Harbor Freight Pinpointer back order

dodgeluvn

Was going to order a pinpointer but there on back order , I didnt bother to try and call there since its Sunday .Does anyone know how long it takes to usually get a back order.Im not sure if I should just order it and pay for it, or wait for them to get more pinpointers in. Ive got the 20% coupon so it will be 20.68 shipped to me.

Are you talking about the CenTech from HF?? If so, they are putting it to you at $20 with a coupon. Mine was 15*99 plus tax without a coupon. The problem I have run into is that the button for turning it on only works when it wants to! I may pop the cover and just wire the two wires together so that it is on all the time. The battery use would be better than the guessing game I have now.

$20 does sound kind of high, with the coupon. It's still a pretty good value though, much better than using your hand, blindly. Even if you wear gloves, some sharp things can still get through. Seems pretty rare for people to even get a scratch, but have seen too many near misses in the hole, I'm very cautious. Any pinpointer will spare you a lot of grief. Really would jump on the Garrett, if you have better use of your money. It is a neat gadget, few hassles, but it really depends on your wants and needs. Mine needs to get sent back for repair or replace, get random beeps soon as it's turned on, no metal near. Been back to the Centech for a few weeks, really not missing the Garrett. Now, I will admit, I do electronics, as another hobby, and the changes, modifications weren't a big deal for me, parts on hand as well. I swapped out the switch, didn't like holding the button down, now it stays on while I'm using it. Didn't like the beep, don't like to draw attention, and spend more time talking, than hunting. So, I replaced the beeper, with a pager motor, it vibrates silently. The case is sort of cheap, but I really like the circuit board, all through hole parts, nothing surface mount, plenty of room to work, if I need to repair it. Really shouldn't be hard for anyone to customize more to their liking. It does the job you expect it to do, but it's not a probe, to be shoved down in the ground. It's not a digging tool either. It's just to pass over the dirt, and let you know where the metal is, about 2". It's not going to bust your hobby budget, or force you to choose between a smaller coil, or a pinpointer.

The Garrett is great, but more than most really need, definitely more than most need to spend...

Gonna be some busy little China men for the next couple of months!

LOL

I got the chance to see a VibraProbe Saturday. I like em too. About the same price as a Garrett and I am more than a little leary of Garrett right now. All that "catching up" they have to do could mean a drop in quality as has been mentioned on the forum before. No noise and plenty of length to get down in the plug hole without me having to get down on these old knees!

I've found that with my Garrett, sometime I stick it in the hole and it goes nuts all the way around and have a hard time deciphering exactly where to dig more.

I've found that with my Garrett, sometime I stick it in the hole and it goes nuts all the way around and have a hard time deciphering exactly where to dig more.

That's why you can detune the GPP. Stick it in the hole, then turn it on. It shouldn't go so crazy unless it's a large target right at the bottom of the hole.

That's why you can detune the GPP. Stick it in the hole, then turn it on. It shouldn't go so crazy unless it's a large target right at the bottom of the hole.

Thanks. I will give it a try. Any ideas as to how to keep the sound holes from being plugged up with dirt?

Thanks. I will give it a try. Any ideas as to how to keep the sound holes from being plugged up with dirt?

Clean it off real good and put a small piece of tape over the sound holes. I do that about once a month. Little effort but it does keep dirt out. The better the tape the longer it lasts.

Clean it off real good and put a small piece of tape over the sound holes. I do that about once a month. Little effort but it does keep dirt out. The better the tape the longer it lasts.

Yup, that's what I do. I wrap some electrical tape around the top which covers the speaker hole. Quiets it down and keeps the dirt out.

Probably sure wouldn't do it any good. The unit is designed to be water resistant, but keeping dirt and water out of the speaker hole seems like it wouldn't hurt.

Are you talking about the CenTech from HF?? If so, they are putting it to you at $20 with a coupon. Mine was 15*99 plus tax without a coupon. The problem I have run into is that the button for turning it on only works when it wants to! I may pop the cover and just wire the two wires together so that it is on all the time. The battery use would be better than the guessing game I have now.

Well that is with shipping, I onlt live 38 miles from store but it would cost me more in gas to go pick it up. I read all the posts about its faults, just thought id give it a try .

I think I might have to get one of these cheapies.
I always wanted a pin pointer but the price of them are crazy ;)
Can't wait to they are back in stock.

pinpointer

I picked one up at Harbor Freight in Albany NY for $17 about a month ago.I got it just to try it,and it worked alright.It's got sensitivity knob.Usually use the Whites pinpointer which is real handy.

Back
Top Bottom