New to Forum/Looking for a detector

rsess

First Backqround....I used to do a lot of metal detecting and i stayed at it for about eight years. Most of my detecting was done on the beach. I lived close to Ft. Lauderdale beach and i was a diver. I had an excalibur. I found the excal to be too heavy for beach hunting. However, it performed well in both water and land. I decided to get a beach detector that was lighter and picked up a used Tesoro land shark. When it was working it could hunt well but I ended up getting rid of it and purchased a Tesoro Tiger Shark. It worked for about two weeks and developed a glitch. I sent it back and traded up to a Minelab Explorer. The Explorer was an excellent detector. However, I didn't want to dig two feet for just a dime. I don't mind digging deep, I just want to make sure there is something there worth my time. I moved up North and wasn't into land detecting so I sold all my detectors. Then a couple of years ago I purchased a Whites Prizm. It is a good little detector and Ive been using it a lot with great success. Since Im back in the ft Lauderdale area, I want to get a good beach detector. However, I've also been doing land hunting with my prism and plan to use my new detector for that also. Several people have recommend the Garrett AT Pro.

These are my concerns: Weight- I'm thinking around 2.5 lbs
Headphones- I would like them to be detachable or none a
at all.(they are annoying after an hour. Plug in and out
would be great)
Waterproof- Up to 15 feet or 20 feet (Just wading in to
waist, no diving)
Depth Gauge - Nice to know if the target is deep. Shovel
or scoop)
Data on one screen- I hate the need to scroll down to
another screen to hit an option that should have been on
the first page.

In addition, sometimes while on the beach, I would like to adjust the discriminator and hunt for only large objects such as watches, bracelets, etc. I resort to this mode when I get tired of digging coins. Then i go deeper and slow my walk and swing.

Please give me your thoughts based on the above. I would like to keep the cost around 600 to 1000.

ATPro is not a great salt machine. will work great on the dry sand, not so well in the wet or in the saltwater for that matter. it is fantastic for fresh water. what is your budget? you will need a waterproof multi frequency machine.

Like Noel said the AT Pro is not a great saltwater machine, it can have real stability issues.

In my opinion the best machine for around saltwater is the Excalibur II but you don't get the information display like you are wanting.

With the Excal II you are forced to learn to ID targets through its tones in both what type of target it is and to an extent it's size.

And I am not leading you towards the Excal since I am selling mine on the forums because it doesn't have the features your looking for.

I just chimed in because having owned an AT Pro and still own an Excal II i could just weigh in. Honestly the AT Pro really fits the bill your asking for other then being a great saltwater machine.

In your case

I would go for the Ctx3030, but only good for 10 ft in water , and waterproof headphones extra, very good on land also , sell your other machine, you would have been fine keeping your Excalibur you say they are heavy lol its all in how you set them up, very heavy with the S rod, but not heavier than a Cz21, waterproof machines are not light, the other options are , no disc Whites Surf Pi DF, and last Whites is coming out with 3 new machines, you could wait to see what they are, before making your decision, just stick it out with your Whites for a tad, happy hunting Earl

Back
Top Bottom