Explorer SE Pro Question

stingray

Elite Member
okey I am a Teknetics owner having both Omega and the ETP. For the next hunting season Im pretty sure i will get another machine. im looking for this model insted of another Teknetics, I cant afford its bigger brother so i think i will settle for this next year.
so, for those who have this unit is it worth getting one? or should i just get another Omega or G2.
I know it has a different language than my previous machine that is why i have all the Winter to study its feature b4 getting one. also ample time to save coz i believe this one is below $1K range.
what might be an advantage owning one? my omega goes deep my ETP is simple turn n go very easy to learn and doesnt go far off of the omega in the depth department. but I sold the omega already if im lucky the ETP will soon follow.
here in Iowa where i hunt GB is in the mid 60s. I dont hunt anywhere salt water if there is fresh water i seldom go near.
Is it a good upgrade for me next year?
thanks for your input. Happy Holidays evryone!

Se pro

IMHO this is one of the greatest machines out there. The one BIG difference between this machine and others is that you have to slow your swing down and listen to every signal, but even with the stock coil this machine can pull good stuff out of heavy iron. My theory on this machine is if you get a good sounding signal (never mind the VDI) from two directions dig. This machine VDI's very well on deeper targets too. It is quite a bit heavier than the Omega so take that into consideration. I have owed quite a few machines, but this is one I will never get rid of.

IMHO this is one of the greatest machines out there. The one BIG difference between this machine and others is that you have to slow your swing down and listen to every signal, but even with the stock coil this machine can pull good stuff out of heavy iron. My theory on this machine is if you get a good sounding signal (never mind the VDI) from two directions dig. This machine VDI's very well on deeper targets too. It is quite a bit heavier than the Omega so take that into consideration. I have owed quite a few machines, but this is one I will never get rid of.

Great post. They are good machines but way different than the omega. As was said you will have to hunt much much slower. If you can get a good price on one snag it. Minelab stopped making them a few years back.

thanks for giving your time guys. Im going to devout my time researching this machine. four more months before hunting frenzy goes again. there are still pleanty time for me to save.
I dont mind if this has weight than my omega. i think i can handle that using shoulder strap and swinging slow.
looking forward for owning one next yr.
Ive heard about Andy Sabisch book is this also a good investment knowing the settings? or i could just look info in a minelab forum for reliable operation and its use. thanks again...

is there a way an Explorer will have just 2 tone and not having very overwhelming musical tone? este multi-tone?

is there a way an Explorer will have just 2 tone and not having very overwhelming musical tone? este multi-tone?

sorta, you have the option for one const tone for all targets and then could use and iron mask for disc so accepted targets tone and blocked targets just blank your threshold hum. You can also use a low tone variability so the difference in tone from one number (Fe or Co depending on your tone selection) to another is less pronounced.

man this machine is like a tank...my arm sore like hell swinging this.
i got one couple of days b4 xmas. this morning i tested went hunting for couple of hrs.
found 1916s wheat about 5-6" where i hunted with my previous detectors how did i miss this coin, I dont know it aint that deep. omega could have easily sniffed it but it was missed.
i just hunted in factory settings with increased sense (22-28) semi-auto.
the tone is just so overwhelming for me and hard to pinpoint not like my ETP or Omega.
but I do believe it goes deep'r. i hit about my arm deep at high tone dont know what it was. i didnt care digging more coz i got scared I might dig all the way to China coz it jst did not stop beeping and was at the center of the coil. so im pretty sure that was one good target I missed.
this must be the nearest to etrac I can have. I think i need that X1 probe coz I dont think i can pinpoint better with this one.

i have one too

this is my second explorer pro (first dies in a car accident) and i love it it does take time to get used to it.
LEARN THE TONES, i have done this and it helps me accurately judge what im digging, and i have have 1,2,3 or more targets in a hole. I think you know to dig the silence when you go relic hunting. that has payed off many times over. it takes time but with the VDI and the sounds i can dig in the dark and know what im pulling out before i turn on the light.
i have noticed that i can pinpoint very accurately with it too i can tell how large an object is and what it is laying with by the pinpoint.

You can't go slow enough with this i once spent 2 hours in a 10 by 10 area and i think i cleaned from surface to 14 inches with it . 46 coins in a 10 by 10 that is good.

one last thing look up the codes (00-29 or 1-29 is a quarter, like that) the vary slightly on the weather conditions but i have found that it is beneficial to know that in idea 1-29 is a quarter but in ultra dry conditions it can go as low as 00-27 or as high as 3-31. if you use that as a base all other signals will adjust with it (like a slide scale)

Here in Iowa, we are getting the January weather feel. snow didn't come by early but starting today frigid temp will befall us here so going out to do more testing is getting impossible now. after further research I invested having the sunray X1 probe and it's underway here, too bad I cant put it to action at this point.
what ive notice about my unit is, it will suddenly shutoff even batteries are fresh. I dont know if the battery house has loose contact or the circuit board had problem. do you guys have this kind of glitch?
it becomes annoiying for me during hunting that i need to go over Noise Cancel over and over everytime the detector shuts off.

I would definitely send it in for a checkup before your next season,unless it's a loose battery wire.maybe put new aa batteries in the extra holder and run it,it might be your rechargeable battery?

i dont think mine has warranty left. would Minelab serviced out of warranty product?
battery housing terminal shows corrosion too. it maybe the contact. it came with new extra housing, so I have one spare. unfortunately it did not have rechargeable battery pack but there is a wall charger included. aint that ironic?
by the way my X1 probe arrived today and it adds more weight to the machine. I really need to swing it with harness on.

okey so we have a couple of days of warm weather now where top soil is thawed about an inch to two.
so i went out hunting using my explorer instead of the 11" i used the 6" excelerator coz no point using Pro coil since the ground more than two inches is still frozen but i can dig to about 5-6" and that is a fight! i am sore coz of the digging...
at sensitivity 17 the explorer has no problem detecting coin 6-inch plus. im so impressed found a couple clads no silver yet and the good thing i like today is that i didnt have to dig trash or pulltabs using the factory preset no heavy tweeking only the sense, threshold and recovery to Deep.
I think i can do better with this machine as the weather will warm up soon. more time to it will give me more knowledge. im reading Andy's book and liking it so far...
anyone sees a good deal on the explorer series dont hesitate to pull the trigger just make sure it is in good working condition.

I had the se pro and recently a Etrac. If I had to choose again it would be the se pro.it just felt better,I think the id was not better but more uniform to what was supposed to be there.but I know the tones were better on the Se pro.I'm glad it's treating you well.

Never used the SE, owned 2 older XS models before buying an E-trac, I have to admit I love the E-trac, and it's additional features. The perks of buying a new E-trac other than the additional features it offers are it's resale will be higher, and you will have a full warranty. If you can afford the extra money it's a much better investment IMO. If you're looking around the $1k mark you can get a NIB E-trac for not much more.

Back
Top Bottom