Peroxide baths

wayne1956

I have read many of the posts talking about using peroxide baths, and was thinking about trying it on a couple of wheats to practise when I just thought of something. Several posts have stated that sometimes you might have to do 2 or 3 baths. If so, do you reheat the same peroxide, or use new? None of the posts said anything one way or the other.

wheats don't hold up well in the peroxide in my little experience.

peroxide baths really dry out the coins.

I killed a Civil War token I thought was a Indian head, it took the patina, and the details right off the coin...

I re-heat the same peroxide. Be very careful. I ruined an IH with this method, but I have also saved 10-12 with this method. If you are not careful, the coin could be ruined. The one IH I ruined, I was unable to get a date. The peroxide helped me determine that it was either an 1885 or an 1865. I was greedy and put it in for 1 more minute, and the date was unreadable. If done right, It has great results.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=83915

After u clean em, rub a lil olive dab of olive oil on them to nring out the details and also they won't look dry

I've probably cleaned well over 1,000 coins, maybe thousands, don't heat it, and change it if a second soak is needed. Usually it's just coins that have a lot of detail in the patina that you can hurt, but letting them dry with no contact with water will help. Just like any other method with experience you can often know the expected result based on the condition. I have a good lemon cleaning before and after shot but unfortunately no hp ones.

Back
Top Bottom