Mill ball or canister shot pics

Dfxcobb

Thanks for the directions for loading up pics. Found this cat iron ball the other day and i have looked at the specs for canister shots and that is the closest it relates by measurements. It is 2.21-2.24 diameter (inches) and i vould not get an acurate weight. Somewhere between 1.3-1.6 lbs. I did not see a visual mold seam but it does have a flat spot about size of a dime. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161017-173106.jpg
    Screenshot_20161017-173106.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 20161017_085213.jpg
    20161017_085213.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 195
Thanks for the directions for loading up pics. Found this cat iron ball the other day and i have looked at the specs for canister shots and that is the closest it relates by measurements. It is 2.21-2.24 diameter (inches) and i vould not get an acurate weight. Somewhere between 1.3-1.6 lbs. I did not see a visual mold seam but it does have a flat spot about size of a dime. Any help would be appreciated

Could be a mill ball, might even be grapeshot.
Here is a thread I put up when I found a big iron ball and didn't have a clue about it with pictures you can compare to.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=58635

Mine is more likely canister shot which many are loaded into a casing like a big ol' shotgun shell.
Grapeshot is bigger about the size of yours also in canisters but with less of them mounted in rings between metal plates.
Both deadly, you did not want to be in the way of either kind if they were fired in your direction.

Thanks for the info. Im in NW AL and there were a few skirmishes here and this is the first year i have actually concentrated on the civil war relics and just trying to become more knowledgeable on the finds..thanks

Back
Top Bottom