Looking for the Placer/Lode Claim Master

tarrx3

I am trying to find out how to to simply understand the process of getting a claim. That is probably asking a lot.:D

More specifically there are a bunch of claims in my area that have been closed since the 80's and some even earlier then that. Is it possible to file to take over an old closed claim using the same info from the previous claim?

There is a mine in the hills south of me (one of several) and both the placer and lode claims for that site are closed since 1987. I know that people are going up to that area and I would love to get the claims active under me but every time I look at the paperwork my head spins.

Any help on getting this figured out would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link..

Here is a link to Arizona forms and the BLM offices. http://www.arizonagoldadventures.com/id29.html

There are several steps to filing a claim, and all must be followed to the letter. Yes, there is a strong possibility of opening closed claims, just takes research and rediscovery.

Filing a mining claim isn't hard, just has to be done correctly. Your claim has to be registered with the BLM -AND- the County! Do not use a third party/service to file your claim! Too much Fraud!!!

You can pick up the guides at the BLM office, but do not eexpect them to teach, guide, or help you in any way. Good Luck! :cool:

I am trying to find out how to to simply understand the process of getting a claim. That is probably asking a lot.:D

More specifically there are a bunch of claims in my area that have been closed since the 80's and some even earlier then that. Is it possible to file to take over an old closed claim using the same info from the previous claim?

There is a mine in the hills south of me (one of several) and both the placer and lode claims for that site are closed since 1987. I know that people are going up to that area and I would love to get the claims active under me but every time I look at the paperwork my head spins.

Any help on getting this figured out would be greatly appreciated.

I think Terry nailed it, it's all about research and following the procedures to the letter.

I know a few people that have tried it, one finished (finally go his) and the others lost interest.

Be thorough and patient.

Claims have specific sizes also and must have a discovery point...the site where mineralization was found to exist. And a survey around that point, usually done by a licensed surveyor.

To start with you must find out if the existing claims are active...Just because they APPEAR abandoned means nothing. You must also find out what Government agency controls the land where you wish to locate a claim. Then you will have someone to talk to and from which you can obtain the information necessary for you to follow to file one properly. In my state, claim forms may be obtained from the USDA Forest Service, BLM or other governmental agencies. Or leases or contracts from the same folks or US Corps of Engineers.

Get GPS readings of the claim location or plot the site on a map and take to the County Courthouse of the county where the claim is to be located. They will have a claims book and can look up for you to see if it is active and when it was last filed. Once you know the site and governmental body involved, you can approach them for the proper forms. Is is a detailed process and involves some type of improvement on an annual basis, i.e., you have to spend money on it annually or you will lose it. I think the minimum is $100 annually. That does not necessarily mean you have to hire someone and dig on it, but may mean you get a geologist to make a preliminary assessment one year and a detailed assessment the next. Ask for suggestions as to types of approved improvements. You cannot do the work yourself, you actually have to have a receipt from someone you hired for their work.

Best of luck!

Just wondering also....what are the claims for? Gold? Silver? Quartz crystal? Building stone? Quartz crystal can no longer be claimed but must go through a public auction as a contract item like building stone, crushed stone, etc.

Just wondering also....what are the claims for? Gold? Silver? Quartz crystal? Building stone? Quartz crystal can no longer be claimed but must go through a public auction as a contract item like building stone, crushed stone, etc.

The primary is gold but area is also known to produce silver and copper.

I am going to head up there this weekend and do some searching around. Does anyone here go into mines? I have never ventured into a mine before are there any precautions that I need to take? Do I need to worry about gas pockets? Snakes? Bears? OH MY!

Also is there a minimum size for a discovery in Arizona? Do lode and placer need to be filed separately?

Go to the BLM site or go to a BLM field office and start reading up on how it works before you start looking, the rules may even vary from State to State.

As far as gas pockets, are you going underground? You should never venture into an abandoned mine, or the tailings either (chemical hazzards), as far as snakes, bears, etc...you will know if you see them, sometimes too late.

Don't ever go alone!

Do your research, stay safe and out of trouble with the Law (local/State/Federal).

Better safe than sorry.

As far as gas pockets, are you going underground?

I have been contemplating it. There are several abandoned mines in the mountains around where I live that have yet to be closed up by BLM. That is why I am thinking it poses a good opportunity to file a claim before some of these are gone forever.

I have been contemplating it. There are several abandoned mines in the mountains around where I live that have yet to be closed up by BLM. That is why I am thinking it poses a good opportunity to file a claim before some of these are gone forever.

If they are on the list for remediation or closure, they probably will not let you file a claim.

Just be smart and safe!

We don't want to read about you as another abandoned mine injury or death.

always tell someone where you are going exactly. just in case you don't come home, or you don't have cell phone service.

I watched that moving, between a rock and a hard place. that dude cut his arm off to survive...

BTW I loved the book, 10x more then the movie..

Do these claims expire? I live in a town very well know for gold in the 1800's. There are a ton of abandoned mines that I have thought it would be fun to md near (not inside them) just to find old tools and maybe a tiny picker here and there. I just don't want to get shot for wandering around

depends.... if it's a patented claim, they own the land.

If it's a federal mining claim it has to be renewed every year. You have to talk to your county assessor for a claims map. Most claims don't have markers, or the markers may be hard to see if you don't know where they are.

If you go prospecting on a valid claim you are commiting mineral theft which you can be arrested for.

Back
Top Bottom