Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 01-01-2017, 10:50 PM

Default AT Pro or Excalibur II?

Hello FMDF,

I have been doing research on both of these. I live in southern california and will do some occasional detecting on both land and water. Is the Excal good for land as it is for water, or should i go with the AT Pro?

Any recommendations on where to purchase?

Old 01-02-2017, 08:48 AM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

The Excal is very popular for salty waterwork and can be used very successfully on land but it is heavy.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/mi...-dry-land.html

For salt water hunting you probably will not enjoy the performance of the AT Pro but many love it for freshwater and land use.

If you will be spending more time in the dirt there are many that are used in Socal with great results.
The E Trac seems really popular among the great ones...many use the CTX too.
It appears FBS units work pretty well in that soil.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:31 PM
Elite Member

I would say the Excalibur is not as good on land as the at pro because while it does have discrimination it is meant for water hunting. If you want to do both I would say the ctx. The Excalibur and at pro are 2 different type of technology

Old 01-05-2017, 11:39 PM
Elite Member

Default No

Atpro is good for fresh water good for 10 foot, not salt, Excalibur is best for your ocean west coast hunting, but not for land, the head phones are hardwired, its best to get say a Excalibur for water beach hunting, and a land machine with a display screen, this sponsor has what your looking for and can point you in the wright direction, Earl http://www.myersdepot.com/

Old 01-06-2017, 09:13 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Surf Master View post
Atpro is good for fresh water good for 10 foot, not salt, Excalibur is best for your ocean west coast hunting, but not for land, the head phones are hardwired, its best to get say a Excalibur for water beach hunting, and a land machine with a display screen, this sponsor has what your looking for and can point you in the wright direction, Earl http://www.myersdepot.com/
X2 .... Call Phil at Meyers and he will bring youupto speed on all the nuances of each.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:58 PM

Wow, two machines that could not be more different and two different price ranges.
you need to answer some questions:
Water and what type?
Water and/or land?
New, mid or seasoned to the hobby?
Good ears?
Both machines are great but if you can spot the coin for the Excalibur then ditch the ATP and go with CTX. Just too many variables to make a real suggestion at this point.
I own multiple Excaliburs and a CTX. Both machines are very good. For me the Excaliburs were a much steeper learning curve as you must train your ears which takes time. That said, You can't beat them in the salt water. The CTX just gives it away IMO and has a very friendly learning curve but is not a Machine I take to the beach. On land it is an absolute beast!
In the end the choice is yours but for the money, I would move up from the ATP to the CTX. once again, my opinion.
And just for the record, I love the ATP. Have used one in the past and it is a great machine for the price. I was able tosspot the money for the CTX so moved up to it. Yes you can buy 2+ ATP for the price of the CTX but it is not even near 2+ times better than the CTX out in the field. Once again, my opinion.

Matt

Old 01-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Elite Member

Apples or hammers?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:04 PM
Elite Member

You're talking jack-of-all-trades vs master carpenter.
Excal is a (salt) beach machine. ATP will not do as well.
I believe the ATP will do better on land.
Solution, get both!