Group on facebook ?

Siggi Palma

Forum Supporter
Bad idea or a good one ?

Some clubs in the us have groups on facebook why not the FMDF ?

Siggi

I think it would be a great idea. Perfect for informing and promoting our hobby in the proper manner. Just my 2 cents:D

Not sure. I guess Facebook has changed alot over the years. When I first tried to sign up there to check it out, the form wouldn't go through, and then I got a screen that said, "Sorry but you need to belong to a college/university to join."

So... I haven't been back to their site since.

What would be the benefits of joining Facebook?

I think that making a group on facebook would help spread the word of the site. And members could be friends over there.

What would be the benefits of joining Facebook?

Well, Facebook is the most popular social networking site today. If you joined a group on there, such as the "friendly metal detectorist group", then all your "friends" would see that. It would spread the word about this site, and about detecting and who is involved.

It would have good and bad aspects.

I don't do Facebook for two reasons.

I don't have the time.

I can't see the point of it.

I don't do Facebook for two reasons.

I don't have the time.

I can't see the point of it.

I agree. Especially #2.

I'm also not a big fan of promoting the hobby. If people find their way to it, great, but why promote it? The less people detecting the better.

My 2 cents.

I doubt that people would storm the hobby by one group on facebook actually there are many of them allready on facebook. Store/clubs/ and fans of MDing. What I would think would be good is if there are people that are allready detecting they would maby take a look at the forums trough a facebook group. As stated here this is the biggest social network around today. But as states as well it there is a plus and minus to all things in life.

Everyone makes some good points. So is this group thing where anyone can join and they make comments or something like that?

By me just adding some videos to youtube, some of the comments were so outrageous, I finally had to lock the comments.

Even my youtube account is hard to maintain. :roll:

I think Face book is also a "generational" thing. My youngest (28) is all over it, but for me I don't get the attraction?!?

I would be a little worried that suddenly members would start posting over there rather than here. Sorta watering down the forum...ya know.

Facebook is indexed by the search engines an enormous amount, it would only help the site here to have a link from there to here. So if say who ever had an account here put the link here on their page it would increase the presense of the link and then in turn bring the rankings here up. IT's called SEO, it has to deal with search engines and how they look at a site, I do it for all of my customers, and my web clients. I build websites for a living and not a bad living, but latley work as been really bad, the economy has just put a hurt in my business.

I enjoy facebook, but I only use it to keep in touch with family and friends that live too far away to visit often. I don't get the point of having 3000 friends that i don't really know, but I am not great at "networking" either. I would use Facebook more often if I did not spend so much time on this other great detecting site (FMDF) ... Just kidding of course!!

My wife and her friends spend lots of time on Facebook playing games and such... not for me. I would rather swing a detector....

Facebook, Twitter, Myspace,:unsure:, I do my social networking when I meet someone face to face, hey lets start a website where you post friends you met "Face to Face":lol2:, no offense meant to those that understand this stuff, I uhhh :fear: am a cyber introvert, but really, wouldn't make a difference to me since I never visit or use that stuff, I mean, I just wrote an actual hand written letter and even sent it via U.S postal service:shock:, and I agree, so much MDing, so little time. I am not against it either, gotta love technology and change.

Back
Top Bottom