Heavily hunted fairground!!!

NebTrac

Elite Member
Howdy everyone.

I'd been in contact recently with another detectorist and had come to learn he had lived in Nebraska at one time. When I disclosed to him the area I lived in, he informed me that he had detected our county fairgrounds. Said he'd found some barbers there. So today after church I grabbed a friend of mine that doesn't own a detector and took him there. Not expecting to find much because all I ever hear about this area is how many people have worked this area where the carnival's used to be during fair. Well this is what I have to say. The place has been worked (I've had more than one person tell me they've seen people detecting there), and I'm sure a lot of people have found silver, wheats and IH's there. I only found 2 clad dimes, but what amazed me, is I feel I really put the machine to the test for hunting in a worked out area.

Was there about 2-3 hours. I let my friend detect for about 1/2 that time. First good deep signal turned out to be the barber dime. I was blown away, 7" down in hard packed ground, sensitivity in Auto +3 (when I looked at it, it was hovering around 18, so suggested was 15...20 yds away from 2 sets of RR tracks). After I retreived the dime, I swung over to check the hole and completely nulled out (using Andy's Coin program).

We found a 2 wheat cent hole about 6" down, I dug a deep beer bottle lid, then hit another good signal. 6" and my first Silver Washington (I've got barbers and 1 SLQ). Again, after retreiving the target, re-swiped the hole and another complete null. My friend got wheat at 7", on a typical good signal.

All in all it was a good time seeing the E-Trac doing what it was designed to do. I ran conduct. sounds, mulit tones, var. 29, limits 30, deep=off, fast=off, high trash, ground=neutral (the senst. would fluxuate, but mostly hit hung around 25 or so). I really feel like this was the first time I really opened it up and let it talk to me. I let my friend have the wheats (2- 1919's and 1- 1936)

Sorry no video of this, but I feel comfortable that this will be a good place to do some taping at...just a lot of train noise!!!!

So I want to thank him for at least leaving me some silver...I appreciate it!!!

Enjoy your hunting!!!

NebTrac

Attachments

• 1952Quarter.jpg
    1952Quarter.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 497
  • 1906barber.jpg
    1906barber.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 507
  • barberback.jpg
    barberback.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 486
  • quarterback.jpg
    quarterback.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 504
Boy !! That couldn't have worked out much better than that !!
Awesome finds!!
Now......you've got barberS and 1 SL ??? but this is your first Wash. ??? Oh man..... since last year I've got 8 Washingtons and 1 barber > I can't seem to hook up with a SLQ !! :mad: Oh well...it'll happen :gimmy:
Nice !
Congrats :D

I can't seem to hook up with a SLQ !! :mad: Oh well...it'll happen :gimmy:
Nice !
Congrats :D

That's the attitude I take also...its just fun to hunt!!!! By the way...I hope people don't hate me for this but I've never found a silver Rosie either. I've gotten mercuries and barbers but no Rosie...or a seated.

NebTrac

That's the attitude I take also...its just fun to hunt!!!! By the way...I hope people don't hate me for this but I've never found a silver Rosie either. I've gotten mercuries and barbers but no Rosie...or a seated.

NebTrac

Hate you?....no....:no:....envy you...... yes :yes:
:lol:

You just have to love those old fairgrounds! I have one in my town that everyone says is 'hunted out' but I have been able to find some good stuff there, last summer and already this year too. Got my first 2 silvers (a rosie and a Washington) last year and a 1916 EX-fine barber dime this year. Congrats on your finds at the fair and good luck on future digs. : )

Very nice finds! This makes me want to hit up our old fairgrounds! Just not sure who to get in contact with to make sure it's kosher.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I got 3 mercuries but no silver rosie and two V nickels but no Buffalo. Sounds like you are really getting in tune with your detector.:goodluck:

NebTrac

Of course, one theory for this is that the Rosies were mostly found back in the 70s and 80s when detectors were first popular. The older coins maybe were out of reach of the older detectors? Very nice finds, BTW.

Very Well Done!!!............There are finds out there.........Even in hunted to death areas......WTG!!!

Awesome that your pulling good coins out of a "hunted out" spot keep it up congrats HH

Persistence!

No matter how much an area is worked, there's always another treasure to be found. Your persistence paid off in spades.....well actually silver. :yes:

Last edited:
Thanks for the story and pictures, congrats on the silver and rest of your finds. WTG!!! Good luck and HH

Back
Top Bottom