UPDATED! Story #3 - My Eye Popping, Mind Blowing Day of Firsts

borispriva

Elite Member
I was looking at that little picnicking area in the park that was established in the beginning of the last century for almost two months.
It was always full of people on the weekends, so I decided to try it on the early Thursday morning.
Spent almost four hours over there, completely alone - no one ever bother me.
Honestly - I didn't expect much from this site.
Boy - I was wrong.
I'm relatively new to the hobby, so I had a lot of very exciting "firsts" that day.
It was a lot of clad and matchbox cars from the very beginning - I finished my day with almost 21 dollars in coins and six new "cars" in my "garage". :grin:
Than I pulled out couple of wheats - ended my day with 16 of them, the oldest one is 1916.
Then out of the hole came up this small silver ring, my second one - I knew immediately that it is old - like 100 years old: judging by design and the way it was build. It was not marked and even turquoise looks very old.
Then I pulled out couple of old nails, half of the ox shoe, some pieces of ceramic, more clad, more wheats and - bo-o-om, baby! :grin: - 1895 Indian Head, also my second one.
Then it was like someone from up above just open the box - I found my first Liberty Walking Half Dollar - 1918 in pretty good shape.
I do believe that this is the one of the most beautiful US coins and I was always dreaming of digging it up one day.
Next one was 1923 Mercury (second one). Then - Standing Liberty Quarter -1919 (my first), then - Barber Dime 1913 (first) in a very good shape - you still can read Liberty on laurel wreath.
And finally - the coin I was really looking for to get in my hands one day - Buffalo Nickel. Another first one.
Unfortunately it was in pretty rough shape - no date and completely crusted and red, but it was Buffalo!
Should I tell you that every find was accompanied by improvised joy dance?
You knew it already, right?
Thanks God - I was alone over there, so - nobody get a heart attack.
All coins were at six inches deep, in the same area - approximately 40"x15", closer to the woods, strangely mixed with the small shells - I need Turtlefoot help to ID them.
And I'm wondering - what is that "H" stays for?
I also found my first US great seal button - small cuff button with a lot of corrosion.
On the back it says - City Button Works - NY.
Which tell us that it is the WWI button and it was manufactured before 1923, when the company moved into NJ.
I also found another ring - modern, strange and expensive - but it is a totally different story.
Well - what I can say to summarize?
It was my best day in the field so far and I'm hopping - not the last one. ;)

Attachments

• DSCF3116-1.JPG
    DSCF3116-1.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 3,604
  • DSCF3117-1.JPG
    DSCF3117-1.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 3,584
  • DSCF3128-1.JPG
    DSCF3128-1.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 3,637
  • DSCF3126-1.JPG
    DSCF3126-1.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 3,637
  • DSCF3129-1.JPG
    DSCF3129-1.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 3,593
  • DSCF3123-1.JPG
    DSCF3123-1.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 3,602
  • DSCF3137-1.JPG
    DSCF3137-1.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 3,573
  • DSCF3150-1.JPG
    DSCF3150-1.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 3,590
  • DSCF3152-1.JPG
    DSCF3152-1.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 3,558
Last edited:
Sounds like you had a great day! The cartridges are .22 rimfires. They are probably Hornady brand rounds, thus the "H" stamp. Congrats on a sweet hunt!

wow, 6 hours of digging.... you're legs are going to feel THAT! :shock:

but some really great finds!! congrats on all of the silver and your other finds as well! :thumbsup: those coins are in great shape!

Pete

Sounds like you had a great day! The cartridges are .22 rimfires. They are probably Hornady brand rounds, thus the "H" stamp.

Thanks for the tip, Oldsjunkie.
Google did the rest. :roll:
Here we go -
.22 Short is a variety of .22 caliber (5.6 mm) rimfire ammunition.
Developed in 1857 for the first Smith and Wesson revolver, the .22 rimfire was the first American metallic cartridge.
Many rifles in .22 Short were made between 1901–1940, mostly intended for gallery shooting and small game hunting.
Remington and Winchester produced the most rifles in .22 Short.

And "H" stands for Winchester Repeating Arms Company.

Sort of update - couple of days ago I visited this site again, it was another amazing day with several firsts.

I dug up another Barber dime - 1912, three more Mercury dimes - all from nineteen twenties and my first 47 Rosie.
I also got three more Buffalos, two with readable dates - 1920 and 1923.
And two V-nickels - 1908 and 1911.
Plus I got beautiful gold-plated BRRT pin (date unknown yet) and my very first BSA neckerchief slider - from forties or fifties.
Found my second button on this site - this time it is the police cuff brass button with "P" and Laurel Wreath from Waterbury Co. in Connecticut.
And - last, but not least - I got my first 1909 (first year of production) Wheatie in the pretty good shape.

Attachments

• DSCF3179-1.JPG
    DSCF3179-1.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 3,050
  • DSCF3184-1.JPG
    DSCF3184-1.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 3,024
  • DSCF3187-1.JPG
    DSCF3187-1.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 3,041
  • DSCF3182-1.JPG
    DSCF3182-1.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 3,020
  • DSCF3223-1.JPG
    DSCF3223-1.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 3,037
  • DSCF3206-1.JPG
    DSCF3206-1.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 3,003
  • DSCF3253-1.JPG
    DSCF3253-1.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 2,981
Brotherhood of RailRoad Trainmen pin.

I know - we figured it out already in "Help to ID My Finds".
But thanks for the confirmation - judging by your nickname I do believe you know what you are talking about. :)

Do you - by any chance - know - what time period it is?
Came from the area with a lot of 1910-1920 stuff.

I was looking at that little picnicking area in the park that was established in the beginning of the last century for almost two months.
It was always full of people on the weekends, so I decided to try it on the early Thursday morning.
Spent almost four hours over there, completely alone - no one ever bother me.
Honestly - I didn't expect much from this site.
Boy - I was wrong.
I'm relatively new to the hobby, so I had a lot of very exciting "firsts" that day.
It was a lot of clad and matchbox cars from the very beginning - I finished my day with almost 21 dollars in coins and six new "cars" in my "garage". :grin:
Than I pulled out couple of wheats - ended my day with 16 of them, the oldest one is 1916.
Then out of the hole came up this small silver ring, my second one - I knew immediately that it is old - like 100 years old: judging by design and the way it was build. It was not marked and even turquoise looks very old.
Then I pulled out couple of old nails, half of the ox shoe, some pieces of ceramic, more clad, more wheats and - bo-o-om, baby! :grin: - 1895 Indian Head, also my second one.
Then it was like someone from up above just open the box - I found my first Liberty Walking Half Dollar - 1918 in pretty good shape.
I do believe that this is the one of the most beautiful US coins and I was always dreaming of digging it up one day.
Next one was 1923 Mercury (second one). Then - Standing Liberty Quarter -1919 (my first), then - Barber Dime 1913 (first) in a very good shape - you still can read Liberty on laurel wreath.
And finally - the coin I was really looking for to get in my hands one day - Buffalo Nickel. Another first one.
Unfortunately it was in pretty rough shape - no date and completely crusted and red, but it was Buffalo!
Should I tell you that every find was accompanied by improvised joy dance?
You knew it already, right?
Thanks God - I was alone over there, so - nobody get a heart attack.
All coins were at six inches deep, in the same area - approximately 40"x15", closer to the woods, strangely mixed with the small shells - I need Turtlefoot help to ID them.
And I'm wondering - what is that "H" stays for?
I also found my first US great seal button - small cuff button with a lot of corrosion.
On the back it says - City Button Works - NY.
Which tell us that it is the WWI button and it was manufactured before 1923, when the company moved into NJ.
I also found another ring - modern, strange and expensive - but it is a totally different story.
Well - what I can say to summarize?
It was my best day in the field so far and I'm hopping - not the last one. ;)

Hey what is that round with the H on it? I found the exact same one at a cellar hole earlier in the week but it's too big to be a .22.

Back
Top Bottom