Confederate shell?

Yergaderga

Hi! I recently detected this thing with the AT Pro, and I have no idea what it is. I'm detecting a spot in PA where the Confederates supposedly camped, and I finally found something I think could prove that they were in fact there. I could be totally wrong, of course! I'll post some pictures in a collage. It has a threaded rod in the back, that may go through the front too (not sure) and a raised lip around the back, as well as some symbols or letters possibly-some kind of raised pattern- on the back near the rod.
Thanks for your help!

Andy

Attachments

• 20180819_230152.jpg
    20180819_230152.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 586
Definitely looks like an artillery shell fuse/cap. I'll ask a CW historian friend and see if he has an idea.

I forgot to mention this in my original post, but it has flattened areas on either side of it (I'll post a picture). As for the markings near the rod coming out of the back, I can't tell if they are actually words or not. I think i may put it in electrolysis again for a while and see if I can't clear them up a bit. I'll post a picture of those too, closer up.
Thanks,

Andy

Attachments

• 20180821_125112.jpg
    20180821_125112.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 438
  • 20180821_125605.jpg
    20180821_125605.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 444
Is the post welded in or screwed in? The cap on the nose, is that also welded or is (was) it removable or screwed in?

Is the post welded in or screwed in? The cap on the nose, is that also welded or is (was) it removable or screwed in?

It's hard to tell at the moment. I'm currently running it through electrolysis to try to clean the crust off of it and see if I can learn a little more about it. The cap (if that is a cap and not just a big dent or something) looks like it could be a separate piece, in which case it might be screwed in. It looks like where the rod is bent it took some of the metal from the main part with it, which could mean it is hollow, but everything is speculation at the moment. I'll have to get back to you later if i can get some more detail out of it.
Thanks!

This mystery is getting interesting. LOL Where in Pa did you find this? Was it near an army firing range? (Like Tobyhanna maybe? I did a pipeline project there a ways back where we had to get EOD guys to clear an area that was once a firing range.) Do the flats on each side look like they were made for a wrench? Are there any signs of screw threads on the shaft? Are the "Antiques Road Show" guys around in your area to ask? LOL

This was in a residential area that has been a small town since probably the 1700s. The house is along a road that is a known Civil War trail that some of the Confederates took through PA. I don't think there are or have been any army firing ranges in the area, so I can't imagine it would be anything modern (hopefully not because that stuff is much more dangerous than 150 year old gunpowder). The rod in the center is threaded, and I knocked some more of the gunk off after several more hours in electrolysis so the threading is easier to see. It appears as though the rod does go down through the center, but I'm not sure because it also looks like it may have some welds around it. Still can't make out the shapes on the back that look to be lettering or something. I'll post an updated photo collage below. I think I'll also put this in the general ID section since it could very well be some household item. Almost forgot-the flat areas could be for a wrench, but it would have to have long tines to reach the flat parts, since they're fairly small. You can take a closer look at the photos and see what you think.
Sorry about the wordiness

Attachments

• 20180821_231306.jpg
    20180821_231306.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 398
No luck yet. But I found this guy who is supposed to know all about the CW artillery.

Jack W. Melton, Jr., he's the publisher of The Artilleryman magazine

and the Civil War News [email protected]

It does have a shape that looks like the tip of an artillery shell.

But I have been thinking it is a tip to a drilling rig. The threaded rod, flats, for wrench, and raised rim to mate to the drill rod is what I see.

This would be for the reciprocating impact type drill, hammer (not a rotary drill).

No luck yet. But I found this guy who is supposed to know all about the CW artillery.

Jack W. Melton, Jr., he's the publisher of The Artilleryman magazine

and the Civil War News [email protected]

That's funny, I just found his site last night. I think I'll have to consult him. I've been all over the internet, and no shells match the exact shape of this piece of metal. Thanks for the help- I'll have to send him an email.

It does have a shape that looks like the tip of an artillery shell.

But I have been thinking it is a tip to a drilling rig. The threaded rod, flats, for wrench, and raised rim to mate to the drill rod is what I see.

This would be for the reciprocating impact type drill, hammer (not a rotary drill).

You could very well be correct. I'm having no luck finding a shell that matches this shape, and that has a detachable nose like this one would have to have if it were a shell. I'm going to try emaiing the person RBachman suggested just in case, but if he says it's not I may put this on the regular ID section instead to see what people think. Do you have any images of the type of drill hammer bit you're thinking of?
Thanks!

Andy

I wish I could help you with this one but I really don't have a clue. I did subscribe to this thread in hopes that you can get it identified and post it. I'm really curious as well, definately a unique find.

I wish I could help you with this one but I really don't have a clue. I did subscribe to this thread in hopes that you can get it identified and post it. I'm really curious as well, definately a unique find.

I'm gonna try to get it ID'd. I contacted Jack Melton Jr. He does not recognize it. So shell is out of the question. I'll try to remember to update you guys if I get an ID. For now it's going on the ID page. Thanks for all your help!

Do not believe a artilery shell..to smooth..if so its been cut in half and used as a weight

Do not believe a artilery shell..to smooth..if so its been cut in half and used as a weight

It isn't. I put some pictures over in the ID forums to see if anyone can tell what it actually is.
Thanks for your help!

Andy

If it's cast iron.. which it appears to be..then the welds would have to be nickel...can't weld cast iron generally speaking..too brittle..it was attached to a flat surface for certain..and meant to add weight or just have strength..the threaded post area is clearly recessed ...a design technique which creates a rim ..when two surfaces are to be flush...old pipe wrench easily fit them two flat spots... without those it would be a bear to tighten...

If it's cast iron.. which it appears to be..then the welds would have to be nickel...can't weld cast iron generally speaking..too brittle..it was attached to a flat surface for certain..and meant to add weight or just have strength..the threaded post area is clearly recessed ...a design technique which creates a rim ..when two surfaces are to be flush...old pipe wrench easily fit them two flat spots... without those it would be a bear to tighten...

Oh. Maybe it isn't welding. The welded looking area might just be deformation from the post being bent. Thanks for the help! The search continues...

Back
Top Bottom