How has your homework paid off?

From my experience talk with the local Police Department about old farms or locations that would be great to MD. That way not only are you given leads but they are aware that you are out there!! You would be surprised the info that some small town PD's will give you.

Local police stopped me a few weeks ago coming out of the woods - thought I was hunting deer. When I showed him my detector we started talking - he told me about a possible revolutionary war campsite. Waiting for the snow to clear to hit the spot.

I have pretty much hunted the same way off and on for 40 years, way more off than on and can see I definitely going to have to change to find anything worth while.

I've had great success by doing my homework. Below are just some of the finds that have resulted from the research. I use old maps online from various sites. I'm also a Realtor and have access to online tax records where I can search a town using the year built of the homes as a criteria. I've found some great sites this way. If a house happens to be listed for sale I'll contact the listing agent in order to obtain permission to detect. I've had some success this way. Not all agents are willing to ask the owner for permission.

ef5ef24d-78fb-4637-9837-b35f59fc41f4.jpg

20140816_080710LCobversereduced.jpg

a7cdc9b5-54a3-4895-b96f-3c1e2ce2c540.jpg

20140617_074224reduced.jpg

20140608_1854191812artillerybuttonreduced.jpg

20140604_210534resize.jpg

Aug13obversecopper.jpg

research would pay off more for me if i could drive. however, at one spot about a mile from my house, which i bike to, i found my first mercury dime. i found the place through research.

Donney get yourself a spiral notebook for a buck and take some good notes with descriptions and clues from your research. I do this all winter.

Then when you can drive you can go down your list and stroll into your new areas like a boss who has already been there. :cool:

Good hunting my man, I wish I had discovered this wonderful obsession when I was your age. :grin:

Donney get yourself a spiral notebook for a buck and take some good notes with descriptions and clues from your research. I do this all winter.

Then when you can drive you can go down your list and stroll into your new areas like a boss who has already been there. :cool:

Good hunting my man, I wish I had discovered this wonderful obsession when I was your age. :grin:

Thanks man. Will do. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom