Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > War Relic Hunting

Old 05-02-2018, 08:45 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists View post
Awesome. Lots of history there. Do you think most of them were fired or dropped? (Sorry for my ignorance if the answer is obvious)
I found one shot bullet. It was a Colt pistol. The rest were disregarded or dropped. That many bullets weren't dropped. They were thrown out. Not lost. Dumped out on the ground & gotten more. I've never found this in a Confederate camp. That may be because the Confederate army wasn't supplied as well.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:56 AM
Elite Member

Jealousy has set in but a big congratulations to you. I would love to find some 3 ringers or anything else pertaining to the Civil War but living in northwest Ohio not going to find it here. Once again great job!

Old 05-03-2018, 05:51 PM

Default chess pieces? man thats awesome!

the split bullet I see as a bishop, the short ones a pawn... I read they made chess pieces out of them somewhere. I have a carved to a point with a line cut that I think might be one.

that's awesome lead. do you think it was maybe a spilled haversack?

Old 05-03-2018, 09:15 PM

Awesome haul!

Old 05-03-2018, 11:01 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by dixiedigger57 View post
the split bullet I see as a bishop, the short ones a pawn... I read they made chess pieces out of them somewhere. I have a carved to a point with a line cut that I think might be one.

They dumped them. There's bullets all over the area. Thanks HH

Old 05-03-2018, 11:03 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Dan B. View post
Jealousy has set in but a big congratulations to you. I would love to find some 3 ringers or anything else pertaining to the Civil War but living in northwest Ohio not going to find it here. Once again great job!
Thanks buddy. There was civil war activity around where I live. Not much do I have to travel myself you find good concentrations of relics. HH

Old 05-04-2018, 07:05 PM
Elite Member

I've ran into a bunch of spots that the only way that there could be that many bullets is to have dumped them. It's not random. From reading about the places I've looked for & the places I've found it makes sense. I've got camps before battles that the got refitted at & dumped all of there old stuff. I've got spots after battles that they were ordered to dump there bullets. This last spot they we're ordered to dump there cartridge boxes for a full on frontal attack. I'm being vague about my area. It's hard to find a relic spot that you can dig 45 bullets in a day anymore. HH

Old 05-08-2018, 07:47 PM
Elite Member

great finds congrats

best finds to date - 1821 capped bust dime ,1853 seated quarter, (2) 1891 seated dimes, 1874 seated dime, 1887 seated dime love token , 1777 half reale ,1805 drapped bust largie, 1914 barber half dollar,1812 classic head largie, 1864 2 cent piece,(1909 barber half dollar with a 1934 walker half dollar in the same hole together)1952 ben franklin half dollar

Old 05-09-2018, 04:03 PM
Elite Member

I found one that looks like a pawn on my last time out

Old 05-17-2018, 02:40 PM
Elite Member

Holy cow, I'd saw a patch of them is right...... Very nice!

Old 05-17-2018, 04:42 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Vermonster View post
Holy cow, I'd saw a patch of them is right...... Very nice!
Thanks buddy. It's a pretty big patch. I haven't worked it out yet. HH

Old 05-22-2018, 04:30 PM
Elite Member

Congrats on the fantastic hunt!

Old 05-23-2018, 10:15 PM

Default Congrats!

Great job there!

I love it when a plan comes together.

I used to take this old fellow hunting with me and really enjoyed his company. He found a lot of great stuff over the years. Relic hunting got to be a little one sided on the spots we hunted..... mostly my spots (Ha!). He called me up one Sunday and wanted to go hunting. So I flat out asked him, hey you reckon we can hit one of your old spots today? There was a 15 second pause on the phone and he says, I guess I have an old spot we hunt.

I meet him and he jumps in my truck and we drive to a patch of woods and park. I really suspect by the way he was acting he had probably pounded this place to death over the years and we wouldn't find a whole lot. We hit the woods and split up. About an hour of hunting I dug 1 three-ringer and some melted lead. Yep, it had been hit hard. I thought about going back to the truck but look towards the edge of the woods and see a big dried patch of Blue Berry vines. I slide on over to the edge and start stepping them down. I immediately hit a target which was a brass spoon off one of the folding fork/spoon sets. I got cut to death with briars but dug over 30 nip-nose Confederate 3-ringers with the plug base out of that spot. I think they were from the Fayetteville arsenal in NC. It started sprinkling about half way through my dig but I never had so much fun.

It ended up raining pretty hard and I walk back to the truck and old dude is sitting inside. He tells me he found an old flat button and a J hook of a knap sack. Man, when I opened my dig bag and showed him what I found, he couldn't believe it. He acted happy for me but I don't believe he was. I've haven't heard from him since. Kind of sad really because you can't let stuff like that get you down. I just got a little lucky that day.

I actually rode by that patch of wood a month ago and actually chuckle at the whole situation. There is nothing you'll be able to take with you when your gone. But man O man, nothing like hitting a spot and digging bullet after bullet.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:13 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Waterhead View post
Great job there!

I love it when a plan comes together.

I used to take this old fellow hunting with me and really enjoyed his company. He found a lot of great stuff over the years. Relic hunting got to be a little one sided on the spots we hunted..... mostly my spots (Ha!). He called me up one Sunday and wanted to go hunting. So I flat out asked him, hey you reckon we can hit one of your old spots today? There was a 15 second pause on the phone and he says, I guess I have an old spot we hunt.

I meet him and he jumps in my truck and we drive to a patch of woods and park. I really suspect by the way he was acting he had probably pounded this place to death over the years and we wouldn't find a whole lot. We hit the woods and split up. About an hour of hunting I dug 1 three-ringer and some melted lead. Yep, it had been hit hard. I thought about going back to the truck but look towards the edge of the woods and see a big dried patch of Blue Berry vines. I slide on over to the edge and start stepping them down. I immediately hit a target which was a brass spoon off one of the folding fork/spoon sets. I got cut to death with briars but dug over 30 nip-nose Confederate 3-ringers with the plug base out of that spot. I think they were from the Fayetteville arsenal in NC. It started sprinkling about half way through my dig but I never had so much fun.

It ended up raining pretty hard and I walk back to the truck and old dude is sitting inside. He tells me he found an old flat button and a J hook of a knap sack. Man, when I opened my dig bag and showed him what I found, he couldn't believe it. He acted happy for me but I don't believe he was. I've haven't heard from him since. Kind of sad really because you can't let stuff like that get you down. I just got a little lucky that day.

I actually rode by that patch of wood a month ago and actually chuckle at the whole situation. There is nothing you'll be able to take with you when your gone. But man O man, nothing like hitting a spot and digging bullet after bullet.
Cool story buddy. Yes nothing like digging bullet after bullet. I've been working 7 days a week & last weekend I worked 12 he days so no digging. Now this weekend it's on. I hope it doesn't rain. I'll definitely hunt Monday. Looking for another 50 bullet day. Hope a plate comes to light also. The ground is bad at this spot. A good vlf only gets a bullet at 6"-7". It's never been hunted with a GPX. I'm the first person. My buddy's don't want to go because of this. I mean they still find a dozen good targets. Have you been out any? HH

Old 07-21-2018, 09:50 PM
Elite Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Digger70pa View post
Too bad you didn't live closer buddy lol.

I live close enough , hint hint

Old 10-31-2018, 10:04 AM

great job !!!!!!!I was in Cashtown and pulled 6 ..... 5 2 ringers and a carbine. I thought yes! as fast as the fun started it all ended. I went back to the same area and didn't find another thing. that was the most I ever found in one day. love the home made hollow point you found.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:26 AM

You can start your own lead mine!!! very cool...

Kawasaki Mule Trans Diesel XP Deus 5.2 w/X35 XP Mi6 pinpointer Etraq w/Sunray X1 Bandido 2 Umax, Garrett Z Lynk wireless, Tesoro Tejon, Lobo Super Traqs (2), Troy Shadow X2, Tesoro Mojave, Tiny Tec Pinpointer 3 shovels and a lot of batteries.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:56 AM
Supporter

Great saves, congratulations.

2018 TOTALS 38 SILVERS, 20 IHP, 36 Wheats, 4 RINGS
CTX 3030, XP DEUS, AT Propointer

Old 11-03-2018, 03:23 PM
Supporter

Definitely makes for a good day!!

Old 11-04-2018, 08:19 PM
Elite Member

EPIC.... I haven't found that many in my whole life!!!!