Brass (I think) padlock I found at old RR depot

mpgandfun

It was about 6" down.
I've looked it over pretty closely. I can't find a single letter, number, symbol, -anything on it! Anyone able to shed any light on it?

padfront1.jpg

padback1.jpg

It's a switch lock. Most of them are stamped with the name of the RR company on them but not always. Some of them can run $15 - $40. My dad worked for the railroad and had a key ring full of the different keys.

The probable reason you cant find a name on it is that they have a sliding cover that goes over the keyhole and the railroad name was often stamped on them. Google railroad switch locks and you will find images that might help your ID.

Thanks for the info, pescadore. I looked in a book on local history, and the depot was part of small route of the Detroit and Mackinac Railroad. The depot was built in 1905. The railroad was abandoned here on April 6th, 1930.

Credit for this information goes to the author of HALE AND UP THE TRACKS, Jean Bell.

I didn't ask her permission, but if she gets mad, I will smooth it out the next time I see her. -She's my aunt. She's authored/co-authored 2 other books that focus on local history. The old maps and other stuff they have, are great tools to scout areas to dirt fish near me. My copies are signed by the author, of course. :grin:

Here's a lock that I found last year. I thought it was a switch lock. A guy that I met a few months back that retired from the railroad many years ago said that it look like a maintenance lock, he still had this keyring full of keys and one worked. The number on the back he said was the date (1927).

Attachments

• lock 007.JPG
    lock 007.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 249
  • lock 005.jpg
    lock 005.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 241
I'm a bit late on this one. Nice find however it's not a rail road lock by design. Your lock was made by Eagle Lock of Terryville Ct. around the early 1900s. It is classified as a 3 lever spring latch to be exact. A very popular padlock in its time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 174
I'm a bit late on this one. Nice find however it's not a rail road lock by design. Your lock was made by Eagle Lock of Terryville Ct. around the early 1900s. It is classified as a 3 lever spring latch to be exact. A very popular padlock in its time.

Thank you for the update and narrowing down the ID on my lock! Its always neat to get the "who & when" on things we pull out of the ground.

Back
Top Bottom