Stacking Precious Metal

diggin4clad

Elite Member
Every couple of months I attend a coin show for the purpose of buying some precious metal. This month I added a pair of Canadian Maple Leaf Coins.....A one ounce and a one and a half ounce piece. Additionally I bought a 1912 Austrian 10 Corona gold coin.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,008
do you get a better deal at coin shows than online stores like ebay?
Absolutely......Ebay prices are way higher than what you pay at a coin show. That said, you still have to compare prices from one dealer to the next for the best deal. The gold coin cost me $137.....way lower than the prices on Ebay for the same coin.

You can get some really good deals on Ebay when they offer Ebay bucks back. At that point, you can grab gold and silver below Melt

You can get some really good deals on Ebay when they offer Ebay bucks back. At that point, you can grab gold and silver below Melt

That may be ending, :frustrated: the last offer I got exempted coins from the offer. They formerly exempted only bullion.
You could get up to $100 discount per item. :money:

D4C what about dealing with a place like Apmex. I do a lot of business with them. Good or bad.... your thoughts;):yes:

D4C what about dealing with a place like Apmex. I do a lot of business with them. Good or bad.... your thoughts;):yes:

I've never dealt with APMEX but have on occasion bought a few things from JM Bullion. They have pretty much the same items and prices as Apmex. That said, the prices I get at coin shows are still better than either of them. The only reason I buy a few things from JMB is they have some items that I like that aren't available at the show. At the show I can see what I'm buying, it's paid for in cash, and I get it immediately. At this past show where I bought the maple leaf coins and Austrian gold piece I also bought some 90% US silver coins at 11.9 times face value. I'm pretty sure Apmex's price is higher than that as is JMB's price which as of this moment is 12.29 times face.

Nice trading there D4C! I've been doing a bit myself..Walker and BF halfs, Peace and Morgans, silver 1oz and 1 troy ozers...those big 1oz rounds that look exactly like a Merc dime are cool...and the ones that look like a big buff nickel are as well!!

Yep..face to face at coin shows or at a Coin Club meeting...a guy can dicker a bit and maybe catch somebody willing to do a good deal or a trade...Its a lot of fun and a good way to keep inspired for cladding... knowing a few totlots or a couple hours out in any old park can deliver enough clad for a silver half....

Right at the end of the Show is a good time to whip out the cash and do a deal....until then, a guy can walk around and eye hunt and chit chat for the right person to do the deal with...These guys paid to be there, they have to set up and haul all their gear, which of course is heavy as hell....sometimes you can offer to help them tear down and haul out to their vehicle and get a real good deal on the coins you want to buy...

They know they gotta go, Shows closing....some of them paid little or nothing for their inventory when Silver/Gold was really low a few years back....so hey...Timing!

Attachments

• gold coin.jpg
    gold coin.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 770
  • coin group1.jpg
    coin group1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 748
  • coin show.jpg
    coin show.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 751
Last edited:
Nice pieces for the stack!

I've bought from Provident now and then, lately I bought 90% silver Kennedys from them for 12.6 x face to the door, free shipping. My LCS was 11.5 x for junk last week, he didn't have much tho.

I like the shows 'cause it's cash/no trail...although most dealers here are higher in price than the online vendors on average.

I've never dealt with APMEX but have on occasion bought a few things from JM Bullion. They have pretty much the same items and prices as Apmex. That said, the prices I get at coin shows are still better than either of them. The only reason I buy a few things from JMB is they have some items that I like that aren't available at the show. At the show I can see what I'm buying, it's paid for in cash, and I get it immediately. At this past show where I bought the maple leaf coins and Austrian gold piece I also bought some 90% US silver coins at 11.9 times face value. I'm pretty sure Apmex's price is higher than that as is JMB's price which as of this moment is 12.29 times face.
I would love to go to some coin shows but I would have to drive almost two hundred miles down to the Detroit/Flint area.

I would love to go to some coin shows but I would have to drive almost two hundred miles down to the Detroit/Flint area.
Yeah, that would definitely be a long drive and the cost of gas alone would add to your cost. The show I usually attend is 40 miles from home which is within reason. This past Sunday's show was only 20 miles from home.

Nice pieces for the stack!

I've bought from Provident now and then, lately I bought 90% silver Kennedys from them for 12.6 x face to the door, free shipping. My LCS was 11.5 x for junk last week, he didn't have much tho.

I like the shows 'cause it's cash/no trail...although most dealers here are higher in price than the online vendors on average.
At the shows I attend the prices are LOWER than online. I agree with you about the shows being "CASH,no trail. Ditto for when you sell. In addition to the pices I posted I bought some 90% junk silver for 11.9 x face.

Nice trading there D4C! I've been doing a bit myself..Walker and BF halfs, Peace and Morgans, silver 1oz and 1 troy ozers...those big 1oz rounds that look exactly like a Merc dime are cool...and the ones that look like a big buff nickel are as well!!

Yep..face to face at coin shows or at a Coin Club meeting...a guy can dicker a bit and maybe catch somebody willing to do a good deal or a trade...Its a lot of fun and a good way to keep inspired for cladding... knowing a few totlots or a couple hours out in any old park can deliver enough clad for a silver half....

Right at the end of the Show is a good time to whip out the cash and do a deal....until then, a guy can walk around and eye hunt and chit chat for the right person to do the deal with...These guys paid to be there, they have to set up and haul all their gear, which of course is heavy as hell....sometimes you can offer to help them tear down and haul out to their vehicle and get a real good deal on the coins you want to buy...

They know they gotta go, Shows closing....some of them paid little or nothing for their inventory when Silver/Gold was really low a few years back....so hey...Timing!
I pretty much do my dealing with the same guy every time because his prices are the lowest. And I'm in total agreement with you about totlots and clad. Every year I cash in all my clad and buy silver and gold with it in addition to what I buy with my monthly "bullion allowance". The dimes in the photo were paid for with my clad from 2015

Attachments

• IMGP0682.jpg
    IMGP0682.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 830
diggin4clad,

I have to ask why you purchased dimes instead of halves or dollars?

Ray

The dimes are usually sold for a bit less than halves. Silver dollars like Morgans or Peace Dollars are an entirely different price structure.....something like 20 times face.

diggin4clad,

I have to ask why you purchased dimes instead of halves or dollars?

Ray

I buy a lot of junk coin bags with a lot of dimes for another reason as well. When we get to the point of bartering silver/gold for goods and services, it's easy to pay for a couple loaves of bread or gallons of water with a dime or two than trying to cut a chunk off a fat morgan! :aok: Everyone knows exactly how much silver is in every piece that way.

I buy a lot of junk coin bags with a lot of dimes for another reason as well. When we get to the point of bartering silver/gold for goods and services, it's easy to pay for a couple loaves of bread or gallons of water with a dime or two than trying to cut a chunk off a fat morgan! :aok: Everyone knows exactly how much silver is in every piece that way.

I agree with you but if we ever face an economy like that, you'll be better off with guns, ammo and canned goods. Although, I too like having all the denominations for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom