Who's swinging the oldest machine?

Damianicus

Elite Member
With the focus of discussion often the latest and greatest I'm curious to see pics and description of the oldest machine still successfully being used by our members. Please no negative i.e. "omg you're missing out" comments.

Occasionally I use my 1993 freedom Ace Plus. My brother and his young son seem to have adopted it lately.

The machine I probably use the most is my Sovereign XS2, released in 1998. :D Just as deep or deeper than my other machines...

My CZ6a is about 15 years old as well.

Sweet! I found a few pics on google:

Compas Judge 2
Compass_Judge_2.png

Freedom Ace Plus
freedomaceplus.jpg

Garrett Master Hunter
garrett_master_hunter.jpg

:lol:
Ergonomics was not a word or idea in common use when that Compass came out.
Take a small anvil and mount it on a metal pole to get an idea, and try to swing it for a long time and feel the burn.
Still, this 100 kHz TR machine is very cool in iron infested sites...it not only can see around iron it can actually null out and see through iron while still hitting on high conductive targets under many or large iron targets.
I keep it around just in case I happen to come across problem sites like that...plus I guess you can consider it an antique.

It doesn't work perfectly, needs a tune-up so maybe if Keith Willis is still around one day I will get it into tip top shape, but it does work.
Also got a 71b in the same deal that doesn't work at all but I can probably use for parts if needed.
Paid $20 for both...one of the best deals I ever did since I have been in this hobby.

Attachments

• P1020948.jpg
    P1020948.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,302
Hey digger27, I believe the first generation "Judge" was simply a 77b, with the addition of a TR disc. added. So that would have been a TR/TR machine (versus a VLF/TR machine). The first "TR" indicated the all-metal mode (which was like the 77b), and the 2nd TR is what became familiar on a whole host of mid-to-late 1970s machines.

Their days were numbered though, since starting in about 1978, vlf-disc (aka motion disc, or geb disc) took the world by storm!

I have a 77b I take out for certain iron/nail riddled locations. Circa 1971 to 74-ish. Like ghost-townsy sites. They could see through up to about 4 nails at a time, while still seeing the conductive target underneath. Thus good for spots that give modern power-house discriminators fits with masking.

However, the benefits ended there. In all other ways they were a dinasour. No other form of disc, a bear to keep balanced, poor depth (compared to later VLF's), poor in minerals, etc.... Max depth on a coin was perhaps 4". Maybe 5 or 6" if you had exceptional soil and balancing.

Since I didn't get this "Addiction" until about 2007, I am loving this thread! Keep them coming guys!

Hey digger27, I believe the first generation "Judge" was simply a 77b, with the addition of a TR disc. added. So that would have been a TR/TR machine (versus a VLF/TR machine). The first "TR" indicated the all-metal mode (which was like the 77b), and the 2nd TR is what became familiar on a whole host of mid-to-late 1970s machines.

Their days were numbered though, since starting in about 1978, vlf-disc (aka motion disc, or geb disc) took the world by storm!

I have a 77b I take out for certain iron/nail riddled locations. Circa 1971 to 74-ish. Like ghost-townsy sites. They could see through up to about 4 nails at a time, while still seeing the conductive target underneath. Thus good for spots that give modern power-house discriminators fits with masking.

However, the benefits ended there. In all other ways they were a dinasour. No other form of disc, a bear to keep balanced, poor depth (compared to later VLF's), poor in minerals, etc.... Max depth on a coin was perhaps 4". Maybe 5 or 6" if you had exceptional soil and balancing.

That's what I have gathered hanging out on the Compass forum, the 77b and the Judge 2 were similar.
There are a few different Judges too, some with auto tune or other tweaks, mine has no button on the handle...black or red.

I wanted one of these for that see through iron super power specifically.
I rarely hunt that type of site where it is needed, but in case I ever do...

Another member mentioned these things are very good on gold and nickels, too.

Yes more pics :D I'm a son of two antique dealers. I always loved old but functional machines. Sometimes simpler is better. Found this pic, hopefully no one is using this thing still haha.

Metal_detector_from_World_War_1.jpg

VLF Wildcat from the 1980's -made by the founders of the later
Tesoro Detectors .

Attachments

• wildcat 001.jpg
    wildcat 001.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,118
  • wildcat 002.jpg
    wildcat 002.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,119
  • wildcat instructions manual 006.jpg
    wildcat instructions manual 006.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,229
  • morlan 4.jpg
    morlan 4.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 1,255
This thread is like talking to six year olds about Run DMC. Open your closet and you found a relic. Job done for the day.

Yes more pics :D I'm a son of two antique dealers. I always loved old but functional machines. Sometimes simpler is better. Found this pic, hopefully no one is using this thing still haha.

Metal_detector_from_World_War_1.jpg

this one is good for carrying in the backpack :laughing:

I still hunt with my Teknetics 9000, my original Big Bud and my two original Silver Sabres. I have older machines but they are just part of my collection and rarely get used such as my Fisher M-Scope.
Fisher1.gif
Although it still works I could have got more depth with my old Jetco.

Back
Top Bottom