• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Frozen ground, and a find of a different kind

Caius Gauge

Hello everyone.

I decided to go out this weekend, fueled by my recent bracelet find, and the ever-cooling temperatures here in Wisconsin. I know it is just a matter of time until the ground just becomes a huge icecube:(

I went to a beach I had not been to before, and was instantly shocked at the ice forming on the end of the lake. First red flag. I hit a quarter signal about 3 in deep, and my digging tool didnt even dent the ground. 2nd 3rd and 4th red flag. I was soooooo disappointed. Frozen ground = no digging.

I would like to note that it was 13 degrees when I got to the park. By the time I left, It had hit a whopping 20 degrees. AAAARGGGH!!!!!

Unless we have an unnaturally warm winter, or I go south for the winter, I am offically done for the year. I didnt have a bad run, and have only been detecting now since the very end of July this year. Less than 5 mos of detecting and I am hooked!

I wanted to mention one event that happened while I was detecting today. Whenever someone looks over as they pass by, or someone makes eye contact, I like to say "Hi" or at least give a wave and a friendly smile. It really makes people feel comfortable when the "unknown" person detecting in their park makes a friendly gesture.

A woman and her son, and their dog, were walking by, and I gave my wave and said Hello. The dog ran up and checked my sorry excuse for a hole in the frozen soil. The woman came up, with her son who was checking out the freezing lake. I had a GREAT conversation with her, and her son was literally GLUED to my humble ACE 250. After a few MD discussions, I explained how I went about my searches, and how I dug, etc. The boy was so enthralled, he asked if he could dig for me, and immediately went at it. The mother was so friendly and the boy was so helpful, I could not help smiling from ear to ear. The young man kept saying that metal detecting was "discovering history" and I was like an archeologist. The mother agreed, and was just blown away at how friendly the dog was to me, and how nice I was in return to her pooch (I LOVE, repeat LOVE animals.) We as a group all kind of clicked.

I only got 10 pennies that morning, from about 9am to 11am, and one wheatie, with the usual bottlecaps, and can slaw. I could only dig about 2in deep (with GREAT effort) before I literally hurt myself, unless I had a hammer and chisel:(

All in all, the meeting with the lovely woman and her great son and their awesome dog made the whole lousy morning worthwhile. I hope I see them again in the spring. Maybe they will be out their with their OWN detectors :)
My only regret is that I didnt remember their names, and they remembered mine as they were leaving. It made me feel kinda crummy that I didnt remember. Oh well.

Sorry it wasnt a big banner day, everyone. Thanks for looking. I hope to have some great new posts if we head down to FL this winter !!!!!!

Nice job promoting MD'ing. If that kid doesn't get a MD soon I am sure he will one day.

I hear you about the frozen ground. I am going to give it one last shot today as the temps are suppose to make into the 40s. Woohoo. I am going to head out to some property set aside for hunting and take the shovel and pick. With it not being a park I don't need to be quite as neat with my holes. There were 2 houses on the property at one point so I am hoping I can figure out where they were. Once the ground thaws we should try to get together. HH.

This is what I really like about MDing. Taking time to promote our sport when people ask. Nice job! Yes, we ran into frozen ground yesterday in Kansas. No fun!:(

I am glad you ran into friendly civilians. I am considering adding a butane torch to my digging arsenal for this Winter :grin:

Back
Top Bottom