AptX Bluetooth transmitter/receiver

shellhouse

Forum Supporter
Ordered a couple of cheap AptX receiver/transmitter modules to use with detectors for $7.39 ea.

The idea will be to use one as a transmitter on older detectors and one as a receiver on headphones. There's a switch on thing to either TX or RX.

Since I have Quest HD headphones for an XP audio puck, I'm thinking about strapping this on the opposite side and patching to the wired headphone jack. So the headphones could then be used with both the XP module or BT module depending on what's on. One pair of headphones for various units, basically. Will mostly likely use a short patch cable with audio volume adjustment.

edit: scratch that idea since aptx headphones were about $20. Only using the BT module for TX

Any thoughts or experience with these type of modules? Hopefully they don't cause EMI but it's a fairly cheap experiment. Could technically return them if they do cause interference. Will post results either way.

Amanka Mini Bluetooth 4.1 Transmitter/Receiver with 3.5mm Audio Cable, 2-in-1 Wireless Audio Adapter (aptX Low Latency, 2 Devices Simultaneously, for TV/Home Sound System)

Attachments

• amanka aptx.jpg
    amanka aptx.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
Never experienced any emi but have had hit or miss on the latency of some "low latency" bluetooths. Looking forward to your results.

Definitely curious if it'll hold up both in claims and durability for the $. Will test on some known targets to see if it lags compared to the built in speakers.

I recently added one of those modules to transmit to a pair of Bluetooth headphones and going wireless for me has made my time detecting much more enjoyable.

You got a great deal on the modules, mine was $30
I was concerned about latency but it was unwarranted.

These newer modules are great, a couple of years ago I tried to rig up a similar deal for my TV but the audio was out of sync.

Never experienced any emi but have had hit or miss on the latency of some "low latency" bluetooths..

That's the issue I had as well...also on some of the cheaper units the battery life was very short, in the region of about 2 or 3 hours before needing a recharge...

Tested the little module with TaoTronics aptX headphones today on a Tesoro. Seems to be low latency in air tests as compared to the speaker. I think there's a slight delay but it's difficult to tell. Maybe some video slowed down would help show if there's a difference.

The concerns about battery life seem applicable with the size of this tiny module. Rated play time is >6h - not sure I believe it. Will be using a larger battery pack below to power the Tesoro, and the battery has a USB port as well to charge/power this module while operating (according to the instructions for the module this works). Basically, the little battery on the module shouldn't be used while it's connected to the larger batt.

Picture of headphones attached. Also attached is a TalentCell 6000mAh li-ion pack that I'll be using instead of the AA packs on the Tesoro. Will keep all of the factory connections intact and just adapt to them in case AA's need to be installed at a later time. Once the battery pack arrives, I'll cover results for it in a separate thread.

Attachments

• TaoTronics.jpg
    TaoTronics.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 331
  • TalentCell 6000.jpg
    TalentCell 6000.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 334
I have those headphones, I like them. They aren’t Aptx Low Latency, however I found it barely noticeable. I used them with the TaoTronics transmitter on my F75.

I wish you well with your project and eagerly await to hear your results!

I am interested to read if you can hear any delay as that seems to be much debated beyond the device models/codecs used themselves. There has to be a point that less latency is unnoticed, especially when metal detecting with tones. It is not audiophile grade tech needed, and most with a "golden ear" fail ABX tests in bit rate/equipment/etc anyway.

Great to hear you have a solution for the short battery life. I thought of using USB/phone portable chargers but at $20 or more each and I need two (transmitter and receiver) that killed the Bluetooth idea for me.

I have those headphones, I like them. They aren’t Aptx Low Latency, however I found it barely noticeable. I used them with the TaoTronics transmitter on my F75.

Are yours the exact model as these? They seem to be aptX according to the specs and reviews.

If there's a delay here, I'd assume it to be with my module. It's also supposedly aptX though. Will definitely test it out some more and even try some slo-mo video to check.

Are yours the exact model as these? They seem to be aptX according to the specs and reviews.

If there's a delay here, I'd assume it to be with my module. It's also supposedly aptX though. Will definitely test it out some more and even try some slo-mo video to check.

Yes, the exact model. They are AptX, but not AptX LL. Apparently standard Bluetooth has a certain latency, AptX has a bit less latency and AptX LL have the lowest latency. It is almost an imperceptible amount of lag and I found it tolerable. When I purchased my Equinox I paired them and it didn't get the + symbol for low latency. I compared the Miccus SR71 Apex LL with the TaoTronics and I "think" I could tell a difference in lag between the two but I can't be sure. I feel like the TaoTronics are much more sturdy and more comfortable.

Yes, the exact model. They are AptX, but not AptX LL. Apparently standard Bluetooth has a certain latency, AptX has a bit less latency and AptX LL have the lowest latency. It is almost an imperceptible amount of lag and I found it tolerable. When I purchased my Equinox I paired them and it didn't get the + symbol for low latency. I compared the Miccus SR71 Apex LL with the TaoTronics and I "think" I could tell a difference in lag between the two but I can't be sure. I feel like the TaoTronics are much more sturdy and more comfortable.

Thanks, this is great to know. I was curious how they'd pair with the Nox as well.

Will try the BT module on a Nox (in RX setting) when I can - supposedly it is aptX LL but for $7 and change, it'll honestly be a surprise. :D

One of the Amazon reviewers provided some good info. The modules may be aptX LL in RX mode only if correct.

Back
Top Bottom