Votes: 35 3.3%
  • Whites Coinmaster, Coinmaster Pro

Votes: 81 7.7%
  • BH Discovery 1100, 2200, 3300

Votes: 22 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 98 9.4%

• Total voters
Consider the Fisher F2, and the Garrett Ace 250.

Both are exceptional beginner MDs.

Consider the Fisher F2, and the Garrett Ace 250. Both are exceptional beginner MDs.
OK. Independent reviewers of the Ace 250 give it high marks, but some mention that it's not too good at "pinpointing". What is "pinpointing"/what does it do for you? Do I have to purchase a different coil to get good pinpointing? If so, why doesn't the base 250 include a pinpointing coil?

I notice, too, that Amazon lists detector headphones. Do you have to add headphones to be able to use a detector efficiently?

BTW, I was not notified of your reply via e-mail. I assumed one would automatically get notifications of additional posts to any thread they responded to. Is that not so on this forum?

Last edited:
OK. Independent reviewers of the Ace 250 give it high marks, but some mention that it's not too good at "pinpointing". What is "pinpointing"/what does it do for you? Do I have to purchase a different coil to get good pinpointing? If so, why doesn't the base 250 include a pinpointing coil?

I notice, too, that Amazon lists detector headphones. Do you have to add headphones to be able to use a detector efficiently?

BTW, I was not notified of your reply via e-mail. I assumed one would automatically get notifications of additional posts to any thread they responded to. Is that not so on this forum?

you can get e-mail replies to private messages, but not to forum responses (at least to my knowledge)

pin pointing is essentially a catch all term for vastly narrowing down your targets location. I can't speak for the Garrett ACE 250, but the F2 is fairly accurate when pin pointing.

You don't need a separate coil to pin point. Most detectors come with a bounty hunter style pin pointer which is useful to a degree, but by no means as good as a pro pointer.

I don't personally use head phones as I primarily detect in heavy woods and the cord would get tangled everywhere.

I own a Fisher F2 and a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. Of the two, the Fisher is far and away the better model.

If I had $300 to spend like you, I would purchase a Fisher F2 and a Garrett Pro Pointer. Odds are, if you contact one of the forum sponsors, you may be able to get a pretty good deal on them!

Whatever you decide on, have a blast and Happy Hunting =)

I agree with the f2 and pro pointer. Have used a ace 250 before and just doesn't compare to the f2 just my 2 cents. Btw if u do get the f2 don't get the package that the free pinpointer comes with it cause its useless.

I agree with the f2 and pro pointer. Have used a ace 250 before and just doesn't compare to the f2 just my 2 cents. Btw if u do get the f2 don't get the package that the free pinpointer comes with it cause its useless.

well, it isn't -useless- per say

just when you compare it with the alternative it sure looks that way

When I used my bounty hunter, I didn't have a pinpointer and the King sent me his. I still use it to this day because the propointer is way too expensive for me lol

I use the fisher f2. It's a very good detector that is easy to learn. I think both tone and VDI are helpfull to any detectorist. It will find most targets up to 8 inches, the warranty is great and so far mine is a year old with no problems. There are several sponcers here that you can call and get some one on one info from that might help you better for your area and the kind of hunting you want to do.

you can get e-mail replies to private messages, but not to forum responses (at least to my knowledge).

Pin pointing is essentially a catch all term for vastly narrowing down your targets location. I can't speak for the Garrett ACE 250, but the F2 is fairly accurate when pin pointing.

You don't need a separate coil to pin point. Most detectors come with a bounty hunter style pin pointer which is useful to a degree, but by no means as good as a pro pointer.

I don't personally use head phones as I primarily detect in heavy woods and the cord would get tangled everywhere.

I own a Fisher F2 and a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. Of the two, the Fisher is far and away the better model.

If I had $300 to spend like you, I would purchase a Fisher F2 and a Garrett Pro Pointer. Odds are, if you contact one of the forum sponsors, you may be able to get a pretty good deal on them!

Whatever you decide, have a blast and Happy Hunting =)
Very strange. I have or am still a registered member on probably 50 forums and all of them automatically subscribe you to any thread you start or to which you post a reply.

The Garrett pin pointer is really expensive @ $127 (Amazon), so I wouldn't get it until after I've gained experience with the detector. I note that Amazon offers the F2 with Fisher pin pointer for $215 (only $16 over the price of the F2 alone) here, but the reviews on the pin pointer are not good. I guess you get what you pay for.

I think so much of this question is based on the amout of money the person wants to spend and where you plan on doing most of your hunting. If you can afford to step up to a md with ground balance I would do it. If not there are plent of good md's for good prices. I have a $400 fisher F4 and my neighbor has a $200 BH lonestar with no GB or PP but when checking how different things sounded on our md's I couldnt get a good signal on a small 10k ring and he hit it every time! It all depends on how much you can spend, where you plan on hunting, and what you will be looking for. If we were looking for gold rings on the beach his $200 BH would be better than my $400 F4. If we were looking for beer caps in the park my F4 with the DD coil would win for sure!:laughing:

When it comes to buying detectors, buy the best you can afford, don't just buy a cheaper model because you feel it will be easier to learn. Yes, lower priced models do have less features making them easier to adjust but on every high end machine made today are preset programs which make them just as easy if not easier to use. If you are unsure if you like detecting and just want to give it a try then a cheaper model might be right for you but if you are certain that you will enjoy detecting it is well worth the money to buy a higher end machine. When I began detecting 20 years ago, I started with low to mid range machines, after a few weeks with these detectors I started dreaming of the higher end detectors and wishing I had saved my money and purchased one of those instead. When it comes down to it, buy the best you can afford, don't just buy something because it looks easier or is cheaper. No mater what you buy you will have to learn the detector and how it responds to targets so you are better getting something you wont outgrow rather than having to learn a new machine every few months. :grin:

I learned the hard way too.....

:my2cents: I thought I needed to go the EZ way, but if i only knew what I know today...If I had only known about the Minelab GP 3500..
Its got tobe the easiest gold detector I have ever used. Untill it got stolen:cuss: Just turn on ,and go.. any Minelab dealer will teach you how to use it. Even if you're brain dead ,,like me. God bless all'' HH.

im pretty new to md and i went with the fisher f2 and i like it, its easy to use and for $220 u get a 4" coil,8" coil and pinpointer which i know its not the best pinpointed but it does help out.

Very new to the hobby and just beginning my research. Took a look at the poll and the Garrett Ace 250-350 and the Fisher F2 seem to have garnered the most votes. Can the community tell me why? What are the differences? I know that most of my searching will be in fields away from the beach although there will be times when I will want to use the MD there. Budget is about $300.
Are there questions I should be asking initially that I'm not? Appreciate everyone's time in answering.

I know that the first one I bought won't be on the list, a Garrett Treasure Hunter back in 1974. I would suggest that a beginner should look at the Ace 250. Easy to use.

For anyone state side and near a Dunhams sporting goods store, they carry Bounty Hunter Tracker IV's and almost always have 30% off any one item e-coupons. I bought mine New for $80. From what I've read here, I don't think you can beat that bang for buck on a new machine.

my two cents

I just got a tracker four very happy with it first few times out found a dollar in change its was a small investment and well worth it plan in up grading at some point want to learn the ins and outs of hunting first

I started out with a Prism V which I received as a gift, so I can't compare it to any other detectors. I'm a newbie and so far have found mostly clad, a few silver coins and a nice silver pocket watch which I've been told is from the early 1900's. My daughter has a Bounty Hunter. We both enjoy getting out and hunting for treasure. Hopefully, this year we will get a chance to go out more.

Back
Top Bottom