Yamhill County, Oregon? (and a hello from Taylor)

Taylor

hello everyone, I recently discovered this hobby a few weeks ago and I am quite excited to get started. I am only 16, but I am not an average 16 year old, I enjoy exploring, wilderness survival, and building things. this hobby looks like a great way to make new friends and find many great historical items! and I can't wait to get my first detector and start going MDing!

1 setback: Yamhill county, Oregon isn't exactly a historically revolutionary place. Other than the Oregon trail by lewis and clark...

long story short: does anyone know of any good historical places to start MDing in Oregon? also, any tips on a first detector? (mid-range budget):tumble:

-Thanks A bunch, Taylor

Welcome to the forum Taylor. It's a fun hobby. It gets you outdoors to places you would never have gone if you weren't MDing. You'll get a lot of help on this forum, loads of nice people. You might want to look at a Garrett ACE 250, I hear they're a decent machine at a fair price. I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions. Good luck and good hunting.
Ed

Wecome, the Ace 250 is a verry good machine. Light weight, very easy to use as a first detector, it will find you some nice goodies and inexpensive..
I paid $212.00 for mine through KellyCo which has a banner up top and am very pleased..

Bruce

Welcome Taylor! When you get your detector try detecting the woods, creeks, and fields.

Of course the first and best place to practice is in your backyard.

Taylor,

Yamhill county has a lot of history and opportunity for the MD'er. My wife was born and raised in Sheridan and I've traveled that area extensively. Historically it was near the end of the Oregon Trail (Oregon City) and Sheridan got it's name from General Phil Sheridan who ended his march there.

You need to locate some of the old timers in your area to get permission to search some of those old homesteads. I found that most would allow me access if I treated them and their property with respect. I also stopped back in to see them when I was done to show them what I had found.

If you have a spirit for adventure, there are also many unmarked homesteads back in the national forest. It takes some effort and the ability to recognize today what was once a cabin, but the rewards can be great. Plus, there usually aren't a lot of trash signals to deal with. ;)

A Big Howdy from Alabama! your going to love this hobby, having fun and being in the great outdoors is what life is all about, well, and finding silver too.

thanks for the welcome everyone! I just got done ordering my first detector and accessories from KellyCo! I went for the Ace 250, as it seemed fairly basic, yet good quality.

check it out!

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/garrett/garrett-ace250.htm

now I CAN'T WAIT until it get's here! I want to start practicing around our property and a couple soccer fields I know of at an elementary school :D

only problem is I ALWAYS have tons of homework lol! the AP US history class is killin me!

Gee, you got about 12 ghost towns right in your home county. Did you know that? Dayton has a park where an old fort was located at, you most likely knew that though.

wow! I actually didn't know that...thanks for the tip!

I found that almost every ghost town in Oregon, and northern California seem to be abandoned GOLD mines. the towns find gold, the boom, then bust. once I get more experienced (and my D. Liscense) I will have to check them out!

Best of luck, this hobby will grow with experience. Make shure to check out those old farm houses and settlements and stick with the AP courses!!

Taylor there are hundreds of them very close to you. When I get more time I will post some of them in the Oregon Treasure Stories.

What is AP history? I never took a book home from school in my life. I was flunking and the folks offered money for grades.

AP courses are harder classes than normal. the AP stands for Advanced Placement. The AP US history course is by far the toughest because of all the reading, essays, Documents and all that other great stuff..... School has really changed since you guys probably went!
but yeah I'll keep doing som eresearch on my area here. I really appreciate your help everyone, and good news....my detector got shipped so I should get it soon!:roll: :D :tumble:

AP courses are harder classes than normal. the AP stands for Advanced Placement. The AP US history course is by far the toughest because of all the reading, essays, Documents and all that other great stuff..... School has really changed since you guys probably went!
but yeah I'll keep doing som eresearch on my area here. I really appreciate your help everyone, and good news....my detector got shipped so I should get it soon!:roll: :D :tumble:
I feel sorry for these younger folks these days, they will never know what it is like to set fire to an out house.

Taylor,
You definitely picked a great machine! I wish you happy hunting and lots of luck. Please let me know if there is anything that i can do for you!
Kellyco Chick

Good luck Taylor!! Where in Oregon is Yamhill County? I had family in Columbia City on the Columbia Hwy out to Astoria.

Yamhill County, Oregon?

Welcome to the family. You have a lifetime of enjoyment ahead of you. Get your education and everything else will fall into place. Best of luck with your grades and your finds.

I know nothing about your area but wanted to welcome you to the forum.
there's a wealth of information here and you can get help any time you need it.

Back
Top Bottom