First hunt with new X-terra 705

Briman05

Elite Member
Well I took the new machine out saturday. I wasn't out to long because it was windy and cold. I only found .03 cents but I was really just out trying to learn my new 705. I got the gold pack so I'm hoping that I will find more this summer. Any advice on settings would greatly help. I've been reading the manual and the ebook on minelab.com.

Mostly, at this point it's about getting out in the field and gaining experience with the machine. Unless there is someone hunting the same ground with the same machine, there isn't much in the way of settings that anyone can give you that would be relevant.

Always set the Noise Cancel channel first (the auto feature is great).
Switch to All Metal, and find a clean spot of ground to Ground Balance over (again, the auto feature works better than you do).
Then run the SENS as high as possible, maintaining stability.

Except in the trashiest areas, I tend to run in All Metal Mode. The secret to success in any mode is GO SLOW! My swing generally takes about three seconds.

Since the bin widths are closer together at the high end of the scale running the HF coil, you will want to pay peticular attention to the subtle differences in the tone of high registering targets. Warbles, chortles, broken tones, etc, will indicate different targets, ie; rusty bottlecaps vs coins. Coins will usually be a clear unbroken tone, but if moving too fast and/or near other objects even they can become "less clear". Repeatability is what you're looking for. And while you're learning, the rule of thumb should be, "When in doubt...dig." Eventually, you will be able to distinguish between most good targets and trash.

HH

Well I took the new machine out saturday. I wasn't out to long because it was windy and cold. I only found .03 cents but I was really just out trying to learn my new 705. I got the gold pack so I'm hoping that I will find more this summer. Any advice on settings would greatly help. I've been reading the manual and the ebook on minelab.com.

:laughing: we are in the same stage of detecting. First time out for me was 4 cents. Going out again today. good luck to ya

One of my pennys was a 1979 and it rang up a 30. I saw that on the screen and thought that has to be a penny. I'm running it on 4 tones. I think im going to need some new head phones cause my headphones that came my old GTAX 550 and not giving any tone at some points during my swing to the left

Good phones are a big plus!
I always run multi-tone, as I feel that I'm less likely to have a good target lumped in with less desireable ones.

30-32 will almost always be a zinc penny. Copper memorials usually come in @ 38. That said, since other good stuff can come in @ the same range as zincolns, I've learned to also look at the depth. I'll dig if it's deep.
Otherwise I just leave 'em to finish rotting, or for the Tesoro users to find. :whistle:

Good phones are a big plus!
I always run multi-tone, as I feel that I'm less likely to have a good target lumped in with less desireable ones.

30-32 will almost always be a zinc penny. Copper memorials usually come in @ 38. That said, since other good stuff can come in @ the same range as zincolns, I've learned to also look at the depth. I'll dig if it's deep.
Otherwise I just leave 'em to finish rotting, or for the Tesoro users to find. :whistle:

I dig everything cause pennys do add up it just takes longer. I figured I would run on 4 tones so I'm not overwhelmed at the beginning and then start using it when summer time comes and I hit the beach hard

You got yourself a really good detector. I did really well using a 305.

At the rate you're finding pennies, you will pay for your 705 in no time at all.:lol:

beephead

You got yourself a really good detector. I did really well using a 305.

At the rate you're finding pennies, you will pay for your 705 in no time at all.:lol:

beephead

well come this summer I'll be back to the 3-4 dollars in a hour and a half

Not always true I found a small sterling ring 2 inches down tdi numbers were 30-32 but the sound was good. Dont make the mistake of passing up penny signals if you are in a location with jewerly potential:shock:

Thats the frustration and allure of metal detecting you can never be 100% sure of a target untill you dig it up doesn't matter how much the machine costs no target ids are 100% accurate. My good finds really went up after I started digging more by sound then TID. Takes some practice but the xterras are good machines that will find stuff if its there and IF you know what the machine is telling you. Enjoy

Just take your time and Listen more than rely on the ID for starting out.

Not always true I found a small sterling ring 2 inches down tdi numbers were 30-32 but the sound was good. Dont make the mistake of passing up penny signals if you are in a location with jewerly potential:shock:

Thats the frustration and allure of metal detecting you can never be 100% sure of a target untill you dig it up doesn't matter how much the machine costs no target ids are 100% accurate. My good finds really went up after I started digging more by sound then TID. Takes some practice but the xterras are good machines that will find stuff if its there and IF you know what the machine is telling you. Enjoy

I've had my 705 with the gold pack 10x5 HF DD coil since about May of this year. I also went out and found only a few cents. It is imperrative that you learn how to set it up correctly. I would suggest that you start out using the All Metal mode, 99 tones, adjust your sensitivitiy to about 25 to start, and most importantly perform the ground ballance. It makes the world of a difference if you set it up right. This way you will hear the iron from the aluminum/coins that you are going to find. If i hear a lot of low tones which also register low on the TID I might change the setting to discriminate the IRON. That is the way I do it and I know there will be more advice to compliment as well as disagree on how you should start. The thing is, nobody is there with you to help you so you will have to try everything and learn from it. I still find my self taking the advice from just about everyone, DIG EVERYTHING, and it does damage to my knees but I learn a lot from doing it. Good luck and HH.

well I yesterday I ran it on a low sensitivity around 6-10 because I was on the beach I had my thershold about 19 my volume at 30 it was auto ground balanced and noice canceled with 4 tones. I found a nickel and a penny nickel range up a solid 12 penny was a 34. Oh and found a pair of of victoria secert thong underwear that I stayed away from cause that is gross

well I yesterday I ran it on a low sensitivity around 6-10 because I was on the beach I had my thershold about 19 my volume at 30 it was auto ground balanced and noice canceled with 4 tones. I found a nickel and a penny nickel range up a solid 12 penny was a 34. Oh and found a pair of of victoria secert thong underwear that I stayed away from cause that is gross

How did you know it was VS if you stayed away? Those tags are tiny! Lol ;)

I think im going to need some new head phones cause my headphones that came my old GTAX 550 and not giving any tone at some points during my swing to the left
Sounds like time for new ones. If you're not getting any threshold tone 'til 19 w/volume @ 30, then there's something not right.

You should just be barely able to hear it. It should be almost inaudible. Having it higher can hide subtle tones.

Refer to page 12 of the e-book "Understanding Your X-Terra" by Randy Horton. He explains and illustrates the effects of having threshold too high or too low.

Back
Top Bottom