• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Any input on this makers mark? EDIT

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
Found a ring today in the freshwater, looks old. It is heavily tarnished so I suspect it has a thick gold shell on it, it passes as 14k. I feel solid 14k probably would have been alot easier to get clean. A brief google search showed Ostby and Barton, but I dont think that is accurate. Thanks in advance!
EDIT
After more cleaning last night, I noticed a small spot on the edge of the ring that was starting to peel back. So looks like it has a heavy 14k shell on it. On to the next! :pirate2:

Attachments

• 20220816_155257.jpg
    20220816_155257.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
14k can tarnish badly in freshwater with algae and high iron. I would suspect it is solid 14k as long as it isn't flaking. Congrats!

Steve

14k can tarnish badly in freshwater with algae and high iron. I would suspect it is solid 14k as long as it isn't flaking. Congrats!

Steve

I don't see any flaking or red spots where the plating is missing. Ive found a few gold rings that were tarnished in the past, I dont ever remember it being this hard to get them clean, but I suppose it's possible. The weight feels off to me, it rang up as a 23 on the equinox out of the water, seemed a little high for my liking. Thanks for looking!

I think Ostby & Barton is correct. Check out these links:

https://treasurenet.com/threads/hallmark-makers-mark-id.659325/ (see third post on this thread)

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/earliest-hallmark-mens-gothic-ostby-1750821966 (this ring has the same hallmark, just eagle facing the other way)

It is certainly a possibility. This ring also has a heavy shell. After some more cleaning, it is starting to peel away in one spot on the edge. Hoping the next one is solid! Thank you for your time once again Chroma!

I don't see any flaking or red spots where the plating is missing. Ive found a few gold rings that were tarnished in the past, I dont ever remember it being this hard to get them clean, but I suppose it's possible. The weight feels off to me, it rang up as a 23 on the equinox out of the water, seemed a little high for my liking. Thanks for looking!

Could be rolled gold over silver... could be... I have found old rings marked good then found out they were gold over silver.

Could be rolled gold over silver... could be... I have found old rings marked good then found out they were gold over silver.

I think your right, it looks silver underneath, would explain why the numbers were so high too. Definitely a white metal underneath, so that rules out brass...

I think your right, it looks silver underneath, would explain why the numbers were so high too. Definitely a white metal underneath, so that rules out brass...

This ring was gold over silver...

Attachments

• user32_pic72874_1477755398.jpg
    user32_pic72874_1477755398.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 125
Back
Top Bottom