Did I decide too quickly?

Walrus350

Elite Member
I decided to sell the my Sand Shark after going to an infamous beach heavy with black sand. I had a 9 gram gold bracelet on the surface and my SS didn't make a peep. Same results with a hoop earring and small stud.
However it banged on a 14k ring buried about 4 inches. Probably would've hit deeper but didn't want to risk losing it.

So my question is, would excals or 3030's results be the same? Also, I know the Nox would sound on those targets, but how deep could they be before they're undectectable?

I like my SS but it hasn't found gold, only 3 silver rings.

I would tie a string to the bracelet and bury it a couple of inches and see if the SS can hear it.

It's good to experiment with your detector and learn its' limits.

The excal would hit hard on the hoop if it was a closed loop. The stud would have to be shallow.

Your results on the SS have not been my experience but my beaches are not like yours.

So my question is, would excals or 3030's results be the same? Also, I know the Nox would sound on those targets, but how deep could they be before they're undectectable?

No one can answer this question. It depends on the position of the items, environment (sand/water/emf), settings, etc.

The Pulse detectors i have used need the ground. In other words the surface stuff hardly set them off. The deeper stuff it hit hard. You figure it out pretty quick if you dig something up and then struggle to find it on top of the ground.

Yeah, PI's don't air test well, but having a target in the ground is a whole different story.

Still seems odd, 9 grams is a lot.

Yeah, PI's don't air test well, but having a target in the ground is a whole different story.

This is incorrect. Eric Foster is quoted multiple times as saying they (PI machines) air test just as well as in the ground. This is of course assuming they are doing it correctly (controlling for noise, emf, etc)

I'll be out at 4am tomorrow morn. It'll be a different beach. I'll post the results.
I've always avoided this one because of the interference and haven't had many opportunities to go early.

But yeah, as soon as it didn't hit a 9 gram gold bracelet, I was dead set on selling it. To be fair it was a rope-style and not large linked.

I'll be out at 4am tomorrow morn. It'll be a different beach. I'll post the results.
I've always avoided this one because of the interference and haven't had many opportunities to go early.

But yeah, as soon as it didn't hit a 9 gram gold bracelet, I was dead set on selling it. To be fair it was a rope-style and not large linked.

I'll bet your AT Max would hit that bracelet...

<°)))>{

Oh yeah. All day in the dry. I can't really trust it in west sand though. I'm bringing that along and I'll test that too.

Yeah, I was considering buying a Tiger Shark so I brought a tiny chain, and a 0.2 gram pendant (found with my ATP) with me on a hunt to test on a tiger shark another member had, the TS couldn't see them at all from what I remember...

<°)))>{

Yeah, I was considering buying a Tiger Shark so I brought a tiny chain, and a 0.2 gram pendant (found with my ATP) with me on a hunt to test on a tiger shark another member had, the TS couldn't see them at all from what I remember...

<°)))>{

AT Pro will hit on smaller gold. Guys here swear by them in the dry sand. May have a little issue in salt. But if i could still hunt the dry all i would need is an at pro. Guy who dry sand hunts here at night has a 3 light set up on his. He can see all his grid marks. You mess up and hunt there in the day with a multi frequency the dry sand is cleaned out:lol:

This is incorrect. Eric Foster is quoted multiple times as saying they (PI machines) air test just as well as in the ground. This is of course assuming they are doing it correctly (controlling for noise, emf, etc)

Infinium i had couldn't. Its why i sold mine. Cant argue with Eric Foster though. Do know my results with PI detectors in Florida never got much more depth than a good VLF

Infinium i had couldn't. Its why i sold mine. Cant argue with Eric Foster though. Do know my results with PI detectors in Florida never got much more depth than a good VLF

Hmm, well the Sea hunter gains a solid 8" over My Blue Excal in P/P. Maybe because the SH doesn't have the GB?

Eric is reputable...BUT...I can take out my Surf PI pro right now and show video that Eric statement isn't valid for all machines. If I'm lucky, I air test at 6". I'll nab coins at up to 3x that depth when they are buried in the ground.

Hmm, well the Sea hunter gains a solid 8" over My Blue Excal in P/P. Maybe because the SH doesn't have the GB?

Not sure? By the way you get lucky and get one of the hot blue excals you will be amazed what they do in disc. I run my 8" one in pinpoint in the water. The last 10" i bought is one of the hot ones. Way better than my excal ll. Blue does in depth in disc what an excal ll does in pinpoint:shock:

Eric is reputable...BUT...I can take out my Surf PI pro right now and show video that Eric statement isn't valid for all machines. If I'm lucky, I air test at 6". I'll nab coins at up to 3x that depth when they are buried in the ground.

I have heard this from numerous people but I have not been able to replicate it and I have tried many times. I have some theories why I can't replicate it though...I have tested a CTX, Excal, Whites DF, and CZ21. All air tested better than the ground test. In fact, the air tests were nearly double the ground test. That doesn't mean I believe air tests are always deeper...

To do my tests I first made sure I went to area free of emf. I have an emf tester that confirmed this. I have a pond/field behind my house that isn't near anything and could do it there. Then I air tested. Then I put the quarter into the ground, attached to a plastic ruler. The ground was a mixture of soil/sand as I live near the beach. My beaches on the US east coast have very low mineralization so you can get max depth with them (why most PI and VLF depth is usually the same here).

In my air tests, I would get 12-14''. When I tested the machines in the ground test, only the CTX could hit 8 inches and that was with a 17'' coil. The rest hit 6''. Now there could be problems with my test, in that the ground could of caused the issue. Also, the halo effect. So I did let the quarter in the ground for 3 days but nothing changed though that isn't really long at all.

I have spoken to OBN about this on another forum a few yrs back who said that with his headphone adjustments to the Excal his machines will ground test deeper, so that does confirm that machines can ground test deeper. I have heard that the BBS/FBS technology looks for ground, so an air test is not supposed to be valid on them. This is of course according to minelab though Tom Dankowski confirmed it as well. However, on my tests I cannot get them to ground test even close to the air test. My machines are stock though, not modified. So many things can affect these tests though - ground type, rust around the object, emf, swing speed, settings, etc.

So my conclusions: My test leads me to some conclusions but its far from a perfect test. I need to do a much more controlled test in the future. I plan to do this with the EQX but my hypothesis is that a machine isn't going to really be deeper on an air vs ground test, at least for a recent drop. I don't think you can really do a fair air test against a drop that is old and has tons of rust around it. That should be deeper then the air test. I think this is where we get a lot of mixed information from on air vs ground tests.

Anyway, its an interesting topic. I don't think we really do a lot of controlled tests. Most are eyeballed and we don't really reflect on them. This is one of the reasons I love seeing tests by eric foster, dankowski, OBN, etc.

The Pulse Delay is terrible on the SS that is the bottom line...

I usually don't like posting other links but I will here...

The Sand shark will most likely not do any better than any good VLF machine on most Florida beaches because much of Florida's sand is without any mineralization.

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,60199,60260

Back
Top Bottom