People like this really tick me off...

The Jersey Digger

Elite Member
So a couple weekends ago my town had an annual festival. It attracts tens of thousands of people. I saw my neighbor there promoting his church with many other members there including the pastor. I mention to him about detecting some 27 acres of farmland they own where they plan on building a church about 5 years down the line. He refers me to the pastor whom I will name pastor Mary for this. As I speak with pastor Mary about it she sees no issue but just would just have to confirm it with the church board. Fast forward to today and her admin asst calls me back. She said that pastor Mary wants to offer it to anyone in her congregation to detect it. She thinks that if there are any valuables there that they should go to the church. I told her this is a hobby and the chances of finding anything real valuable is about as much chance as hitting the powerball. I said it is my hobby, not a money making job. Any coins that do come out are usually pretty well toasted. Oh but she thanked me for the idea. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

For the most part churches are greedy. Not always but mostly. All they ever think of is money and how they can make more. If she thinks the church is going to strike it rich, she has another thing coming to her. I am so ticked right now:mad::mad::mad:

If you are religious, please do not take this personally. This is simply how I feel and I am just venting to my fellow hunters. Just needed to get this off my chest...Thank you...

You should have just said OK, hunted the field, kept the goodies and gave her all the trash and crusty pennies.. At lest you would be hunting it.

Oh yeah thats right... Watch your gonna pass by the church and theres gonna be someone from the church detecting it. lol messed up.

Tell me about it. I plan on saying something to my neighbor though when I see him. My wife was seriously thinking about joining them. Not if I can help it now...

Maybe she should have asked you to participate and help out her congregation members instead of excluding you, but it's not out of line for her to want to allow her church members at it as they support the congregation financially.
Can you go back and offer your knowledge of our hobby? Maybe turn this into a "Win-Win" for both parties! :D Good luck!

Maybe she should have asked you to participate and help out her congregation members instead of excluding you, but it's not out of line for her to want to allow her church members at it as they support the congregation financially.
Can you go back and offer your knowledge of our hobby? Maybe turn this into a "Win-Win" for both parties! :D Good luck!

They have a facebook page. Im thinking of how to word it and will use your suggestion...Thanks Ron...

Well, Greed is one of the Seven Deadly Sins. Shame on her.
But on your end, so is Wrath, so don't do anything foolish...

Join..Detect...then Quit

I agree with a previous post...you should join the church just to detect the field. I know people who join the church to play softball for free, then after the season they are nowhere to be found. Then again, she did say she wanted everything you find to go to the church.

thats why I would of just went and did it real early in the morning,,, :laughing:

there needs to be a different approach when asking for permission or something that doesn't hint at old coins or jewlery,, we need to ask something to the effect of

Hi Sir I study soil minerals as a hobby and I use a special machine to help me locate these minerals which are usually no more than 1' down into the top soil and sometimes very fine particles is it okay if I do this private study on your property and while searching I will also remove any sharp nails, any glass I see or any other metal objects that do not belong there???

I promise to leave the area just as I found it.

Tell Pastor Mary, that the church has a better chance of striking it rich , if her Congregation members were to camp out at the local Coinstars :D

They should be able to run shifts around the clock .. LOL :)

Take everything you find into the church and have them value it all then take it as a charitable donation then offset it against your taxes....win, win

If the assesment is so much higher then lucky you and you can put in the cost of a coin tumbler to clean the clad etc etc...ramp up the costs, keep the receipts and offset it...after all the church is going to do it i guarentee:yes:

Well if it is a new church they are all about the money because they need to pay off the debt of building the new church. You could always go up to her and start speaking in tongues and mention detector and let him. I mean cause if god wants you to detect there you must follow. Or you could always hide somewhere close to her in the church and whisper in the voice from field of dreams.... if you let him detect they will come.

HA! The question is do any of the churchs members even MD? If none of them do then they aren't gonna find anything to begin with. Of course, maybe they will be foolish enough to buy a new $100 MD thinking they will easily make the money back. People just don't understand how difficult it is to learn and use a machine effectively. HH

Back
Top Bottom