Second day detecting back yard, 1894 indian head

XexorZ

Hi All,

First off - thanks for this great resource - I've been lurking and finally got a detector (Ace 350) and have been using it as much as I can in my backyard.

I happen to live in an old house (built late 1800s) and most of the yard is ash with a thin layer of topsoil - stuff seems to settle on top of the ash which is pretty convenient.

Anyhow - I have no idea how to properly clean this penny... and I know "don't clean it!" - but I can't even see the features on it (but know they are there!)

What is "acceptable" cleaning?

Thanks much - have read so much confusing contradictions, would love to hear your take on my first cool coin!

Will post pic if I ever manage to get it clean without wrecking it.

Clean them

I clean my coins,when they left the mint they were shiny & new not covered
with crud.There are proper & safe ways to clean your coins just be careful
not to damage them.Bottom line...what good is digging out a coin if you cant
see what you've got. :D

An 1894 IH has a little more value than others but it is not really a key date especially since it was dug up. I found an 1875 Ih and used this method and it works real well. Fill a shot class with hydrogen peroxide. Nuke it for 30 seconds. Put the coin in and after 10 minutes take it out and run under water and use a soft toothbrush. It should look alot better. You can repeat this method a couple times too. Also after the hot bath you can use a toothpick to get more crud off...Hope this helps and congrats on the find...

Would you do this on a key date IH?

An 1894 IH has a little more value than others but it is not really a key date especially since it was dug up. I found an 1875 Ih and used this method and it works real well. Fill a shot class with hydrogen peroxide. Nuke it for 30 seconds. Put the coin in and after 10 minutes take it out and run under water and use a soft toothbrush. It should look alot better. You can repeat this method a couple times too. Also after the hot bath you can use a toothpick to get more crud off...Hope this helps and congrats on the find...

If not, how do you clean the "good" coins?

Got daring and used olive oil and a toothbrush...

Hi all - thanks for all of the great ideas! I didn't want to try the hydrogen peroxide trick on this coin (I will try it on newer non-clads just to see what happens though!) because the patina is so sweet on this coin (I think it is brass this year?)

Anyhow I used an olive oil soak (just a few hours - I'm impatient) and then a hard-bristled toothbrush. It seems to have worked pretty well but there are still some small dirt clumps in the fine/tight details.

Attached are some pictures of my first 1800s coin (found my second yesterday - a 1848-O Half Dime - pics in another post!!! I guess it is all about location location location!) Forgive the quality - used my phone to snap these pics... I need to figure out Macro on my camera.

Attachments

• 2011-11-13_16-49-29_254.jpg
    2011-11-13_16-49-29_254.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 2011-11-13_16-49-55_623.jpg
    2011-11-13_16-49-55_623.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 184
Back
Top Bottom