Portable Diamond Testers

V-Bottom

I picked up the Diamond Selector ii and a jewelry scale today. From the video's I have watched this tester is ranked the cheapest!! The other 2 are about $100 + and the other $200+. Anyone use the cheaper one and what do you think about it? I did test it on the diamond chips on my wedding ring and the indicator went into the RED. That tells me it works.

I picked up the Diamond Selector ii and a jewelry scale today. From the video's I have watched this tester is ranked the cheapest!! The other 2 are about $100 + and the other $200+. Anyone use the cheaper one and what do you think about it? I did test it on the diamond chips on my wedding ring and the indicator went into the RED. That tells me it works.

I gotta get me one too!

I have that one and it has worked well for me. I have “tested” it on known diamonds and known fakes enough to feel confident in what it says when I find a ring I’m unsure about. Bottom line is if it’s an enormous ring I will take it to a jeweler anyway but it gives me enough confidence to walk into the jewelry shop with a straight face. 😃

This model was about $150 when I bought it, many years ago. No problems but you have to set it up per instructions taking into account the size of the diamond. Mossanite was not around when I purchased my tester and the II will NOT differentiate between a real diamond and a Mossanite artificial stone. This tester only tests for heat transfer, not physical resistance. A real diamond and Mossanite have the same heat transfer characteristics but different physical resistance. For 10X the price you paid you can get a tester that will not only differentiate between diamond and Mossanite but also white sapphire stones.

I picked up the Diamond Selector ii
For 10X the price you paid you can get a tester that will not only differentiate between diamond and Mossanite but also white sapphire stones.

Nice! I also picked up a D/S II. Think it was around $10. It is great at identifying CZs and some simulants that are chemically similar to glass. Mine was tricked by mossanite and another gemstone but, eh, that is fine. Anytime I have a gem I send it in for grading or take it by my jeweler for a proper assessment.

Side note, if you get the 30x, illuminated loop, (looks like a mini microscope) it will really shed light on your finds. With the illumination, you can quickly look at stones and recognize the ones that are glass vs actual gems. You can also read corroded dates on coins and makers marks on jewelry. Again, order from china and you can get these for under $10.

I got one and still trying to find a diamond to test it on !

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I have one of the cheapie diamond tester. I found a very 14k band with a stone that would be about a full carat of diamonds. I tested it and it tested as real. I took it to a jewelry store and the young lady looked at carefully with her loupe and tested it. She declared that it was a diamond

I was in another state and told the lady who was changing the battery that the watch I was wearing was cheap and she said no it wasn't. I then told her I found it detecting and I took the ring in for her to see. Her husband detects,

The jeweler looked at the stones. Tested them and said they test as diamonds. BUT I see things that I do not expect with a diamond. He tested it for mossanite and it tested positive.

I later had another jeweler check the stones and she also said they were mossanite.

There went my fortune right down the drain. If I find a ring that test positive I go to the jewelry shop and have them check.

Yes, they are excellent products. Never had any issues with them. Just be sure to adjust according to the back instructions for size and ambient temp.

Skippy

The inexpensive ones will tell you if a stone is NOT a diamond but not be able to tell you if it IS a diamond.

Back
Top Bottom