Question for Garrett detector owners

skeeter

Looking to buy first detector and would like opinions on whether the Scorpion gold stinger would be worth the extra money over the ace 250.
We live in Indiana and would be hunting coins, jewelry, relics, mostly. We also plan to use it in our local river in the shallow areas. Also began prospecting last year and while we are not likely to find nuggets, could the Scorpion be used to locate likely areas to prospect?

apples to oranges

thats not a very good comparison, if you like all the features of the 250 you probably wont like the Scorpion

and vis versa if youre going after small gold flakes in highly mineralized soil go with the Scorpion it will find coins too but if your just looking for pennies in the playground the 250 is more cost effective for a 1st detector and it will also find gold

we have both btw

I guess most people don't metal detect to find pennies in the playground. (at least not me) I also assume that the scorpion has some features that make it more expensive, ie greater depth, more adjustable discrimination, and that is what I was hoping someone could explain to me.

I don't know anything about the scorpion but I do own the Ace 250 along with MANY other people here on the forum. It is a very good beginners detector for the price. I have found lots of things with the Ace 250. Well Good Luck.

I think this is where we all should ask you WHAT it is you want to find? There are a lot of different types of metal detectors. The 2 you listed are quite different. The Ace is an "all purpose" detector and the Scorpion is more geared toward finding gold.

So... what kind of metal detecting do you want to do? There, I asked it! :confetti:

I don't know anything about the scorpion but I do own the Ace 250 along with MANY other people here on the forum. It is a very good beginners detector for the price. I have found lots of things with the Ace 250. Well Good Luck.
That is what I was going to say

scorpion has a fine adjust ground balance and different frequency its really designed for prospecting

but yes it will make a noise around just about any metal
not saying the Ace isnt good my wife has one it does real well

and yes theres lots of people that hunt pennies on the playground, hang around here long enough you might meet some

Moseng,
AS I said in the original post, coins, jewelry, relics. I assume that's what most people look for. I understand the two detectors are different but no one has explained the difference. I know the scorpion is geared for gold, does that mean its less effective than the 250 for coins, jewelry, and relics? Can either tell what exactly it's seeing in the ground. The sales pitch says the 250 can but I seriously doubt it. My fishfinder won't tell me what kind of fish is down there. Wish it would.

Moseng,
AS I said in the original post, coins, jewelry, relics. I assume that's what most people look for. I understand the two detectors are different but no one has explained the difference. I know the scorpion is geared for gold, does that mean its less effective than the 250 for coins, jewelry, and relics? Can either tell what exactly it's seeing in the ground. The sales pitch says the 250 can but I seriously doubt it. My fishfinder won't tell me what kind of fish is down there. Wish it would.

Hay Skeeter,

Most do not understand the Scorpion. It is called a gold machine,
but it's operating frequency is lower than the Tesoro Cibola or the
Tejon. They are general hunting machines. The MXT operates higher
than that also.

It can be used with great success as an all around metal detector.
In my opinion it is better than the 250, hands down.

If you want to hunt gold jewelry on the beach, or anywhere, it will
definitely do better than the 250.

I think the Stinger is much better. But if coins is all you want, the
display on the 250 can help determine if you have a penny, dime
or quarter. Sometimes you can even tell the difference between
those coins. (not nickles though)

To me that is of little use because the machine tells me that stuff
without having to look at anything.

Happy Huntin,

Hay Skeeter,

If you like the Scorpion, you may also like Tesoro Vaquero.

It is not as good of a nugget machine, but it is a little more
of an all around machine. But like the Scorpion, it has no
display.

The Vaq is may cost a little less than the Scorpoin.

The Scorpion is nice, but the battery set-up is a real pain.
It is too heavy for me.

I like Tesoro because they are the lightest, they have a life
time warranty and they like gold.

Happy Huntin,

You probably won't do as much water hunting as ground searching, but the ACE 250 would do you a fine job in either location. It's just a nice, simple, easy-to-use machine. Good hunting.

Back
Top Bottom