Garrett A250 Pinpointing

Kpiper1980

I am still new to metal detecting I got out a few times last summer into the backyard but then I moved and some other events took place where I was unable to get out and MD until last night at a new location. I use a Garrett A250 and when I would detect in the backyard at my old house I would get a ton of signals and when I dug the target it would take me a long time to locate it if I could at all and I was beginning to wonder if the pinpointer on the machine was accurate. I had a couple of good finds but it seemed I was digging lots of holes with nothing to show for it. When I went out last night into a wooded area at a school it the signals did not occur as often but everytime I got a signal I used the pinpointer and the target was right where it was supposed to be, every target I dug I found something (all trash nothing of significance) but I was wondering if my old backyard was full of junk which caused the pinpointer not to be accurate or if there could have been interference causing me to dig all of those empty holes? Maybe during my time off I magically figured out how to use the detector but I think there is a more scientific explanation. Any thoughts are appreciated.

It could have been the amount of targets in your backyard. OR you might have figured out to pinpoint accurately with it. Leaning more towards one though.

Hey there. I am learning that different locations can make all the difference. Example: my own backyard is very difficult for any of my detectors and very frustrating. I know there are good targets there but I just can't get them. Then I walk across the street to the athletic field and do just fine. Just my experience. GL and HH. Matt

I am still new to metal detecting I got out a few times last summer into the backyard but then I moved and some other events took place where I was unable to get out and MD until last night at a new location. I use a Garrett A250 and when I would detect in the backyard at my old house I would get a ton of signals and when I dug the target it would take me a long time to locate it if I could at all and I was beginning to wonder if the pinpointer on the machine was accurate. I had a couple of good finds but it seemed I was digging lots of holes with nothing to show for it. When I went out last night into a wooded area at a school it the signals did not occur as often but everytime I got a signal I used the pinpointer and the target was right where it was supposed to be, every target I dug I found something (all trash nothing of significance) but I was wondering if my old backyard was full of junk which caused the pinpointer not to be accurate or if there could have been interference causing me to dig all of those empty holes? Maybe during my time off I magically figured out how to use the detector but I think there is a more scientific explanation. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Go to the Garrett factory site. Find the section where it describes the ACE250. Go to Key features. On the right side of that page there are 2 descriptions of the way to use different points of the coil as the pinpoint spot. Check it out. Can't hurt. It might help. I have been using an ACE250 sense they came out. I use the second method to find targets and it works.

tvterry, the old guy from WV.....

I use an ace 250 and from personal experience the pinpointing function is just worthless. Whenever I try it out it goes to full bars in seemingly random locations next to where you think the target will be. I think it also is greatly affected by iron. I just pinpoint by finding the target in two different directions using the normal beeping, works just fine although targets such as beavertail pulltabs and larger than coin size pieces of foil can be a bit confusing to try to pinpoint.

I've really gotten better with mine the more I use it.

Also the ground balancing method (or at least I think this is what it is) seems to work well for me.

When I get a target that sounds repeatable, I do the 90 degree turn and try to locate it again. I take a mental picture of it. I stop swinging and press and hold pinpoint over the area. Once I feel like It is as loud as it is going to get I let go of the pinpoint button and then press it again and move the coil around very slowly. If it is still in the same area, I dig. This also tends to give me an idea of how big the target is by moving it side to side and up/down.

This might be some stupid backwards way I use, but I don't remember the last time I dug a hole without finding anything. BB's and Pellets are frustrating as hell, but I found em'

A good handheld pinpointer works great once you have dug the hole. I really only dig the plug now and go straight for the propointer.

Thanks for all of the tips I think I will also get a pin pointer just haven't gotten around to it and I think that will help locate the targets as well. I just found it strange how I had difficulty locating the targets in one location and then in another I had no trouble at all. I will read up on the functions of the detector as well and see if that helps, but practice makes perfect.

I use an ace 250 and from personal experience the pinpointing function is just worthless. Whenever I try it out it goes to full bars in seemingly random locations next to where you think the target will be. I think it also is greatly affected by iron. I just pinpoint by finding the target in two different directions using the normal beeping, works just fine although targets such as beavertail pulltabs and larger than coin size pieces of foil can be a bit confusing to try to pinpoint.

Hmm, thats unusual. 250 normally pinpoints where the notch is in the front center of the coil.

OK you admitted to being new, you really need to dig at least 100 holes before you have a chance, there are lots of things in the ground, depending on the ground that make false signals, someone can explain this all day long, but untill YOU put in the time to dig the 100 holes no one can help you much.

Yes the targets may have been thick which makes it harder, and yes there are hot rocks in various amounts depending on your location, but it does take in the end some practice. And no ones' help is going to be any real help untill you do in fact dig those holes. Frankly once you do you'll be as big an expert as anyone on here.

It is something that can't be learned in 5 minutes, and can't be explained in a couple of sentences.

Your a newb, no offence we all were at one time, dig your 100 holes, then come back with questions.

Most important thing to remember when starting out is REPEATABILITY. if it doesn't beep in the same place every time you swing just forget about it.

That will at leat get you on targets, and after that you can do some more "fine tuning"

Good luck, remember it does take effort.

I would also suggest to put it in coin mode with 4 bars of sensitivity. The 250 is subject to a lot of falsing at high power. Don't worry it will go plenty deep at 4 and give you a much more stable machine.

Back
Top Bottom