Independent review of the NEW Garrett Pro-Pointer AT

dug-tv

I posted this under another thread, but I thought it may be noticed more if I gave it it's own thread.

I was one of the guys allowed to try out the new PPAT. I have made a video review. Since everyone seems to be asking falsing, I tested it out. Check out the video to see my findings.

Respectfully,
Jason Ebeyer

How much depth do you get , my old garrett PP was about 1 1/2". I was hoping they would match the Mako 3-4 .

depth

How much depth do you get , my old garrett PP was about 1 1/2". I was hoping they would match the Mako 3-4 .

Not really sure of the question. I didn't really test how far it detected through soil. I didn't have the chance to do that. But you would have to take into account the mineralization of the soil if you did, correct?

Jason

Where did the videos go?

I posted a youtube link here to my video review, but it seems to have disappeared. Why would my video link be gone?

I posted a youtube link here to my video review, but it seems to have disappeared. Why would my video link be gone?

They are not gone. I fixed the links for you. When using the Youtube tokens, only the part after "v=" is pasted inside the tokens.

They are not gone. I fixed the links for you. When using the Youtube tokens, only the part after "v=" is pasted inside the tokens.

Oh... lol.

I may have just broken this one then... I will fix and wait for approval. Thanks for the help!

Jason

I was asking if the detection strength was the same as the old one or stronger. Duo Digger posted a video comparing 5 PP. Air depth test. It was the TRX Measured 3-4 inches . I wish manufactures would do comparison test on MD, PP and headphones, we rely on posters opinions and videos they post. I liked your video very well made , I'd like to see you do one comparing the PP.
HH

I was asking if the detection strength was the same as the old one or stronger. Duo Digger posted a video comparing 5 PP. Air depth test. It was the TRX Measured 3-4 inches . I wish manufactures would do comparison test on MD, PP and headphones, we rely on posters opinions and videos they post. I liked your video very well made , I'd like to see you do one comparing the PP.
HH

I get it now. I did not get to take the PPAT home with me so I no longer have it to run tests on it. But you can see in the video that it was approximately 3-4 inches where it picked up the Minie Ball. Thanks for the compliment. We have more videos on our website. It is my username but add a .com to the end. Thanks for watching.

Jason
DUG-TV

This is my top question also. Two to three inches on a dime with equal audio volume compared to the original ProPointer is my standard.

is the retail price 129 for this new PP? so when this goes out the old one will be cheaper. hoping they resolve the falsing on this one being rugged...

I still have this one on my wish list. When they come into stock I am going to order one.

It may be a bit early to ask this, but...

Does this new PP mean that Garrett is discontinuing the old one? Or is it more like the "big brother" of the original PP the way the AT Pro is the "big brother" of the Ace series? Is it being specifically marketed to water hunters?

The reason I'm asking is that I just bought a regular PP last fall... and this being Wisconsin, I only got to use it a couple of times before putting it away with the rest of my detecting stuff. I plan on keeping it throughout its lifespan, but I was wondering if the difference is so significant I should buy the new one and keep the older one as backup or something. Thanks for any input. :D

We still need to see a set of airtests and/or dirt tests. It is frustrating that it's seemingly always not given.

The round ball detection didn't show me great range, plus how many tectors uses a round ball as a standard. ABOUT nobody, that's who. Someone with a pre test ability...test a friggin penny or dime for comparison to the original ProPointer.

I still fail to hear the same level of audio volume in every video of this thing, and today was the same.

Y'all itchy to just buy this pointer with the trials we've seen so far,,,go for it. I am waiting. Right now, I have more doubting questions than simple demonstrated answers. It just seems foolish for people to automatically spend $127 at this time since the depth is likely the same as the ProPointer, the audio sounds dampened a lot. jm2c

We still need to see a set of airtests and/or dirt tests. It is frustrating that it's seemingly always not given.

The round ball detection didn't show me great range, plus how many tectors uses a round ball as a standard. ABOUT nobody, that's who. Someone with a pre test ability...test a friggin penny or dime for comparison to the original ProPointer.

I still fail to hear the same level of audio volume in every video of this thing, and today was the same.

Y'all itchy to just buy this pointer with the trials we've seen so far,,,go for it. I am waiting. Right now, I have more doubting questions than simple demonstrated answers. It just seems foolish for people to automatically spend $127 at this time since the depth is likely the same as the ProPointer, the audio sounds dampened a lot. jm2c

Agree about the lack of info regarding detection distance, but this updated pinpointer has other feature upgrades that I am okay about parting with my money for. Being waterproof is chief among them. And I don't really feel too short changed with the current Propointer's abilities.

Papa

I did notice they added functions the TRX is using already:shock:

I did notice they added functions the TRX is using already:shock:
I noticed that also, It appears that the steps are less and it gives thought to the thread about reverse engineering we hashed out. That kind of business don't happen here in the US does it?

Pin pointer

Why is everyone so hung up on depth of a pp I thought that is what the metal detector is for then you use your pp to find the target in the hole or plug. If the depth is all your concerned about just use a pp and then you don't have to swing a detector, really don't understand ?

Why is everyone so hung up on depth of a pp I thought that is what the metal detector is for then you use your pp to find the target in the hole or plug. If the depth is all your concerned about just use a pp and then you don't have to swing a detector, really don't understand ?

Let me try to answer that. You say "hole or plug" which could be several inches in depth or width. The new more sensitive pin pointers have a reach of 3 to 4 inches depending on the target size. They also have the proximity alert which increases in frequency the closer you get to the target. You may know about where you expect the target to be but a dirt colored find can hide very well in the dirt. The proximity alert can lead you directly to the target with very little effort. I have on occasion had a target in the soil and went as far as to get it into my hand along with some soil and still had a hard time picking out the item that the pin pointer said was there. The new tools are great so get use to using them with the new features and enjoy your hobby. Still use the pin pointing feature on your base detector which use to be a (new feature) but also relax and use the new pin pointers with their new features. The process of adapting can make your outing a bit more enjoyable.

I noticed that also, It appears that the steps are less and it gives thought to the thread about reverse engineering we hashed out. That kind of business don't happen here in the US does it?

It's the typical leap frogging we see in other business as well. Brand A comes out with something, then Brand B follows suit and adds something else. Brand A comes back with all the features of B plus something extra. Brand B then follows suit and the cycle repeats.

I'm only partial to Garrett due to the fact that I live not far from their location and if I do have an issue with something of theirs, I can simply drive it over there to be repaired rather than pay for shipping. It will also be nice to have another pinpointer in case my current one does need repaired.

Papa

Let me try to answer that.

Another thought on this if I may bowinkles.......

Let's say you're in a nice manicured park and you want to pinpoint as accurate as possible to avoid making a mess. After pinpointing with your machine you can try to further narrow in on your target area and also I've noticed it actually helps with trash targets. Sometimes my F2 will get a pretty nice sounding hit, fairly steady #'s all the way around and reading a 2" depth. But when I stoop down to pinpoint closer BEFORE I dig, I find a nice piece of foil just under the surface of the grass. Beer cans can be a real PITA this way til you figure it out though. Those damn things "trigger my digger" if you will.....:digginahole: :lol: Seems to be more of how you interpret the info. you are given and how you can use both tools together to gain maximum info. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom