Question about 10x12 SEF vs Super12

fir469

Forum Supporter
Just curious if anyone using both coils knows which coil has a deeper detection ability... I use the SEF more because I can run hotter settings, but I'm wondering if the 12 will still punch deeper if set up right... I can't tell much difference other then the SEF I much more stable. I have a site I'm hunting and have found only a few coins but all were old... Wondering if the SEF is going deep enough... I tried a test out at the site and buried a dime at 7" and it picked it up relatively solid but the DC phase was iffy at best... Rang a choppy 80-81 clad dime but DC was around high 60s... Any input??

This is largely Dependant on your ground mineralization. More favorable ground will fall to the Super12 coil. Moderate to high conditions will be more receptive to the SEF coil. Recovery time settings are a major factor with larger coils. Slow that swing time down as well and you will get deeper and more pronounced response from good targets.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

I was hoping you'd chime in Jack!! I love your expanse of knowledge with these Whites... The recent site I've been hunting is a heavily underbrushed wooded area near two historic sites. My ground VDI is close to -88 to -91 it seems after some phase checks. Found 4 old coins, 1862 Indian, 1904 and 1905 Indians and a 1917 merc ranging from 1-4" deep in the traveled path so the soil is harder packed. Out off the trail te soil is much softer and root filled so I'm hoping the coins haven't sunk out of reach. Most shotgun brass (100s) are about 1-7" deep. Also have a considerable amount of iron targets...

What's your recommendation for me and the DFX on settings and coil??

Certainly with shotgun brass that deep I would think that higher density targets could be at that depth as well. Your good targets to date have been shallow. Combining this knowledge with the fact that you feel there is a presence of iron, I would go go with a coil that has better separation like the SEF. If you hit an area with a high level of good finds, I would definitely go back and hit it again with both coils. Make sure and experiment over potential good finds with recovery time and filter settings. Don't forget to have a good time while your at it!

Keep Swing'in
Jack

In my highly minerized soil I get similatrdepth between the 2 with much better separation from the SEF. I can't think of a scenario where the Super 12 would be superior here and will likely be selling it. That said, it a good deep coil and in better soil I'd probably keep it.

Back
Top Bottom