Low water in reservoir

Jeepfreak81

Near where I live is a large hydro dam and in the spring they always let a large amount of the water out. However, the dam was sold last year and is owned by a new company. I just visited a popular boat launch and swim area on the reservoir. In my 36 years of life this is easily the lowest I've ever seen the water. It was rainy and foggy so I didn't stay long. I did find a penny near the boat launch and a clad dime about 50 yards away. I'm planning to go back tomorrow. Where would you guys look? Near the boat launch, the island where there are picnic tables, out the m the open? Also on the other side is another launch with a dock, it's a bit more popular but very Rocky. Here's a few pictures just for fun.
ef6c623162afd354fd1285affaa099da.jpg
a73c8fcbb3161c63c69a19791f29d9f4.jpg
ce276dc4b4509280745e52e9426131b8.jpg
b43a86bb873d830a5e225941f6e43b01.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

everywhere!!!!!
Just Kidding (not really) but is there a swimming area? that would be my 1st place, then by the picnic areas, then the boat launch.

everywhere!!!!!
Just Kidding (not really) but is there a swimming area? that would be my 1st place, then by the picnic areas, then the boat launch.

I know, I'd love to have enough time to hunt all over, but they'll start letting it fill back up again pretty soon. At that particular area most people hang out and swim at the boat launch or they swim out to the islands and swim. What you see in the pictures is a very small part of the reservoir. 2 towns were flooded when the dam was built. I figure most anything old will be buried under lots and lots of sand and silt brought in from the river. But I don't know much about this sort of thing, just my uneducated opinion.

I might go try the other boat launch with the dock, people love to swim there. It's very rocky so the digging won't be fun, but could pay off. I plan to do an hour hunt after work tomorrow night if the rain holds off.

Is there a "party cove" where the boats tie up to party? That's where I have lost the most stuff. If it's dry it might be worth a look.

I would check the swimming areas and any picnic areas if there are such things. If there was a stand to buy food & drinks, I 'd check that area also. Parking areas also, I usually find coins here in parking area fields.

Many great suggestions here, but I would also add the areas where you've seen people fishing from the shore over the years. You're bound to find coins, fishing gear and pocket knives in these areas.

After reading some of the other topic posts and viewing your photos, I've realized how spoiled I am living in NW Florida. I go out detecting 3 or 4 times a week. It's truly heart breaking to learn there are so many people who are stuck inside all winter and are still waiting for the ground to thaw. Yikes!

Good suggestion about the fishing spots. I'll likely go back later to check those areas, I wanna focus on areas that are normally under water first. I wonder if it's worth checking the swim spots out on the islands. I mean I used to swim out there but never carried stuff with me. Could be some jewelry I suppose.

Yeah...hit all those normally under water areas fast and hard!...you will know when you are in the right place...the finds will tell you if you let them, every site has a story to tell about what went on there..be thinking gold though.....report back please!

If you have to swim out to the Islands, people could have lost jewelry anywhere along the way out. Unless they used a boat to get to that area and then dove in to swim, I do not think these areas would be as good as around the boat launch area where people are swimming.

Ray

Yeah...hit all those normally under water areas fast and hard!...you will know when you are in the right place...the finds will tell you if you let them, every site has a story to tell about what went on there..be thinking gold though.....report back please!

Hoping to go after work today, if the rain holds of or is at least not too bad.

If you have to swim out to the Islands, people could have lost jewelry anywhere along the way out. Unless they used a boat to get to that area and then dove in to swim, I do not think these areas would be as good as around the boat launch area where people are swimming.

Ray

I'm actually thinking tonight on the way home I might go to the other side where there's a dock, lots of people swim there. I didn't take a picture of that area, no islands or anything, just the dock and wide open water. It's pretty rocky with crushed stone and what not but probably worth checking out.

So I only got about 40 minutes of hunting in but I plan to go back. I decided when I got there to go away from the dock to a large Boulder that I know is a popular swimming spot. Everything in the picture was found near that spot. Ironically I had found another dime and somehow lost it.

Might try to go back again tomorrow or this weekend for a longer hunt.
2821d6c830c3fb8496747b4434927ef3.jpg
5db2ea0c2ddf42821d3640b467c4fa9c.jpg
b3aea25466ede54cabde883f36203904.jpg

Back
Top Bottom