First Gold Ring! **Update - It’s a Keeper!!**

Way to go Tango! My first gold ring was a 14k white gold band too. Very special occasion! Nice to see a name like Artcarved; rather than a plain Jane.
Huge CONGRATS!

Congratulations on your first gold ring! A would-be disappointing hunt turned into one that can thrill you for years to come. :D

Nice save, if you were around me when I found my first gold you would have thought I found a treasure chest :lol: Congrats.

Thanks Roy! For me, it was not only the excitement of the ring itself, but also the complete surprise - it really was the last thing I expected to find in that field! :shock:

Congratulations on your first gold ring! A would-be disappointing hunt turned into one that can thrill you for years to come. :D

Thanks Princess! No doubt, the way the hunt was originally going, it would have been totally forgettable - fading from memory as quickly as I could block it out! Now it’ll be just the opposite, remembered in detail like a first silver coin!

Way to go Tango! My first gold ring was a 14k white gold band too. Very special occasion! Nice to see a name like Artcarved; rather than a plain Jane.
Huge CONGRATS!

Congrats man, awesome ring! and its Artcarved, bonus!:thumbsup:

Thanks Foragist and Slimpicuns!! With it being white gold, I almost didn’t think it was gold at first even though my own wedding band was white gold...once I saw the mark, I was all smiles though!!

I honestly wasn’t familiar with Artcarved until now - glad to find out my first gold is quality stuff! :cool3:

Congrats on the gold!! If I were you I'd follow this old pirate metal detecting rule: Always keep your first gold ring:lol:

Now that you've found your first many more will come with many more opportunities for returns.:cool3:

Well, I was floored to see a shiny ring pop out of the loose dirt from about 5" down! The design is clearly fairly modern, and the dirt fell away easily enough that I could read the mark right on the spot...14K White gold! .

Well AT, break out your black socks and sandals. I suppose you will be moving over to the “beach and water” section now that you have the taste for finding things of real intrinsic value. Just try to stop by and say hi to us over here at “stories” and hear about our toils through muddy fields and tick infested thickets to hunt the elusive shotgun headstamps, broken spoons and overall buttons. We will miss your posts.

Well AT, break out your black socks and sandals. I suppose you will be moving over to the “beach and water” section now that you have the taste for finding things of real intrinsic value. Just try to stop by and say hi to us over here at “stories” and hear about our toils through muddy fields and tick infested thickets to hunt the elusive shotgun headstamps, broken spoons and overall buttons. We will miss your posts.

:laughing: Oh, don’t worry, teotw! You can’t get rid of me that easy...that gold was, without a doubt, an absolute aberration! Besides, I love my headstamps and broken whatsits way too much to be so quickly swayed to the bright side with its sparkling white sand and glittering gold :lol:

In fact I just got done posting about a mangled ring, toasted Wheaties, a few headstamps, and a “lowly” silver - I’ll be staying in the mud where I belong. As Dorothy once said...there’s no place like home :lol:

Update: First Gold is a Keeper!

It took over 2 weeks and four tries, but I finally caught up with the farmer who owns the field where I found the ring! Despite building up a casual friendship with the guy over the last couple years, I never did get his phone number...so I’ve had to just keep dropping by his house once in a while to try and catch him at home. Anyways, I hit the right time today and found him loading up a tractor with weed kill. He was clearly busy and still dealing with a crappy farm season, but he still greeted me with a friendly smile as always. We chatted for a bit on how things were progressing for the crops, but not wanting to waste his time, I soon just asked him straight up if he thinks he ever lost a ring in one of his fields. Of course, he joked a bit...”Did you find my Super Bowl ring?? I knew it was out there!” :lol: But he finally said, “Nope, that’s definitely not mine...looks like it’s yours now! But I really appreciate you checking.”

Woohoo - my first gold ring is a confirmed keeper!! We speculated for a short time on how it may have gotten there, and he agrees it probably got tossed from a car during a spat and maybe even got dredged out of the drainage ditch during a clean out and then ended up in the field as the tailings got spread out.

The weed tank was full by then, and he was ready to mount up and hit the fields - I didn’t want to hold him up any longer, so I asked if he wouldn’t mind giving me his phone number so I could ask about a few other fields with home sites he owned. At first he said “Sure”, but then decided “Actually, let’s make it easy - if I own it, you can go ahead and detect it anytime!” So I’ll still have to chase him down if I pull out any more nice finds in his fields, but that’s a small price to pay for keeping the ring and securing a perpetual permission across multiple good sites! :cool3:

It took over 2 weeks and four tries, but I finally caught up with the farmer who owns the field where I found the ring! Despite building up a casual friendship with the guy over the last couple years, I never did get his phone number...so I’ve had to just keep dropping by his house once in a while to try and catch him at home. Anyways, I hit the right time today and found him loading up a tractor with weed kill. He was clearly busy and still dealing with a crappy farm season, but he still greeted me with a friendly smile as always. We chatted for a bit on how things were progressing for the crops, but not wanting to waste his time, I soon just asked him straight up if he thinks he ever lost a ring in one of his fields. Of course, he joked a bit...”Did you find my Super Bowl ring?? I knew it was out there!” :lol: But he finally said, “Nope, that’s definitely not mine...looks like it’s yours now! But I really appreciate you checking.”

Woohoo - my first gold ring is a confirmed keeper!! We speculated for a short time on how it may have gotten there, and he agrees it probably got tossed from a car during a spat and maybe even got dredged out of the drainage ditch during a clean out and then ended up in the field as the tailings got spread out.

The weed tank was full by then, and he was ready to mount up and hit the fields - I didn’t want to hold him up any longer, so I asked if he wouldn’t mind giving me his phone number so I could ask about a few other fields with home sites he owned. At first he said “Sure”, but then decided “Actually, let’s make it easy - if I own it, you can go ahead and detect it anytime!” So I’ll still have to chase him down if I pull out any more nice finds in his fields, but that’s a small price to pay for keeping the ring and securing a perpetual permission across multiple good sites! :cool3:

So awesome you get to keep it and what an awesome guy this farmer sounds like!!

Congratz on your first, now you experienced your first "golden high" and that feeling lasts for several days at least...if not longer.

However, a word of warning...
Many first timers assume once you achieve this your gold fever you have had since you started will finally subside.
You will find it doesn't, after you come down from this high it just gets worse and more intense.
Trust me, after digging up about 3 dozen gold targets in the last 9 years it just never goes away...you will be chasing that high forever.
On the other hand, for myself, anyway, any piece of gold you find should trigger that same golden high you felt on the first one no matter if it is a tiny baby ring or a huge heavy class ring or large chain or religious medallion.
Such is the life of a jewelry hunting metal detectorist.
We are like cops who might have hours upon hours of mundane and boring experiences peppered with a few hours here and there of extreme, adrenaline pumping excitement.
It's actually not a bad life after all.

.....but not wanting to waste his time.......he was ready to mount up and hit the fields.......

I know what you mean. I don't like bothering people mowing their grass. Washing the car? Fine. Pulling weeds or raking leaves? Fine. But, forcing somebody to shut off their equipment feels inconsiderate.

......“Actually, let’s make it easy - if I own it, you can go ahead and detect it anytime!”......

Nice! The risk of having to hand over that ring was well worth being a confirmed "good guy" and given open season on his properties.

Glad to hear you have your first keeper. I'm sure it's a good feeling knowing that it's yours. Nice job on securing some more properties.

I hate to admit I was not sure what I had found due to the fg hallmark in my first gold ring. I thought that it might mean filled gold. Had a gent from TN tell me it was real. That is one nice ring for a first find. Congratulations.

Back
Top Bottom