Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 02-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Elite Member

I have a lot of hobbies and most of them are craft relatedso I make a bunch of things......I decoupage, make business card sculptures(I saw some in a catalog and decided tomake a few for my dad & mom..was suprised how well they turned out), refinish & reupholster furniture found on the curb, sew clothes and quilts( just started this, so not too good at it), draw and paint a little....and experiment in the kitchen (came up with an awesome seasoning for hamburgers and another one for fried chicken).......all of this I do without the tools they say you "HAVE" to have.I use what I've got

I'm also about to try my hand at fused plastics.my husband says I need a garage for all my things....I think a warehouse would be better

And, I'm sure when I get enough junk things collected from MDing I'll make something outta that too

But the best things I've made are my kids one boy and two girls

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:52 AM
Elite Member

Not sure how I missed this great post and a lot of talent you guys have of course I make decals and shirts

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Marcucco View post
I studied sculpture when I finally got around to going to college,
but nothing come of it.
I wasn't cut out to teach and wasn't mainstream enough to hook a good gallery.
I was a carpenter when I went in and a carpenter when I got out.

I have still got an itch I gave to scratch now and again.
Go here:
http://tourinventiana.blogspot.com/
there are also some links in the right hand column to YouTube vids of some earlier stuff.
Wow! That is some interesting art work! I agree that the copper soldiers are very cool! I think jigglevision's time may have come. Ha Ha! Maybe on one of the high-def channels.

Thanks for the link!
-Mike-

Old 02-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Elite Member

Very talented people here... I do not make much.. just fix things mostly. Seems I can fix almost anything that breaks. I do some writing as well, but have not done a book yet. Oh well, it is on the list. RickO

Old 02-23-2010, 06:28 PM

Cool Heres what I build

I build flintlock rifles, no pictures but they are early kentucky rifles, and not from a kit but from scratch. Bob

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Elite Member

SeaBee get us some pics

Old 02-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Elite Member

I make dinner. : ) I also do stained glass, but I don't have any pics right now. I was a quilter for 20 years and even taught a few classes at the community college by me for adult ed. I crochet baby afghans and booties as gifts and made 50 baby hats that were donated to the childrens hospital in Ann Arbor, MI for the neo-natal unit. One winter I made and donated 40 lap-gans to the local nursing home for the residents. I have hung wallpaper professionally for 24 years, so I guess you could say I make pretty rooms. I like to stay busy. I want to make holes in the ground and then fill them up again after extracting a little something for the goodie pouch. Hurry Up Spring!

Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 PM

me and the wife make these, we actualy make the latex moulds and then do the castings.we have roughly about 400 different lines.

just a few examples

Old 02-24-2010, 10:04 AM

Dont know how to do pictures, they are tiger maple long rifles with flint locks and brass furniture, and they shoot very well. Bob

Old 02-24-2010, 11:24 AM

Default Biodiesel

I make biodiesel fuel for my 1978 Mercedes 240D, and 1974 F250 Ford, from used vegitable oil. I also make soap from the Glycerin byproduct.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Owner/Administrator

I'm liking this thread a lot!
Since I was a kid I always enjoyed making or fixing things.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:14 PM

Question Merc. dime ear rings

Some time around november someone posted that he was making ear rings out of merc. dimes. I would like to get in touch with this person to find out how much $ and to see pictures thanks for any help or information. bdu1962

Old 02-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Elite Member

Me, I make mistakes.
Keep posting!
Badger

Old 02-27-2010, 12:22 AM

i've been designing and making kites for a while and have been able to fly em in some really neat places, fun to load them up with lights at night.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:37 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by shakes View post
i've been designing and making kites for a while and have been able to fly em in some really neat places, fun to load them up with lights at night.

The second kite is beautiful...I love the stained glass lk it has when the light is going through it

Old 02-27-2010, 07:46 AM

thank you, i was pretty sick of triangles after that one.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Supporter

I made a tasty pork sandwich from a left over pork butt last nite.
I had some dried tomato and cheese hoagie rolls, toasted the buns, melted mozzarella cheese.
Added some sauteed sweet onion rings, assembled adding some bbq sauce and devoured.
Wife said it was outstanding tasting sandwich.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:54 PM

Smile Some of my stuff

Walnut female carving "Midnight Dance Step"..Last carving before eye operations.. 21 1/2 inches tall, Walnut.. Was used by the Local Art group on their promo cards.. Victoria Wood hull. and me.. Victoria was first gal to run for Prez in the 1800's.Carving is in a clock tower, the Robbins Hunter Museum, Granville. Comes out on the hour. One of three memorials to the gal. An abbey in the UK, a large stone in Homer ,Ohio where she was born, and the one I carved..I think this is one of three working clock towers with figures in Ml, and Ohio? Santa, He is going to a magazine for you guys to carve this Christmas season.. My $90 loon, with a Mastodon Ivory insert. Ivory came from a Fla river bottom, loons migrated there, I put the two together..Loonies are special people and they come to me for their special loons. My customers tell me I don't charge enough, but they are not willing to pay more than I ask..and,, Boring,,,another Santa, this time 54 1/2 inches tall..Started it in the 90's put it in the garage, a gal came in saw it, hauled it out, and I had to finish it for her. That's it ,thanks for looking , cordially Nad

Old 03-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Elite Member

Great carvings. I may have to try that. I haven't carved anything since I did a viking ship as a boy. I've done about everything else though.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Elite Member

You are awesome, Nad!

The "Midnight Dance Step" just blows me away!

Man, what supreme talent we have here. No wonder this is such a great site.

I have to get something you've done. I'd be thrilled even to get your autograph!

Badger

Originally Posted by Nad View post
Walnut female carving "Midnight Dance Step"..Last carving before eye operations.. 21 1/2 inches tall, Walnut.. Was used by the Local Art group on their promo cards.. Victoria Wood hull. and me.. Victoria was first gal to run for Prez in the 1800's.Carving is in a clock tower, the Robbins Hunter Museum, Granville. Comes out on the hour. One of three memorials to the gal. An abbey in the UK, a large stone in Homer ,Ohio where she was born, and the one I carved..I think this is one of three working clock towers with figures in Ml, and Ohio? Santa, He is going to a magazine for you guys to carve this Christmas season.. My $90 loon, with a Mastodon Ivory insert. Ivory came from a Fla river bottom, loons migrated there, I put the two together..Loonies are special people and they come to me for their special loons. My customers tell me I don't charge enough, but they are not willing to pay more than I ask..and,, Boring,,,another Santa, this time 54 1/2 inches tall..Started it in the 90's put it in the garage, a gal came in saw it, hauled it out, and I had to finish it for her. That's it ,thanks for looking , cordially Nad