705 in all metal

Dirtfishn350

Forum Supporter
I've been running the xterra in AM & 99 tones gb tracking. Question is: most of time when I get a good tone, it has an iron tone with it:?: Is this normal, & what is it telling me? Some of the targets are good digs w/ no iron around...
Thanks!

It's sounds like trying to tell you to slow down a little more. It needs time for accurate ID.
(my first thought, and the most likely)

The other possibility is that you're trying to run a bit too hot.
(less likely, as you can often run hotter if you go slow enough)

So try slowing down first, then if that doesn't do it turn the Sensitivity down one click at a time until it runs smoothly.

Must be a little to hot, if I slow down any slower I might as well hang it up. From left to right it takes about 3seconds... Is that to fast?

Three to four seconds is normally about right, but there needs to be a balance between speed and sensitivity to achieve max depth with solid TID. If you feel that you're going slow enough, then back off the sensitivity one increment at a time until the audio distortion goes away.

I hunt a lot of parks and obviously deal with a lot of trash. If I run the sensitivity too high, even at a level just a couple clicks below chatter , the trash signals will blend in with good signals which can seem like possible iron wrap-around to some. I know this doesn't work for everyone and it depends on what and where you are hunting, coil type/size, etc. I am using the 10.5 DD MF (that I bought from you Dirtfishin350). I start off finding my "upper limit" sensitivity level after noise cancelling and ground balancing. I don't start hunting at this level as I have found that in the parks I hunt, a sensitivity level of 16,17 goes pretty deep. (Read what Randy "Digger" Horton says about too much sensitivity)I swing slow and am sure to overlap while doing so. If I get a faint but desirable tone then I will turn up the sensitivity close to the upper limit , isolate the target and scan back over it. Now I can get a really good idea on what I am about to possibly dig. Even at a sensitivity level of 16, 17; which to some is a fairly low level, I have dug dimes at 6". This method I described has netted dimes at 9-10". The overall key though is the tones, not TID:nono: To me the TID is the "end that justifies the means".
You can't make the ground adapt to the MD, so thankfully the MD can adapt to the ground.:yes:

Thanks guys, I'll play around w/ the sens. a bit, & reread the ebook again. I've always just ran it around 20, didn't think that was to high.
Ps. Glad to hear the coil is still swinging. (ZR2guy)

Thanks guys, I'll play around w/ the sens. a bit, & reread the ebook again. I've always just ran it around 20, didn't think that was to high.
Ps. Glad to hear the coil is still swinging. (ZR2guy)

I love this DD coil:yes:. The target/trash separation is amazing, especially at lower sensitivity levels.

How is it backwards?
Too much sensitivity for conditions limiting depth and distorting response, is directly analogous to too much light in the fog limiting how far you can see and the loss of clarity.

How is it backwards?
Too much sensitivity for conditions limiting depth and distorting response, is directly analogous to too much light in the fog limiting how far you can see and the loss of clarity.

But the headlights Emitting/Transmitting too much signal. Sensitivity is receiving end of things.

A direct relation to the analogy would be turning the transmit power to high and the ground mineralization scattering the signal too much.

The result is the same so it's a good analogy I'm just saying it's backwards. It really is like hearing someone talk to you from x distance just fine but putting in a hearing aid and turning it up so you needlessly hear their heart beating, farts, breathing, and stomach growling when you really just want to hear their voice.

Perhaps I'm too analytical, I read his book and I knew what he ment. :D

You are of course technically correct, to the extent that you examine the root of the analogy. He just used it as an example that the masses could relate to conceptually.

I run the digger coil on the 705 most of the time. I've had excellent VID with the sens at 20 or 22. With the 5x10 18.75 khz I can run 27 without trouble.

That Digger 3 khz has a max of 22. Mine has awsome visual ID and great audio. Maybe I'm just used to it. The only time it gets unstable ID is dry conditions but even then when I'm hunting coins I'll get more coin numbers than other bouncing numbers and sounds. Its just not as solid as with even a little moister.
Tin

Hopefully I can get out this weekend & do a little experimenting. I guess I didn't realize that the sens. on this detector was that different (Notch to notch) so to speak. All I ever had was the 350, though a great detector. I don't really think the sens. notches, made a big difference after the 3rd notch. So I figure If I just hung the xterra around the 20 mark, I be good either way. Thanks for your replies!

You could also try running it with different tones. I didnt like the 99 tones and use the 3 tones. Just an idea

I have used 4 tones with success but I am going to try 99 this weekend.

I started out using the 4 tone mode. But after using 99 for a while, I've learn to lesson for those little odd tones. I don't hear every swing. Wish the rain would let up:badrain:

We had some rain here as of late but the next day I went to a swimming pool/park in a neighboring town and dug about $6 in clad. I found two 1962 nickels:roll: , a 1965 quarter and dime but no silver:no: The rest of the clad was early 70s and 80s with a few new coins mixed in. I dug a 1945 nickel from this park 2 years ago. The MD Gods are teasing me, I just know it:yes:
I actually have better luck hunting after some good rain. Hope you do too.:yes:

I agree it's always better digging after a good rain... Were suppose to get an 1.5" :shock: so it ought to be GREAT conductivity... Going to try the 705 on 15 sens. an go out to my dads place. So far I've pulled about 20 wheats a buff and the first time I took the 705 it scored a rosie (on edge @ around 4.5") the ace missed it many times:(... I know there's more silver there! Just got to get the coil over it.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom