Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > War Relic Hunting

Old 07-06-2018, 01:13 AM

Default All Need to Read This - My Life Changer

Folks, I thought I'd throw this out there as a caution for everyone in this hobby.

I'd been having an unknown allergic reaction about one time a year. It would start out with unexplained itching in my ears, move into my hands and within minutes, I'd break out into massive hives. I'd have to immediately get some slugs of Benadryl in me and get into a hot shower to get relief from the intense itching. Each time I had a reaction, it seemed to get a little worse. I noticed that the reaction never occurred after eating or after taking meds so it dumbfounded me. I had no idea what was causing it.

About 7 weeks ago, I had another reaction and quickly went into Anaphylaxis shock. I was barely able to get a 911 call out and was found outside by my neighbor. I am lucky to have made it an probably wouldn't be here if it weren't for getting Benadryl in me when I first felt the signs. Even the ER Doctor didn't know what to make of it. After an ambulance trip to the hospital, I met with an Allergist. Subsequent to blood work, I was diagnosed with an Alpha-Gal allergy which was the result of a bite by the Lone Star Tick which is very common here in Virginia. The tick (if its a carrier) releases a Protein which contains the Alpha-Gal which is a sugar or carbohydrate molecule. You body's immune system attacks it as evasive. (I reckon that's right...or close) Because of the bite, I have become allergic to all red meat, beef, lamb pork and possibly all milk products. I was already allergic to fish so you can see how this has impacted me. God help me if chickens ever become extinct.

The day I had my emergency, I had eaten a hamburger around 11:30. I didn't have my reaction until 4:15 or so. I normally takes 3 to 8 hours for red meat to break down and release Alpha-Gal into the blood stream. Yep, red meat also contains Alpha-Gal so my body 's immune system now attacks it, or me, when I consume red meat.

Now I carry Benadryl and EpiPen's with me all the time. Right now, no red meat at all. I'm not sure if this will be life-long or not. I'll be tested again in 6 months.

This allergy has been misdiagnosed by doctors for some time on all kinds of folks. As doctors are now becoming aware of this allergy, more people are properly being diagnosed.

So my reaction consisted of severe hives, itching in the ears and hands and finally Anaphylaxis shock. I have read that symptoms can also include stuffy or running nose, feeling nauseated, vomiting, developing hives or a rash on the skin, sneezing. headaches and shortness of breath.

Ticks are pretty common in this hobby so please take precautions and properly spray off and check for ticks after you get home. This stuff is no joke and has been a life changer for me. I was on the grill every week so this is tough. I've now eaten chicken every way it can be cooked and it gets old quick.

I just talked with a lady today who gets hives every time she eats red meat. I believe she's going to see her doctor to be tested. If I were a betting man.... just saying.

If you or any people you know are having unexplained allergic reactions, this MAY be a culprit. I wanted to put this out here to inform everyone about this allergy and its symptoms. Anaphylaxis is the extreme part of this allergy and can be deadly. My blood pressure dropped dangerously low during my reaction. You can get high blood pressure down but not low pressure up.

Everyone who spends time outside need to be informed about this. I will probably post this on a couple other forums to get the word out.

Get digging!

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:44 AM
Supporter

Tha is for the heads up. Definitely need to take precautions against those little SOB's. Think ive heard this info before, but getting it out there for us is key, thanks.

Hope everything works out for you, good luck and keep us posted.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:19 AM
Elite Member

Thanks for the info,never heard of the allergy.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Supporter

Thanks for the warning - I've seen some news headlines talking about the tick-related meat allergy but this really brings it home.

You can pickup a spray-on Permethrin based product at Walmart or camping stores. I use it on my son's clothing before he goes camping with boy scouts. Once you apply it, the chemical will last through several laundering sessions so it's a great investment around the hem of pant legs or anywhere else a tick might be prone to hitch a ride

Hope your allergy is short-lived and you can get back on that grill soon!

Old 07-06-2018, 09:55 PM
Elite Member

Wow buddy that's a kick in the but. No fish or beef or pork. Damn. No cure for it? I got a buck the other year. It was kind of warm that day & got a tick on my thigh. I found it right away but it was dug in. It developed a red ring around the bite. I went to the doctor right away & got antibiotics. I've been lucky when detecing though. I've felt them crawling on me before they got into me. Take care friend. HH

Old 07-07-2018, 12:26 AM
Elite Member

Thank you for sharing this. I'm very sorry to hear how it's affected you, and I will definitely pray for your recovery!

If I may also add to your warning, I was personally surprised to discover that mosquitoes are carriers of Lyme Disease (the same way they spread other deseases like Malaria). My family found this out the hard way when my sister contracted Lyme from a misquito bite, and was seriously debilitated. We like to use a bug-spray called Herbal Armor for repelling insects such as ticks and mosquitoes. I hope this information is helpful.

... On a happier note, my sister is doing much better now - an amazing answer to prayer! I pray that soon, the same will be true for you.

Romans 10:9 & 10
Oldest coin: 1946 Wheat Penny ~ 2018 totals: $3.59
Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ Bounty Hunter Junior ~ Cen-Tech Pinpointer

Old 07-07-2018, 08:46 AM
Supporter

This world is one inhospitable place for a Human...especially with bugs..My younger and stronger Brother got knocked flat by Lyme a few years ago...said it was the worst thing..so thank you for your words of caution and also best wishes for how you will proceed comfortably...

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:36 PM
Elite Member

Hope all gets better for you. I know that for me, if I couldn't eat beef, I'd starve to death.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:44 PM
Elite Member

Wow thanks for the warning!!! I will be on the lookout for Alpha Gal. I always thought ticks were dangerous! I freak out if I find one. Never new...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-07-2018, 07:27 PM
Supporter

Very sorry to hear about that. That is a very scary situation. Glad you're ok.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:18 PM
Elite Member

My god no meat....Iíd be a goner. Iím a carnitarian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-11-2018, 07:49 PM

Default It's All Good Folks

I recently lost a co-worker with a diagnoses much worse than mine. Old fellow is in new hands now and I miss him. For me, this allergy has been a life changer but I'm still here.

It's a day by day challenge. No more steaks, chilly dogs, hamburgers, roast etc... I just deal with what I have and keep my EpiPens close by. I'll be retested in 6 months to see what my counts is for red meat. Some doctors say the allergy will never change, some say the allergy may go away. I'll just wait and see and hope for the best.

I reckon I posted this so everyone will be extremely careful, take precautions and spray off. Make sure you check after every outing or digging adventure. And if you happen to have any unexplained allergies hours after eating red meat, ticks MAY be related. So many general practitioners are missing this. As much as I've hunted, fished and relic hunted, one of these played a part.

Ain't allergic to digging 3-ringers!

Old 07-21-2018, 07:05 PM
Elite Member

If I ever get a meat allergy, Iíll just go ahead and kill myself.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:20 PM

Hi All; Some friends of ours have a child that has the same or similar allergy. They found that he could eat deer meat so when ever we get a deer we try to save them some. I don't know if that would work for you or not but it might be worth looking into. Both me and my wife have had Lyme disease so we keep a lookout for ticks. Good luck to you all.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:42 AM

Wow, Thanks for the info.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:30 PM

Hang tough Man...you can do it. its good of you to to get this info out. we are tick heavy in Georgia especially in this humid wet year. there is one spot I quit going to because of low amount of finds.. although its been wonderful, its hunted pretty much out now within my machines capability, and the TICKS are horrible. I know there is stuff there, but I was just worried about Lymes... now you show this stuff. I would deet myself down before, wondering about the chemical affects... maybe worse than the ticks. But some things just aint worth the risk.

tofu sucks by the way, but there are other things to eat, watch Zimmern on TV. ... my old captains big belly was called a "Chicken Graveyard" because of his devouring of the local flocks fried southern style.

I wish you luck. I worry with my wifes auto immune breakdown after a tumor and now she is allergic to half the state flora and has lived here all her life.

hang tough... be carefull, medicine is making breakthroughs every day. God be with you.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:58 PM

Default Thanks All

So I go back for testing in October so they can check my blood count numbers. With some folks, if they stay off red meat and keep from getting additional tick bites, the alpha-gal count can drop to they can consume red meat again.

Don't you know I hope that happens.