Lohr Lauer sports or military badge

Iggyks

Elite Member
A few months ago I found the small shield shaped front of this badge and just figured it was some cereal premium or something. Six weeks or so later I found the back and the round fastener in a different hole from where i found the front. Back says "Lohr Lauer Nurnberg." I see coinlike medallions by this company when i search but not badges - was it for an athletic event or military? Found on the site of an elementary school open 1910 to about 1959, maybe some kid brought it for Show and Tell...

Attachments

• Badge LV school.jpg
    Badge LV school.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 428
somewhat difficult :) I think some older signal corps crest. I found a stale ebay link for such pin, but as it was stale...
Also similar star&lightning bolts was used by 136th signal battalion. So maybe someone has better luck than me...

another edit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-ARMY-DI...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

links to the original ebay ad. looks like seller didn't have much of a clue either.

Voriax

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
I wonder what the significance of the dovetail looking things are. They don't look like any electrical circuit symbol I can find (lightning made me think electrical).

I wonder what the significance of the dovetail looking things are. They don't look like any electrical circuit symbol I can find (lightning made me think electrical).

Remind me of a stylized Telegraph Key for sending Morse code.

Neat find especially with both pieces.

Thank you everyone for the great help! I think Voriax's photo may be the same insignia but in nice shape as what I found. :)

Here's a German signal corps insignia - similar things on it

Attachments

• German signal corps insignia NA.jpg
    German signal corps insignia NA.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 278
Didn't dream a US insignia would be made in Germany. Maybe prior to WW II?

Nope. That company, which by the way is not "Lohr Lauer Nurnberg", but rather "L. CHR. LAUER NÜRNBERG", named for its founder, Ludwig Christian Lauer, who founded it in 1848, made lots of military insignia, signage and other finished metal doodads for the postwar U.S. occupational forces. After all, Bavaria was in the American Zone, and they were always desperate to find ways to keep the locals somehow gainfully employed.

The company is still in business, though no longer located in Nürnberg (which you might know as "Nuremberg"). Instead, they are in the nearby town of Röthenbach an der Pegnitz. Currently their website at www.lauer-metall.de just gets you a big blank nothing, but here is their old-timey contact info:

L. Chr. Lauer GmbH
Sulzbacher Str. 47
90552 Röthenbach
GERMANY

Maybe a letter to them might reveal more details on the object. Otherwise, I'd try posting images of it and that better condition eBay twin of it to various Militaria forums, like this one.. Sooner or later someone will recognize the unit insignia.

Nope. That company, which by the way is not "Lohr Lauer Nurnberg", but rather "L. CHR. LAUER NÜRNBERG", named for its founder, Ludwig Christian Lauer, who founded it in 1848, made lots of military insignia, signage and other finished metal doodads for the postwar U.S. occupational forces. After all, Bavaria was in the American Zone, and they were always desperate to find ways to keep the locals somehow gainfully employed.

The company is still in business, though no longer located in Nürnberg (which you might know as "Nuremberg"). Instead, they are in the nearby town of Röthenbach an der Pegnitz. Currently their website at www.lauer-metall.de just gets you a big blank nothing, but here is their old-timey contact info:

L. Chr. Lauer GmbH
Sulzbacher Str. 47
90552 Röthenbach
GERMANY

Maybe a letter to them might reveal more details on the object. Otherwise, I'd try posting images of it and that better condition eBay twin of it to various Militaria forums, like this one.. Sooner or later someone will recognize the unit insignia.

Thank you! That explains why I only got a few hits on Google - others who misread it. I will post it as you recommended.

Back
Top Bottom