Underwater Idea

Anybody ever use something like this or had the urge to clean out a spot you knew was used eon's ago as an old beach and is now overgrown?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SeaWeed-Bl...231041?hash=item33d551aa01:g:Sv8AAOSwuq9ZZ-Pj

I have my wheels spinning for a couple of my former hot spots this spring.

You have definitely been thinking..
I have actually been cutting brush on my property so I can get to some areas easier.. you are doing the same in a lake .. I LOVE it

not sure about a lake but Giant Kelp supposedly grows about a foot a day.. faster than bamboo.. so your going to have to Hack and go..
also would you even be able to use a Scoop or would you have to dig? (thinking roots)

but I am a firm believer in Work Smarter not harder and there is the right tool for the job and this one definitely seems to have promise.. and the Price is Right

Good Luck !!

Scuba I have a pond on my property, that tool didn't work so good. I use a razor sharp scythe to maintain my pond. I made an extra long handle for one for deeper weeds.
There are plenty of lakes here in Michigan with very little weeds, hahaha!

Scuba I have a pond on my property, that tool didn't work so good. I use a razor sharp scythe to maintain my pond. I made an extra long handle for one for deeper weeds.
There are plenty of lakes here in Michigan with very little weeds, hahaha!

Yes I know. But I like thinking outside the box and in some places in 7 foot of water there is a lot of potential. Once you clean out the weeds you have a couple of weeks before they grow back with a vengeance. I was thinking of putting lead weights on the ends and diving with that critter and pulling it back and forth till I have a nice big area cleaned out. Then getting another tank and my detector to see what I can find without them being in the way.

Dumb question, but do you have a drysuit?

I ask because out training site has the weeds die off in Sept timeframe, and I imagine yours may be similar. May be easier to dive it early or late in the season?

Dumb question, but do you have a drysuit?

I ask because out training site has the weeds die off in Sept timeframe, and I imagine yours may be similar. May be easier to dive it early or late in the season?

Not a dumb question. I had one used it once. Cold water diving is just not for me anymore. I dove under the ice ONCE. I enjoy myself when the water is tolerable.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm itching to get up to the training site, for the simple purpose of taking the detector and trying to find some diving weights!

See, Scuba, I have to win the contest, so that I can find my sweet dive light that I lost up there last year!

I'm itching to get up to the training site, for the simple purpose of taking the detector and trying to find some diving weights!

See, Scuba, I have to win the contest, so that I can find my sweet dive light that I lost up there last year!

There is a lake near Novi Michigan that has two dive platforms anchored near the bottom for classes. Whenever I need dive equipment I just go there and get it. Weights, Compasses, masks. anything I want. Students drop everything in the muck and it disappears. I didn't dive there with a detector last year. I can make a killing on lead weighs in that lake.

That contest won't do you any good. The detector you will win only goes 10' deep. Unless your lake is shallow.

Yes I know. But I like thinking outside the box and in some places in 7 foot of water there is a lot of potential. Once you clean out the weeds you have a couple of weeks before they grow back with a vengeance. I was thinking of putting lead weights on the ends and diving with that critter and pulling it back and forth till I have a nice big area cleaned out. Then getting another tank and my detector to see what I can find without them being in the way.

Scuba I actually bought a tool very similar, it didn't work well and wasn't worth the money. Maybe you'll have better results. It clogged up with weeds right away as I pulled it. Once clogged it would no longer slice the weeds. I spent more time pulling weeds off the blades than I did cutting. I have actually scythed under water and it worked great, air consumption went up greatly though. I have a scythe fitted with a steel handle that sinks and I rope it up when I'm done
The last part of my previous comment was a joke, obviously not a good one. Good luck.

Scuba I actually bought a tool very similar, it didn't work well and wasn't worth the money. Maybe you'll have better results. It clogged up with weeds right away as I pulled it. Once clogged it would no longer slice the weeds. I spent more time pulling weeds off the blades than I did cutting. I have actually scythed under water and it worked great, air consumption went up greatly though. I have a scythe fitted with a steel handle that sinks and I rope it up when I'm done
The last part of my previous comment was a joke, obviously not a good one. Good luck.

I do find a lot of lakes with no weeds out deep. I do pretty good in them so I didn't think it was a joke!

Air consumption is no issue now that I have 14 tanks and my own compressor. A scythe might be the ticket!

What I really want is one of these!! It needs to go 7' deep though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eco-Cutter...er-Lake-Pond-Harvesting-Machine-/391858335597

I have lots of ideas I am toying with. An aquatic weed rake is one, your scythe idea, a cutter of some sort even if I make one. I want to get back to some places and clean up a little more.

Thanks

For wiping out weeds at my Dads place, I drop a pair of anchors off the back of the boat with a 6' bar of rerod tied between them...then I hit the gas...the good thing is uprooted weeds float, and off they go...Then, I take a #10 can of corn, and salt the place heavy!....every single carp in the lake comes in and root out everything left and fan off the mud right down to the hardpack...

True...works like a charm...get those carp to help...makes for a nice swimming area and no weeds around the dock...plus, you never know when you might need a corn fed carp....the little Grandkids, Nieces and Nephews get to feel what a really big fish feels like...

You can just dump a can of corn around an old swim platform anchor, and come back in a few days...

For wiping out weeds at my Dads place, I drop a pair of anchors off the back of the boat with a 6' bar of rerod tied between them...then I hit the gas...the good thing is uprooted weeds float, and off they go...Then, I take a #10 can of corn, and salt the place heavy!....every single carp in the lake comes in and root out everything left and fan off the mud right down to the hardpack...

True...works like a charm...get those carp to help...makes for a nice swimming area and no weeds around the dock...plus, you never know when you might need a corn fed carp....the little Grandkids, Nieces and Nephews get to feel what a really big fish feels like...

You can just dump a can of corn around an old swim platform anchor, and come back in a few days...

That is interesting. A few small problems. I don't want to pull my cruiser very far. I keep it at a marina. I would have to buy another smaller boat which I have been thinking of anyway.

That carp idea is awesome. That really might be worth a shot. Huge can's of corn shouldn't be that expensive.

Thanks Mud

That is interesting. A few small problems. I don't want to pull my cruiser very far. I keep it at a marina. I would have to buy another smaller boat which I have been thinking of anyway.

That carp idea is awesome. That really might be worth a shot. Huge can's of corn shouldn't be that expensive.

Thanks Mud

Thats the idea..some people pay for a weed service, some pay big money and dump out those poison weed pellets...Cans of corn at Sams Club are pretty cheap considering...carp are always hungry, like Tom Sawyer did getting that fence painted? Let the carp do the dirty work, they dont mind at all! Its a Win Win!:laughing:

Well, my idea wouldn't work at all, then.

When I want to kill a grass patch for planting, I'll put heavy black plastic over it. But, I don't even know if that would be allowed in a lake, and it certainly isn't practical for that size.

Anybody ever use something like this or had the urge to clean out a spot you knew was used eon's ago as an old beach and is now overgrown?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SeaWeed-Bl...231041?hash=item33d551aa01:g:Sv8AAOSwuq9ZZ-Pj

I have my wheels spinning for a couple of my former hot spots this spring.
Not only very labor intensive but I believe you would end up in jail around here. You can't just go in the water and mow. :laughing: Maybe where you live but in FL you would be attacked by a herd of manatees for cutting down their dinner source. :laughing: Of course I am speaking about swimming beaches salt water. Lakes have too many gators for detecting or swimming.

Not only very labor intensive but I believe you would end up in jail around here. You can't just go in the water and mow. :laughing: Maybe where you live but in FL you would be attacked by a herd of manatees for cutting down their dinner source. :laughing:

Laws are very strange around here. You really have to tread lightly. A lot of invasive underwater vegetation in Michigan and it is legal to get rid of it. However as I said laws are funny. That's what I need!! A herd of manatee's!! Keep them as pets and move them from lake to lake?

The one spot I am really thinking about is an international waterway anyway.

Back
Top Bottom