Head stamp ID

aviationgale

Elite Member
I found this past weekend a head stamp marked with RF at the top but can't remember what on the bottom, as I cannot find it at the moment. Tearing everything apart trying to find it. Any help IDing greatly appreciated. Thanks, MJ

It is the same as any UMC shotgun head stamp. I think I may have thrown it out by mistake. I was just wondering if it was at all rare, as I have never seen one before.

It doesn't jog anything in the memory as something either common or rare. A picture would go a long way. If it is a shotgun headstamp, can you at least give us a gauge?

I found this past weekend a head stamp marked with RF at the top but can't remember what on the bottom, as I cannot find it at the moment. Tearing everything apart trying to find it. Any help IDing greatly appreciated. Thanks, MJ

I would have kept that, might not be valuable, maybe collectable, probably an off brand small ammunition company's initials no defunct, I've researched head-stamps a lot in the past down to 8ga and even European shells, never seen a RF stamped, usually RF stands for Rim Fire, but not in the case of shotgun shells.

Possibly R.F. Sedgley, Philadelphia Pa. Inc. Made custom rifles in the early 1900's, but also made 10Ga hand held flare guns for the military in WWII, some known 10Ga shotgun flare pistols were made in 1942 and 1943. If these were the actual flare headstamps, someone would have shot some off testing or just for whatever, as I assume most of these would have been fired overseas, but it's possible he made shotgun shell of the same Gauge.

picture.php

picture.php

Flare shells came both in headstamp type ammo as well as non-headstamp(basically a long casing.)

A long shot, maybe some other info else will turn up

Possibly R.F. Sedgley, Philadelphia Pa. Inc. Made custom rifles in the early 1900's, but also made 10Ga hand held flare guns for the military in WWII, some known 10Ga shotgun flare pistols were made in 1942 and 1943. If these were the actual flare headstamps, someone would have shot some off testing or just for whatever, as I assume most of these would have been fired overseas, but it's possible he made shotgun shell of the same Gauge.
picture.php

picture.php

Flare shells came both in headstamp type ammo as well as non-headstamp(basically a long casing.)

A long shot, maybe some other info else will turn up

YES this is it! I found it in Ontario Lake NY, so flare gun makes sense. Thank you for hunting this info down. I'm pretty sure I threw it out by mistake as I was getting ready to leave to come back home, and it was early. Thanks again mystery solved!!

Back
Top Bottom