Hobo nickel

XXJIMBOXX

Not a metal detector find, but a good friend of mine who knows I love collecting coins gave me a call and said he found a coin I should check out. I met up with him and he handed over a very cool hobo nickel made out of an old buffalo . I was amazed I had never seen one in person. I immediately identified it for him, he said he received it in change at a small town store around these parts in New Mexico, I couldn't believe it :shock: Then to my amazement he said " I want you to have it!" :wow: I was ecstatic :shock: Heres a pic. I would love to hear any comments and info you guys and gals know on this type of "folk art"....

Attachments

• photo 1 (4).jpg
    photo 1 (4).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,885
  • photo 2 (3).jpg
    photo 2 (3).jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,871
Side by side with one of my other buffalos....:?:

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,885
The problem is that there a people creating new ones right now. It would probably take a true expert in them to determine if it was original or a new version.

I hope your's is an original, hobo nickels are very cool pieces of artwork!

Wow what a link thanks Rob, JB is an awesome artist for sure.. I didn't realize these were out there to such an extent. I sent a picture of this nickel to a member of the Hobo nickel society and he believes its authentic and vintange, but not in so many words. It has a heavy patina in the cuts and said it was worth 75 to 100$ but didn't make an offer for it... Then one of his buddies sent me an email wanting to buy it. I sent him an email back stating that I was growing real fond of it ( I have a feeling he didn't want to hear that ), and asked what he would offer but am still waiting for a reply. That leads me to believe its original but who knows? I know I really enjoy looking at it... Any who I don't think I will be parting with it any time soon. I fits real nice in my coin collection :D I cant believe that the old school ones were carved with nails and knifes :?: If only this nickel could talk ....I wonder what stories it would tell they could be fascinating :shock:

Hi all update... I received the offer via email for the Hobo nickel a whopping 175$ so that tells me two things in my head, its worth 300+ $$ and its Real!!! WOOWHOO :grin::?: Im totally stoked hes a keeper for sure ...I wonder if my friend that gave it to me knew what its worth if he would ask for it back? :no:

Ok, another update..(ever get the feeling your talking to yourself??). I talked to my buddy today and told him what its worth more or less, and he said "cool" a little nervously, then we started talking about metal detecting (abrupt subject change) :roll: and he mentioned an interest in it, which he really hasnt before, I work at the same company as him but we never hung out or anything. I told him guess what ive got a gift for you My bounty hunter fortune hunter, a pinpointer, hand trowl and treasure pouch and a silver coin ring made from a 41' Walking Liberty that I made. I figure a decent trade he sounded happy , if he asks for the coin back I would give it, as a matter of honor but if he asks for cash I wouldn't give it times are a little tight and I work real hard for the meager cash I have....

Nice piece/score. I am familiar with hobo art but was not aware that it included nickels, on top of that the value of these things is incredible, even modern works are bringing big dollars. You do learn something everyday. Thank you for sharing.

everyone is entitled to their opinion...here's mine..I don't like it..taking a proud Native American and turning him into a hobo..what an insult..

Lots of history behind those original hobo nickels!
Folks would actually carve them and trade them for meals, or room for a night.
All done by hand, usually with a nail:shock:

everyone is entitled to their opinion...here's mine..I don't like it..taking a proud Native American and turning him into a hobo..what an insult..

I can see your point and Ive never looked at it from that angle, but Ive been there, lived it . Thanks for your point of view... HH

The problem is that there a people creating new ones right now. It would probably take a true expert in them to determine if it was original or a new version.

I hope your's is an original, hobo nickels are very cool pieces of artwork!

Some of the newly created ones are amazing. I know there's a few members here who make them. mlyness does good work.

Do you also think team names such as the Redskins and Braves , are offensive?

Do you also think team names such as the Redskins and Braves , are offensive?
...as I said..everyone is entitled to their own opinion..the issue is not about the label "Braves" or "Redskins"...It's about the coin..what I think is most offensive is that you seem to have a problem with my right to express my opinion..I didn't make any judgement of anyone's thoughts or their constitutional and God given right to their opinion....sounds like your real problem is with an individuals right to free expression....If you desire to force people to think what you want them to think then perhaps you should run for public office..

...as I said..everyone is entitled to their own opinion..the issue is not about the label "Braves" or "Redskins"...It's about the coin..what I think is most offensive is that you seem to have a problem with my right to express my opinion..I didn't make any judgement of anyone's thoughts or their constitutional and God given right to their opinion....sounds like your real problem is with an individuals right to free expression....If you desire to force people to think what you want them to think then perhaps you should run for public office..

I agree with you. I don't have a problem with the original Hobo nickels but as a coin collector I don't like to see people nowadays intentionally defacing old, already scarce historical coins. Just my opinion but I'm sure there will be someone who has a problem with it.

I have absolutely no problem with you expressing your opinions and in fact, I encourage it. I made no judgment whatsoever just asked you a question. How in the name of god did you deduct all that from a question???? Wow I didnt' realize asking a question meant that I'm somehow forcing you to think what I want. Man, you really blew my mind with that reply.

I have absolutely no problem with you expressing your opinions and in fact, I encourage it. I made no judgment whatsoever just asked you a question. How in the name of god did you deduct all that from a question???? Wow I didnt' realize asking a question meant that I'm somehow forcing you to think what I want. Man, you really blew my mind with that reply.
just for the record of anyone following this thread.. Swinglow and I have exchanged apologies..the written word is a difficult form of communication..it lacks all the normal exchanges we utilize in expressing ourselves..no eye contact..no facial or body gestures..no voice inflection..the true intent is often then misunderstood..

Back
Top Bottom