small diamonds

garviso8

Elite Member
is there any value to very small diamonds found on gold items .found an earring 18k 6.5 grams with many small diamonds .

The value is in the design to the piece of jewelry to which they're incorporated, not necessarily to the individual little diamonds. Those pavé diamonds just aren't worth much.

A jeweler friend of mine who buys gold, removes all stones and gets a few bucks for them, not much at all...

is there any value to very small diamonds found on gold items .found an earring 18k 6.5 grams with many small diamonds .

Anything under 0.008 carat (about 1.2mm wide) can be purchased wholesale for $2-8 each, depending on the 4c's. They are so cheap, when I take rings to my jeweler for repair or cleaning, he adds missing stones at no charge. ....and two years ago I bought a small baggie, about 35 that were colorless, had no visible flaws under 10x magnification, and a darn near ideal cut for $40.

Since they were "free", I'd use the macro setting on a camera to snap a few photos and include a shot with a diamond tester. Put them on eBay for whatever you feel they are worth or look up your local lapidary society and see when they are having a rock and gem show. You might be able to sell them to a dealer at a show that wants to use them to make jewelry. I buy them too, but at wholesale prices.

Only way to get rid of them is take a bunch and get one of those flat disc pendant things. My friends wife has one. When you move the small diamonds kind of slide around like a wave. Its clear on the front and back.
AWESOME idea !!!!

Attachments

• pendant.JPG
    pendant.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 182
Having one custom made out of gold that you could add to would be great for a spouse.

I think we have a winner!! All my small gemstones, could go into it. All you would need is a decorative top that unscrews and a very small funnel.

My friend actually bought the one he got his wife from a jewelry store. Guessing with all the thousands of diamonds in the stuff they melt people scrap it would be a pain to move individual stones. So they just take the less valuable stones such as the ones in 10k and put a scoop in the thing and seal it up. Actually looks cool when a couple diamonds get stuck at the top. Never looks the same any time you look at it.

Man you always have some great ideas. Can you buy the pendant without the crystals? I have a few colors and diamonds that would look great.

Man you gotta start watching rap videos. They got some with a $ in diamonds in them.

roughly $50-$60 per total carat weight on the resale market.

But you typically must sell them in a batch.

Cheers,

Skippy

roughly $50-$60 per total carat weight on the resale market.

But you typically must sell them in a batch.

Cheers,

Skippy

Shoot, that is less than $0.50 each! I've been paying too much.

Here is another thought, it would take me over an hour to facet one. Even with automation it would probably take 20 minutes. Can't imagine what they are paying these folks to produce them.

Back
Top Bottom