So a dirty coin is worth more than a clean coin?

ace250

So I have read a ton of threads about cleaning coins and they all seem to have a plethera of effective solutions for cleaning coins but they also caveat every method by saying not to clean valuable coins.

I am confused because some of the IH, wheats, 2cent, etc. coins are pretty dirty and take some really hard toothbrush and soap scrubbing to get not even close to "clean". I have considered some of the methods listed on this site but am really worried that I will destroy the value of the coins. Even if I am cleaning a common wheatie I still want to do it in a neumasitacally appropriate way, if for nothing more than practice for when I have a valuable coin. For the record, I am not talking about taking a wire brush to a silver coin, I am interested in more of the soaking of pennies in H202 or other similar methods (e.g., acetone) - these destroy the value of key date coins?

So what's the deal - just never clean a potentially valuable coin? I am not looking to sell my coins, but I would personally never buy one of these dirty coins but maybe coin collectors value the crud on dug coins?

Thanks.

I clean all my coins to the best of my ability.

I am not into the value of coins or key dates or any of that stuff. I just don't want my coin to look like it came from a tar pit so I try to clean them. I also wont sell my coins or anything of interest I dig.

I just try to make them look nice and throw them in a cigar box and forget about them until I add more to the pile.

If you are into the value of your coins I would advise you to not clean them further than soaking them in water and maybe a gentle wash with dish soap.

This is an excellent question. I find it hard to believe that many of the crusty coppers I've found are truly worth the values I've seen in the red book. Would love to hear what a professional coin appraiser has to say.

Why not clean the silver ones using the aluminum foil, hot water and baking soda solution that is like a low power electrolysis? It cleans them right up without scratching them.

It seems to almost be a catch-22 on dug coins. If a coin is sent in for grading with corrosion and other crud from the ground, it get the "environmental damage" tag. If the crud is cleaned off, the coin then gets the "incorrectly cleaned" tag.

The simple answer is "yes". No matter how bad a coin looks, when you clean it you stand the chance of scratching it. Even if you don't sctach it (chemical cleaning), it will degrade the surface. It may looks nicer, but the value to a collector is less. You'll see coins that are appraised by reputable companies (NGC, PCGS, etc.) that won't even have a grading on it; rather it will say "Cleaned". I've seen Morgans that look pretty nice, but are labeled as cleaned. If you're not selling the coin, it doesn't matter if you want to clean it and make it pretty. It'd be a shame, though, if you clean it, then decide in ten years that you want to sell some stuff and can only get a fraction of what you could have. It's always best verify that the coin is not a key date before you clean. Although opinions vary on who grades the best and what the actual value of a coin is, a website like Numismedia Price Guide will give a fair idea if a coin is valuable or not, and whether or not you should clean it. You can also but the Red Book and take it with you. I've cleaned coins that I've found, but I try to look them up first to make sure that they are common. Curt

+1,000,000,001

If you value a coin for its numismatic value, NEVER clean it more than rinsing the dirt off.

So what should I do with this, Looks like 1885 if so G-4 would be 550 dollars.. I hate nickels.. :lol:

vnic-1.jpg

Third party graders (PCGS, NGC, etc) do offer accepted restoration procedures for coins...but a DIY clean is sure to keep any key date finds from netting top numismatic value.

No dug coin, except a rarely clean silver will ever be worth one that was never in the ground..

No dug coin, except a rarely clean silver will ever be worth one that was never in the ground..

Correct, I didn't mean to imply a dug coin would bring top numismatic value as a non-dug. Rather a range of top numismatic for a DUG coin-- as in, one that is harshly cleaned vs. one that has not been.

I posted this in a similar thread. It's funny, the nuministic (sp?) attitude towards cleaning. Some of these coins have in the ground for CENTURIES. They have weathered freezing, thawing, rain, drought, chemicals from leaves/soil/fertilizers and being rubbed by soil and rocks and roots for decades.

but WOAH THERE SON! .... HOW DARE YOU USE A SOFT BRISTLE TOOTHBRUSH AND SOAPY WATER!

that'll ruin the value!

hahaha

crazy stuff

(that said, I'd never clean a key date)

So what should I do with this, Looks like 1885 if so G-4 would be 550 dollars.. I hate nickels.. :lol:

vnic-1.jpg

To me it looks like a cull coin. I cannot see any date or details. Not worth much. I don't think you can hurt this coin or its value.

In the case of silver aren't those coins worth more sold for remelt than trying to sell it to a picky collector? Coins that have been in the soil for decades exposed to weather, rain and friction will always look like crud. The only ones that will be all nice and unscratched will be the never circulated ones. So what's the point trying to sell to collectors if they are going to be that picky? No matter what it is if its silver or gold who cares the metal is worth a lot more than face value anyway.

In the case of silver aren't those coins worth more sold for remelt than trying to sell it to a picky collector? Coins that have been in the soil for decades exposed to weather, rain and friction will always look like crud. The only ones that will be all nice and unscratched will be the never circulated ones. So what's the point trying to sell to collectors if they are going to be that picky? No matter what it is if its silver or gold who cares the metal is worth a lot more than face value anyway.

Silver coins tend to clean up nicely with just running water, and maybe a soft toothbrush. It's the copper and bronze coins that are usually the problem. A forum member (Goes4ever) found a 1916D Merc this year that was professionally graded and slabbed. He cleaned it carefully enough that it was not marked as "cleaned", so it is worth much more than melt value.

I can buy coins that have never been in the ground for bullion price at my coin shop. Common date coins that are heavily worn will always be worth scrap value.

Back
Top Bottom