Fisher 1270

junkdrunk

Forum Supporter
Hey guys,

I had an opportunity i didn't think i should pass up... i bought a near mint condition Los Banos Fisher 1270 w/ 8" coil. the guy told me it had less than 20 hrs on it and except for the coil cover it looks brand new! Ive heard some positive things about it and wanted to get yalls opinions. also any idea on what its worth?

HH

-J

Hey guys,

I had an opportunity i didn't think i should pass up... i bought a near mint condition Los Banos Fisher 1270 w/ 8" coil. the guy told me it had less than 20 hrs on it and except for the coil cover it looks brand new! Ive heard some positive things about it and wanted to get yalls opinions. also any idea on what its worth?

HH

-J

Great detector, they're well known for their relic hunting capabilities. I'd say used in mint shape maybe worth $400 or so? Give or take a few dollars.

I had one. I couldn't imagine, in a million years, coin shooting with it. Doesn't seem made for it at all.

Now...nothing BUT relic hunting? It's a good machine.

Its a great lil detector "IF" you take the time to read the manual http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/manuals/1270manual-8704776-reader.pdf and learn how to properly bob and adjust the sens/disc. Another thing I like about them is they are built very rugged. I've seen these dropped down a hill and left rattling in the trunks of cars for years, then power right up and work like a charm. It doesn't have the fancy visual indicator screen, but hey, when Fisher got it right, they left it well enough alone.

Also...
  • upgrading to the 10" coil will give you an extra 2-3" depth in stable soils.
  • this unit is perfect for freshwater beach sand and low to medium mineralized soils.
  • The dual frequency models (CZ-7, 70, 20, 21) are what you'll need if you get to the ocean.

Like others have said, not a great coin hunting detector. It was intended more for relic hunting, and tend to run hot, so might not do well in urban area's with a lot of interference. Also as DND stated, get the 10.5 spider coil for it, much better depth and coverage. I used the 10.5 in place of the 8in on all my Fishers. If you civil war relic hunt, hunt cellar holes, fields, etc. it will do very well. It was based off the legendary 1266 models which were the relic kings in the 90's and in turn were based off the 1265 models which were the relic kings of the 80's. :D But yeah as far as reselling it I'd say $350-$425 depending on the market, and how fast you want to sell it, as well as condition (does it have the original box, etc.).

Thanks for all the input guys! I appreciate it. It's definitely a clean machine didn't come with the box but did have the original manual. Unfortunately, I don't get to relic hunt as much as I'd like to. I have permission to hunt some old Homesites and fields but those sites are about six hours away from me. Lately, I've only had limited time in yards and parks, and water. Of course it's not nearly enough time.... I wish I could figure out a way to earn a living from metal detecting! !!!

hh

-j

.... I wish I could figure out a way to earn a living from metal detecting! !!! hh -j

J, we all wish that that, kinda like playing the lottery. But hey, it seems every week someone does in fact win. :yes:

Anyhow, you might want to keep your eyes peeled for a Fisher hard case. Its like a suit case made for your metal detector. I see them from time to time on the forums and ebay....

Back
Top Bottom