What’s the scoop?

Fishtanked363

Greetings and salutations. I am looking for information from those who use a sand scoop. Which are your favorites and what should I look for. Which brand is best, and what size works best. What size holes, and thickness of material. I’m looking for a good sturdy one that will take abuse and last forever. Thanks

Greetings and salutations. I am looking for information from those who use a sand scoop. Which are your favorites and what should I look for. Which brand is best, and what size works best. What size holes, and thickness of material. I’m looking for a good sturdy one that will take abuse and last forever. Thanks
Are you talking dry sand or wet sand and water hunting? That's what separates the men form the boy's. For wet sand and the water I have a Stealth and I love it. Stavr's are also another favorite here. Xtreme are also mentioned along with RTG. I have another non-name scoop for the dry sand that is smaller. The stresses we put on them in the wet sand and water are great. Do not go cheap on your scoop. Go with one of the reputable names mentioned.

Are you talking dry sand or wet sand and water hunting? That's what separates the men form the boy's. For wet sand and the water I have a Stealth and I love it. Stavr's are also another favorite here. Xtreme are also mentioned along with RTG. I have another non-name scoop for the dry sand that is smaller. The stresses we put on them in the wet sand and water are great. Do not go cheap on your scoop. Go with one of the reputable names mentioned.

Lol.. you want to go into more detail on what separates the men from the boys ?

Can't go wrong with Sunspot/stealth, Stavr, or Extreme. But the scoop style really depends on where you are hunting. An angular, pointed design works great when managing between rocks or slicing through sea weed. A rounded design may help in rough surf as the scoop will inevitably slam your legs a time or twelve . The sieve size (holes) should be considered too. Small holes can hold tiny objects but be hard to sift out all of the sand. Large holes make sifting sand a breeze and work well with gravel, rock, coquina, or beaches with significant amounts of sea shells, but tiny objects (like earings) may pass through the holes.

Size of scoop. ...smaller size is ideal if you want to break it down to suite case size. If you don't need it for travel, I prefer at least 8" wide.

Ergonomics. The scoop isn't the only weight factor. The handle material can weigh a significant amount and cause fatigue. A carbon fiber handle is one of the lightest and strongest types available.

I bought and fabricated dozens of scoops but my Sunspot / Stealth is my fav. It is also one of the only models to never bend or break. I had two RTG aluminum scoops that bent supports and broke welds; one RTG sstl that broke a weld, and some cheap sstl eBay scoops that bent and broke welds. Of course all were repaired, but at a cost. Figure $60 for a muffler or machine shop to add some supports and reweld, but by the time you factor a ruined trip because of the break, the expense of making the repair, etc.... you could have bought a quality scoop from the get-go.

Look at what you encounter in dynamic seas vs. hunting static land.
Clearly this is the Men vs. the boys :cool3: :lol:

Attachments

• surf.jpg
    surf.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 351
  • surf land.jpg
    surf land.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
Look at what you encounter at sea vs. the scoop used on land.

That's funny ! You're diggin yourself a deep hole on this one ! I get your point. Except that the water shot is totally staged or on purpose. Many times I've had rogue waves take me down like this. But nobody I know of willingly tries to hunt like this pic. Notice set waves rolling in. You just can't detect that for any amount of time.
Maybe the dry sand guy used to hunt the water. Because of age , medical condition , etc. He can't. Could be a rookie learning how to detect ( notice scoop ).
Again it's funny and I know what your saying. But the truth in these 2 pics is the dry sander is getting gold !
That's my definition of what separates the men from the boys : those who find gold , and those who don't. The haves and the have nots.

I was really referring only to scoops but since my analogy took another turn I would like to be politically correct here and add this pic below of one of our esteemed huntresses....
Look at what you encounter in dynamic seas vs. hunting static land.

Or women vs. girls? :lol:

Attachments

• WAVE.jpg
    WAVE.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 341
  • Kidz-Lane-Metal-Detector-Perfect-For-Treasure-Hunts-Bella-on-beach.jpg
    Kidz-Lane-Metal-Detector-Perfect-For-Treasure-Hunts-Bella-on-beach.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 335
I was really referring only to scoops but since my analogy took another turn I would like to be politically correct here and add this pic below of one of our esteemed huntresses....

It's getting better ! Haha.. yeah I saw that before. I think she's trying to get out past the waves. That's another story. But the guy with the waves rolling in ? Not happening.
Again , the little girl is taking down big scores !

It's getting better ! Haha.. yeah I saw that before. I think she's trying to get out past the waves. That's another story. But the guy with the waves rolling in ? Not happening.
Again , the little girl is taking down big scores !

ha ha ha, yeah, is that B...er uh, Kapi?

KOB, I swear, those are the every-day waves we get here in North Florida. If you want to water hunt, that is what you contend with... along with crazy riptides, sharks, rays, gators, and the occasional bear. Oh, and add murky, turbid water. Bleh. I look forward to moving further south. :cool3:

I was thinking mostly dry sand, but I want a decent one for those days when I Man Up. I’m in Michigan, so not much ocean close by. I bring the detector on vacations. I know there are many brand names, I was looking for the better ones that you guys use. Thanks for your inputs, and it’s good to see people still have a sense of humor.

I was thinking mostly dry sand, but I want a decent one for those days when I Man Up. I’m in Michigan, so not much ocean close by. I bring the detector on vacations. I know there are many brand names, I was looking for the better ones that you guys use. Thanks for your inputs, and it’s good to see people still have a sense of humor.

Dude, I'm born and raised Detroiter... MI is where it's at! No salt, no sharks, no alligators. Just people that party hard for two-months straight! :lol:

Sunspot / Stealth is locally made in Warren and has a lifetime warranty. Mentioned the forum and you'll get a small discount. One of the best scoops around!

http://www.stealthscoop.com/

ha ha ha, yeah, is that B...er uh, Kapi?

KOB, I swear, those are the every-day waves we get here in North Florida. If you want to water hunt, that is what you contend with... along with crazy riptides, sharks, rays, gators, and the occasional bear. Oh, and add murky, turbid water. Bleh. I look forward to moving further south. :cool3:

Very familiar with that. Had a house in Miami.

Yep!!!

Too bad you got on here only recently. If you're ever back let's meet up. I'll lead you to lots of Felix pennies! :lol:

Thanks Felix. It was more of a rental property. But I would go out and stay for a few months each year. I finally had to come to terms that I'm a wimp when it comes to humidity. And rentals can be a pain. If your ever in So.Cal...

You are in Marysville????? I am in Port Huron. I have two Stealth 900 series scoops. Both with carbon fiber handles and I have a travel carbon fiber handle for one. Look me up on Facebook #scubadetector. I will be glad to let you borrow a scoop.

If you want to see them and try one absolutely no problem. Trouble is there is nothing to find in this area.

Back
Top Bottom