Xterra coils. looking at the Minelab 15" DD for 705

tinsmith

Elite Member
Hey guys, hope some of you Xterra swingers have some experience with the Minelab 15" DD coil.

1.I'm wondering if the wieght will be too much on me? I'm 59 yrs old this april and with all my meds I get fatigued much easier than my better times.
2. There's a nice price at a big box store on the 15" DD 7.5 khz.
But......I'm a coin shooter most hunts and I love my Coiltek 3khz 6"Digger coil they have the 15"DD in 3khz as well. Not on sale though!
Hmmmm, what to do?

I’ll take a crack at it,my experience anyhow.
I found my oldest coin in a hunted out area,1844 large cent with a 7.5 coiltek wot coil,yea that big orange thing.They’re black now,way cooler looking.The coil was deep,no question.My experience was that it missed shallower targets though,which I guess is good seeming you want at least 6 inches or better anyway when using it.
I was asked once why I thought it missed the shallow targets,well I rehunted spots with another machine and picked up a ton of clad that was only 2inchs deep..coulda been masked I guess,who knows.
But they are heavy,and from my understanding the 3 kHz is the heaviest of the 3 15 inch coils.
I also had a 7.5 tornado coil,much lighter and just as deep imo.If I were to do it again I’d get the tornado for the xterra.And I think 7.5 is a better all around frequency,good for Everything.
If you post in the wanted ads you’ll get a reply if you want one,as a matter of fact I saw a 15 inch coiltek 3khz not long ago for sale for $140,,If your interested personal message me and I’ll tell you were it’s at.It is the newer black one.
Good luck with whatever you choose,but I’ve always felt the best coil for the xterra was the 10.5 mf coil.The xterra 705 is probably in the top 3 best single frequency coin machines made,regardless of price.

I’ll take a crack at it,my experience anyhow.
I found my oldest coin in a hunted out area,1844 large cent with a 7.5 coiltek wot coil,yea that big orange thing.They’re black now,way cooler looking.The coil was deep,no question.My experience was that it missed shallower targets though,which I guess is good seeming you want at least 6 inches or better anyway when using it.
I was asked once why I thought it missed the shallow targets,well I rehunted spots with another machine and picked up a ton of clad that was only 2inchs deep..coulda been masked I guess,who knows.
But they are heavy,and from my understanding the 3 kHz is the heaviest of the 3 15 inch coils.
I also had a 7.5 tornado coil,much lighter and just as deep imo.If I were to do it again I’d get the tornado for the xterra.And I think 7.5 is a better all around frequency,good for Everything.
If you post in the wanted ads you’ll get a reply if you want one,as a matter of fact I saw a 15 inch coiltek 3khz not long ago for sale for $140,,If your interested personal message me and I’ll tell you were it’s at.It is the newer black one.
Good luck with whatever you choose,but I’ve always felt the best coil for the xterra was the 10.5 mf coil.The xterra 705 is probably in the top 3 best single frequency coin machines made,regardless of price.
Thanks, that says a lot. I have the 10.5 DD mid Freq. I don't think I gave it a chance So I saw no better VDI or depth than my other coils. I need to put it back on and hit my new place. What happend was, while in Winslow/Waterville Maine visiting I hunted two parks and I got less than a dollar in clad! All the while I used the 10.5 7.5 khz. 4 hr hunt in a park that once had an old school house. 62 cents clad. Frustrated I pulled the new 10.5 off and just plunked the 10×5 on.
Location was my problem. I know better. Place must have been pounded hard. Both Maine parks must be slim pickins left. May just stick with what I have and be gratefull I have what I do. Thanks guy.

If you are a coin shooter i would honestly consider going with a smaller coil instead. There is a NEL sharpshooter for the xterra that looks really nice...

I'm a few years your senior, and my 6" and 15" 3kHz coils get about 90% of my swing time. Of course it all depends on what you hunt and where you're hunting for it. For what I do the two Coiltek/Minelab 3kHz DD coils and the 10.5" Minelab 7.5kHz DD are my most useful, with the 15" HF coming in fourth.

Wood Butcher is right. The 15" 3kHz is the heaviest @ nearly 2lbs, but after swinging my Explorer it doesn't feel too bad, just nose heavy, and keeping the shaft short enough to just clear my toes prevents the need to hold it out to where it fatigues my arm.

The key to finding small stuff with the big coils is two-fold. You need to be somewhere that the trash density isn't too bad, and you need to go slow. Hunting in AM will teach you what speed to sweep, as well as indicate whether you need a smaller coil or not.

As far as who's coils to use.....
Knowing what I do (that not many others in the world do) about the firmware programming involved, I would NOT recommend any coils not made by Minelab or Coiltek. There are certain things that simply cannot be reverse engineered by the eastern European pirates producing coils w/o authorization that make their coils inaccurate and therefore inadequate. It's not anything that you would notice....because you can't know what they've missed. Do yourself a favor and skip them. Coiltek works directly with Minelab to develop coils, so they have access to information unavailable to any other company. There's a lot more to the all digital aspects of V-Flex™ and SmartCoil™ technology than any other coils for any other machines than the Xterra(s), CTX, and soon to be Equinox, so unauthorized third party coils should be avoided.

Hope this helps. GL & HH!

I'm a few years your senior, and my 6" and 15" 3kHz coils get about 90% of my swing time. Of course it all depends on what you hunt and where you're hunting for it. For what I do the two Coiltek/Minelab 3kHz DD coils and the 10.5" Minelab 7.5kHz DD are my most useful, with the 15" HF coming in fourth.

Wood Butcher is right. The 15" 3kHz is the heaviest @ nearly 2lbs, but after swinging my Explorer it doesn't feel too bad, just nose heavy, and keeping the shaft short enough to just clear my toes prevents the need to hold it out to where it fatigues my arm.

The key to finding small stuff with the big coils is two-fold. You need to be somewhere that the trash density isn't too bad, and you need to go slow. Hunting in AM will teach you what speed to sweep, as well as indicate whether you need a smaller coil or not.

As far as who's coils to use.....
Knowing what I do (that not many others in the world do) about the firmware programming involved, I would NOT recommend any coils not made by Minelab or Coiltek. There are certain things that simply cannot be reverse engineered by the eastern European pirates producing coils w/o authorization that make their coils inaccurate and therefore inadequate. It's not anything that you would notice....because you can't know what they've missed. Do yourself a favor and skip them. Coiltek works directly with Minelab to develop coils, so they have access to information unavailable to any other company. There's a lot more to the all digital aspects of V-Flex™ and SmartCoil™ technology than any other coils for any other machines than the Xterra(s), CTX, and soon to be Equinox, so unauthorized third party coils should be avoided.

Hope this helps. GL & HH!

As always your help is greatly appreciated. Love my little coiltek 3 khz Digger Coil.thanks LH. HH.

Back
Top Bottom