what in the world is this?

Bounder

This is one of the strangest things I have ever dug up in my yard. It was in soil that is dry and almost like sand so I can't guess the vintage.

Attachments

• 0716181441.jpg
    0716181441.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 517
  • 0716181442.jpg
    0716181442.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 516
Just looks like part of a lockable door knob to me. I guess I should say the outside part where the key goes, lol. The part that you turn with your hand seems to be missing, but that looks very much like a keyhole in the center.

I don't think its a part of anything. The penny shows the size of it and you're right about that being a keyhole. I believe turning the key would cause the ball to come in half, just don't see the purpose.

Identified. I showed it to some old guys at the local coffee klatch and one of them knew what it was. He said a key would take it in half then you take a lug nut off a car wheel and put the ball half on it. You put the lug nut on and tighten it then put the locking part back on & lock it . It makes the wheel theftproof. Makes sense to me, wish I had a key for it.

It's a door knob. Older cheapy.

Look inside and it's basically hollow.

No way you'll tighten a lug nut with that......

I have serious doubts on the "wheel lock" theory.

OP, simple question....when you look through the hole in the back, do you see any latching/linkage as to prove the lock even actually does anything?

It's a door knob. Older cheapy.

Look inside and it's basically hollow.

No way you'll tighten a lug nut with that......

They never said you tighten the lug nut with this. You unlock the "door nob" and it comes in half, before you tighten the lug nut, you place the back half on the stud then use the lug wrench to tighten the nut, then lock the other half over it. Although it may be a good deterrent, I would think that it may throw the wheel out of balance.

I have a model A ford and I took a wheel nut off to see if the ball would fit the stud and it does. The nut is too big to go through the hole. If you put the ball over the stud and tighten the nut down in it, then the locking part could be put on. I don't have a key for it but I would be concerned about imbalance even though cruise of the A is only 50mph.

Back
Top Bottom