Places i've hunted without permission

pplinker

Forum Supporter
1. An abandoned farm house on land owned by a huge gas company that never sets foot on the property. It's falling down and getting too overgrown to hunt really.

2. A construction site where they tore down an old family store to build a new dollar store. I figured the corporate office was in another state somewhere. The equipment operators saw me a couple times, didn't mind. The neighborhood watch guy came around and was taking a couple old bricks as souiviners. (sp) because everything was going to the dump.

3. An abandoned mansion where the elderly owner lives in a distant city. Everybody else goes there and paints graffiti and has taken the stair railings and fireplace mantels.

4. Field owned by the power company but a farmer plants crops there. There used to be old houses there. I've went there a few times in spring or fall when nothing was growing.

I don't see anything wrong about not asking under these circumstances. There is no "no trespassing" signs.

Any thoughts?

Done here. I knew I should have ignored this post. Out before the close. Bye.

Last edited:
1. An abandoned farm house on land owned by a huge gas company that never sets foot on the property. It's falling down and getting too overgrown to hunt really.

2. A construction site where they tore down an old family store to build a new dollar store. I figured the corporate office was in another state somewhere. The equipment operators saw me a couple times, didn't mind. The neighborhood watch guy came around and was taking a couple old bricks as souiviners. (sp) because everything was going to the dump.

3. An abandoned mansion where the elderly owner lives in a distant city. Everybody else goes there and paints graffiti and has taken the stair railings and fireplace mantels.

4. Field owned by the power company but a farmer plants crops there. There used to be old houses there. I've went there a few times in spring or fall when nothing was growing.

I don't see anything wrong about not asking under these circumstances. There is no "no trespassing" signs.

Any thoughts?

Only one thought...
If you own anything, even though you aren't standing there watching over it, do you think anyone wanting to use/take/touch your property should have the respect to ask and receive your permission first?

Lighten up,folks.

My best was an undisturbed subterranean "beehive" tomb in a country in the mid east which I will not specify. At least 3000 years old and never opened. That's the good news - the bad news - it was the ritual buriel of a cremated goat offering - oh well.....

Lighten up,folks.

My best was an undisturbed subterranean "beehive" tomb in a country in the mid east which I will not specify. At least 3000 years old and never opened. That's the good news - the bad news - it was the ritual buriel of a cremated goat offering - oh well.....

:facepalm::laughing:

My thoughts are that you should always ask permission before detecting any property that is not yours or for public use. Personally, I'd feel on edge and paranoid detecting somewhere that I did not have permission, which would make for a very unenjoyable hunt.

Number 1, 2, and 4 are corporations, I don't feel bad.. Number 3, the elderly person, in distant city, yes that sounds wrong. The people who are vandalizing and stealing stuff from the house are more wrong but it is still wrong to even metal detect. I was wrong.

I only found one wheat penny there. Next time I'm out that way i'll put it back. It might not be the same one, because I don't remember the date but I think it was in the 50's.

It's always best to ask permission before you start detecting. The risk is too high for an unknown reward. Always know when and where you can push your legal limits, otherwise, you will run into trouble one day...

...Any thoughts?

Pplinker, you are asking this on a family-friendly forum where some people think you need permission before hunting city park sandboxes. So ..... what answers did you expect ? No .... you can't even step off the sidewalk.

20 or 30 years ago I hunted a lot of places without permission. My family either new the owner or it was just an area that people always used. I think it might be different there now but I miss those days.

Now most people are basically trapped on tiny portions of land with no access to anything other than their property, the sidewalk and parks. Even public land is heavily regulated so it is really just government land.

I think a lot of the very submissive people who can't do anything without official approval just make things worse usually. I would suggest getting permission when possible but don't bring attention to yourself if you don't have too.

Done here. I knew I should have just moved along...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Pplinker, you are asking this on a family-friendly forum where some people think you need permission before hunting city park sandboxes. So ..... what answers did you expect ? No .... you can't even step off the sidewalk.

This particular OP is clearly talking about privately owned land, and privately owned property requires permission in order to avoid engaging in trespassing and stealing what the owner of the property does indeed own, whether they are present or not. Just like your yard or mine, I doubt either of us would appreciate some stranger showing up and detecting in our flower beds.

And for the record, I agree with you Tom, when people go asking where there is no need to ask, it can cause problems when some bureaucrat autonomously decides to "ban" some legal activity ...

I wouldn't hit any of them.
I have no idea who owns the vacant lot on the corner. Neighbors tell me it has been a shortcut to the gas station for over 40 years. the grass gets cut at least once a month. If it gets to tall along the trail people driving their lawn mowers to the gas station will cut it. It is the place to go to throw a football or Frisbee. It's the only private property I hunt without permission. I justify it by thinking if the property owner cared he'd put up a sign or around here purple paint signifies no trespassing. It's still trespassing, but I think a property owner does have some responsibility in a case like this where it's been treated like a park for so long to post signs if they don't want people there.

Nice confession. You are a prosecutor's dream.

:laughing:

Corporation or private citizen I would always try and find someone to talk to about getting permission but that's just me. Someone out there owns the property and trespassing when caught has consequences. There may be a property caretaker or manager you could reach out to.

I learned that years ago...but then again... I was night hunting (deer) at 3AM in the morning... :laughing::laughing:

"Trespassing" is a strange and funny subject, for all wanderers on this Planet... its situational....From Ants to Elephants, even Most Animals including Humans have a penchant for defending their perceived 'territory' if they can...Even Penguins on Antarctica have their defined nesting territory as long as they can defend it...

A trespassing Human Free Ranger just has to be good at it is all, in and out with no witnesses or leaving a trace...And this takes some fortitude, timing and practice....Some people are just no good at it and ruin it for the rest of us! like that one post a few months ago about the guy who had 17 trespassing charges! What an idiot!

I bet Genghis Khan could tell us some stories, I bet Chief Joseph never gave one thought about it either when he crossed the 'border' into Canada...Or Chris Columbus, or DeSoto...Or Patton even! So detecting a corner cut across lot is the least you can do in honor of these brave trespassers of yore...Historically speaking, the evidence is: You get good at it, and the World is yours to enjoy!:laughing:

Mud-puppy :laughing::lol: Genghis Khan...:lol:

Right? That guy went about anywhere he pleased without ONCE asking for permission!! Crossed 7 time zones on horseback! Not that he knew what a time zone was! Although, to be a good trespasser nowadays, as with most things in Life, humor included, as Henny Youngman stated, its all about Timing!:laughing:

Nothing wrong with trespassing as a concept...Depending on who you ask, its just the way it is on this Planet...I got Squirrels out back in the bird feeder right now! Damn! They know better, but Can I enforce? Sure, if I wanted to escalate the situation I guess..But I dont...I might need a nice plump squirrel someday is my reasoning...Plus, I bet if you asked the squirrels, they would say this is THEIR property, and they have been here long before I showed up....which is true...

I'm sure these are the thoughts Assad in Syria is struggling with, or Putin trying to hold Crimea...Or the Chinese with their islands they 'think' they own....and yet here we are, talking about hunting for pennies!!:laughing:

I guess to an Ant its a big deal...once a guy says 'the hell with it', things become much simpler...Who is judging the Elephant? Oh yeah...Ants! :laughing:

Last edited:
I'm not stealing from Walmart or digging up anyone's yard. I said I was taking the penny back.

The power company and gas company CEO probably only know the property they own as a spot on a map somewhere. It would probably be impossible to contact them.

The dollar store property, was a construction site. The construction workers and the locals were very interested in what I'd found. Which wasn't much, mostly newer clad. I couldn't see chasing down the owner of this clad which would have destined to be covered with an asphalt parking lot.

Meant no harm by this post. Don't know what I expected. Maybe that someone else had the same experience or to let others.

If i can figure out how to delete the original post i will delete it so as not to be a bad influence.

No Worries at all here Plinker! This topic comes up at LEAST once per month and is always hilarious! Should foster deeper thought about such things, So thank you! Good Job! Swing away as you wish!:laughing:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom