I got a FREE Tesoro Silver Umax

devros

Elite Member
Today a customer of mine gave me a 10 out of 10 Silver Umax. I can't believe it, he said he doesn't use it at all and I could get more out of it than he did.

So my question to you is what do I have? How decent of a machine is this, how deep will it go? Tell me all about this machine please. I don't know if it is better than my Ace 250 or not. What is it comparable to? It seems to have just the stock coil on it. Are there many other coils that I can buy for this?

Thanks for all of your advice and info.

I have both ace250 and tesoro silver umax. I think that the ace is better because it is programmable. The silver isnt bad for a beep and dig detector. The price is right to!!! Try it out and see what you think!

Holy crap! Let's just say I have a hard time deciding which detector to use-I have both. It's an awesome detector. First time out, set it to just knock out small foil and dig everything else-it will find coins!

wow, I wish somebody would give me a free detector.

SKiWhiz will come in and tell you how to use it pretty shortly. He and Tabdog both use Tesoros, and with very grood results.
From all the accounts I've read, the Silver Umax is a very good machine and is very well built.

That is awesome! Nice to have options like that. Maybe you'll come to find out that for certain types of hunting or areas, it works better than the ACE. I have no idea but it sounds great to me that you got a free detector from a good company!

I think you will love it if you have never used a Tesoro. It has a super fast recovery time. It is so quiet when hunting that people have been known to hunt with it turned off. :lol: I like to turn the DISC all the way down and crank up the sensitivity almost all of the way until it becomes erratic then back off a bit. I will not even tell you how deep I have hit quarters with the stock coil, but definitely deeper than the ace. Ask SkiWhiz. Coils are pretty cheap for it and I tend to leave the 10x12 on my Silver uMax. It can still sound off on deep dimes and pinpointing is easy. Sometime when you are tired of digging trash, crank up the DISC to 9 or 10 and go on a dime, quarter, and silver spree. But if it was my only machine, my favorite coil for it would be the CleanSweep.

Thanks guys, I just got back with it, my son used it, remind you he is nine. He said that he liked it alot, he is into that tone id detectors. He was brought up on a TrackerIV so he is into that. I like the tone myself also but I also like to have a TID. But that is a nice machine. I will keep it for sure and pick up some coils for it. I am gald that the guy gave it to me for sure. I will try to find the 10X12 coil and the clean sweep. I am also glad that the coils are cheap.

I believe that I have read someplace that there were mods for this detector, does anyone know where to find them at. Thanks again, still would like to hear more from people about it.

Free detector= good time no matter what detector LOL

Thanks guys, I just got back with it, my son used it, remind you he is nine. He said that he liked it alot, he is into that tone id detectors. He was brought up on a TrackerIV so he is into that. I like the tone myself also but I also like to have a TID. But that is a nice machine. I will keep it for sure and pick up some coils for it. I am gald that the guy gave it to me for sure. I will try to find the 10X12 coil and the clean sweep. I am also glad that the coils are cheap.

I believe that I have read someplace that there were mods for this detector, does anyone know where to find them at. Thanks again, still would like to hear more from people about it.

Free detector= good time no matter what detector LOL
No mods. to speak of, you could add an adjustable ground balance pot. if you wanted to but not really needed. In my opinion these are the best detectors made under $250.00 I like them much better than the Ace 250's. I am sure you'll get along with it well, very easy to use but if you have any questions send me a pm and I would be more than happy to give you my phone number if you would ever like to call. Steve.

I forgot to add that while my son was using it last night that he found several pennies at the 6 inch mark. He also found a really nice 58 I believe Wheat penny. That is what sold him on it. I asked him if he wanted to trade it for a really nice pinpointer and his answer was simply NO! So it looks like we wont be getting a nice pinpointer anytime soon.

I like the unit myself I am going to take it to the Air Base that I have been hunting and see how deep I can dig a silver. I am sure that It will find me some deep silver. Just have to listen to that faint beep it makes on those deep targets. Something I am going to have to learn.

Here's a tip for you to try on your Silver uMax. Put it in all metal mode then when you get a beep click it to disc. mode to make sure it isn't iron. You will gain some additional depth in all metal mode. Steve.

Here's a tip for you to try on your Silver uMax. Put it in all metal mode then when you get a beep click it to disc. mode to make sure it isn't iron. You will gain some additional depth in all metal mode. Steve.
But if I do that and it's a good hit but to deep in the disc mode how will I tell if it is good or not? does it make sense what I asked? But I did just read that someplace and thought of the same thing when I read it. But I will give it a try for sure, I will dig everything until I learn the unit and what It is telling me. I only thing that I don't like about it is that It is only one tone for ID and thats it, I would like to have at least a couple of different tones for ID. But I wont complain for something I got for free.

But if I do that and it's a good hit but to deep in the disc mode how will I tell if it is good or not? does it make sense what I asked? But I did just read that someplace and thought of the same thing when I read it. But I will give it a try for sure, I will dig everything until I learn the unit and what It is telling me. I only thing that I don't like about it is that It is only one tone for ID and thats it, I would like to have at least a couple of different tones for ID. But I wont complain for something I got for free.

Yep it's FREE, worst comes to worst, Sell it and get something better.

Yeah I know what you are saying, I mean a "hit" will sound louder in all metal mode than it will in disc. mode. The Silver uMax has only one tone - yes & no. After using it for awhile you will see that there is alot of info when it comes to the tone, hard to explain but the old time Tesoro users will know what I mean. A detector with more than 1 tone drives me nuts. Steve.

a "hit" will sound louder in all metal mode than it will in disc. mode

I find the exact opposite to be true. Sometimes when I get a loud hit and DISC mode I switch to AM to pinpoint and the signal is quieter. Especially on the deeper targets. Doesn't the DISC mode amplifies the signal you hear? And AM is what it is... deeper is fainter...?

Well tonight I broke my silver merc goal, I have always wanted to find one and now I did, however I found it with my 250, but tomorrow my son and I are going to skip school and take out the umax and the 250 to hunt the air base and see if I can get him to find some silver. We are going to take the camera so I hope to have something to show you guys. My son will use the umax since he is the one that really likes it, I will take a turn on it mysef I will update you guys tomorrow after we get back if we find anything.

Back
Top Bottom