Tumbler Rock's

Surf Master

Forum Supporter
I wonder were you all get your tumbler rocks for your tumbler's to clean your coin's,i got mine from a metal detector shop,but i am sure that other store's carry them,including tropical fish store's,i need some more,and what are the different kind's you use,for the best result's,Earl

See if you can find some polish grade ceramic media, it is not abrasive but will clean very well. You will never wear it out, if you keep passing it down even your great great great great grand children will not wear it out. You may be able to find it at a gun shop that sells reloading supplies. I still would not use a tumbler on collectable coins.

Aqaurium gravel...small size, white.

Attachments

• gravel.jpg
    gravel.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 533
Digger

Thank's i guess i will try the Aqaurium gravel,small white,the ceramic stuff sound's nice but finding it,no clue,again thanks forr the replies,Earl

i don't know of which nuts, but nutshels seems to do this job very well too. without damaging the finds because the metal is much harder then the shells.

thumbling also gets better if you put some dishwashingsoap in it.

I just ordered a tumbler today. Does the gravel come in different shapes/sizes? I assume the smaller pieces are the best for coins?

Wal-Mart 5 pound bag lasts forever. Works great in my HF 5lb tumbler.

Attachments

• IMG_2042.JPG
    IMG_2042.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 414
replies

Thank's for all the replies,i picked up 2 bag's at the local pet store,3.00 a bag,i am good to go now, with 2 dual barrell chicago's, and a single barrell lortone tumbler,no more super long all night tumbling over here,Earl

Walnut media found from ammo reloading suppliers works really well. It will clean up dirty metal pretty quick. I would check it in about an hour to see if is getting to where you want it to be. It can wear down fine edges; however it will not scratch.

Thank's for all the replies,i picked up 2 bag's at the local pet store,3.00 a bag,i am good to go now, with 2 dual barrell chicago's, and a single barrell lortone tumbler,no more super long all night tumbling over here,Earl

Keep us updated. Do you have a camera, maybe you can do some sort of tutorial for us :) I am interested! :yes:

Outwardjourney reply request

Thanks everyone this thread was good,Outwardjourney here is your pick as requested,2 dual barrel Chicago tumblers,1 single barrell lortone,2- 5lb bags of Estes spectraStone made by Clifford W Estes co.Inc. 3.98 a bag Happy hunting,Earl:D

Attachments

• 20111102_1.JPG
    20111102_1.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 331
I like the dual tumblers! I just wish I had that much to tumble! Do you split up your tumblers for specific projects? Nice! :shock:

Split up ?

Outwardjourney, i wait till i have plenty to tumble,usually spring, summer, and fall i have plenty,bay,ocean,and land hunt's,the clad build's up,but when i do break out the tumblers now i can tumble silver,clad,copper pennies,all seperate,with 5 barrells turning 6 to 8 hrs done,with only one 3 lb barrell turning,it could take up to 24 hrs for 4 load's,the dual barrells i got from harbor frieght 49.95 on sale that ended on the 31st of oct.,i hope that you got your's,just for a example i went out for a bay hunt on Halloween,3.27 in clad,no gold or silver,but it will build up,i have about 4 bucks from a land hunt last week on the dinning room table,here is the bay hunt pick,take care,happy hunting ,Earl

Attachments

• 20111101_1.JPG
    20111101_1.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 347
Back
Top Bottom