Headphones question.

DirtyNeckJesse

Elite Member
I have a set of fairly good headphones used for my music listening and YouTube watching. I KNOW they work great. The male end is too small for my F2 so I went to Radio Shack and got an adapter for them to fit. Problem: I can't hear squat! Is there a trick to this I don't know about? Do I need "stereo" or "non-stereo" or something? I know I gotta be missing out on stuff by having to rely on my old ears!:laughing:

First you have to know how many poles does your headphone jack, F2 connector and the adapter have. Two black rings you can see on metal part of the jack means it's 3 pole jack, 3 rings for 4 pole etc.
For example a jack with 3 poles won't work with 4 pole connector...

Capish?

I've also asked about headphone swapping and two things I learned from responses were....

If you have headphones that have volume control, it allows you to overcome the issue you're experiencing.

It may have something to do with impedance rating.

I did a quick search. This is one answer that may explain the issue....

"The power required to operate headphones is a function of the driver size and mass, whether the phones are open, closed, or in-ear, etc. The impedance of headphones is usually designed to get an acceptable volume level (power = voltage^2 / impedance) at the voltage level expected on the driving equipment. It's not necessarily a straightforward relationship of low impedance = cheap, high-impedance = pro.

Many really fine headphones have large drivers (more power), are open-air (more power), AND expect to be run from higher-voltage professional/amplified equipment... which sort of cancels out the impedance question from a design perspective. Apple earbuds are 23 ohms... my fave studio headphones, Audio-Technica ATH-M50s, are 38 ohms... one of the most common studio headphones, Sony MDR7506, are 63 ohms. So, more "pro" headphones are higher impedance, but that just means that you will get less power (lower volume) on a low-voltage audio source.

There are other good reasons to use an external amplifier... RF/EMI noise isolation, etc... but I think the main reason you might want to with better headphones is that the volume may be low with higher-impedance headphones."

If you got a mono adapter I don't think it will make contact, not 100% sure on that. There is also a newer style that supports a control line from earbud pods like for Apple products that causes compatibility problems.
I would take the whole rig into Radio Shack and ask them for the right one.

My headphones are SONY "Dynamic Stereo"...There are two green rings around the male end, just above the tip. The adapter I bought is chrome looking and has ONE black ring about the same place. Should I get one with two rings then??

cant figure out how many poles does female connector on F2 need. Judging by google images headphones in F2 kits are all 3 poles.
Yes, on the adapter you need 3 poles (2 rings) for male and female connector.

I got a couple of those adaptors from radio shack which NEED to have the two black lines and they work on all my detectors including my wifes F2,, headphones are the pretty much cheap sony walk man headphones I have a few pairs and they all work,,,,,,, as for volume I only use one headphone over one ear and then jusut move the headphone off my ear enough until its at the right volume,, or use a folded cloth.

Back
Top Bottom