Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Old 01-01-2017, 06:45 PM

Default cleaning heavy oxidation/rust

First day out on the beach found some pull tabs and the usual junk. But I pulled up a piece of something, heavily corroded from the wash about 8 inches under the sand. Most likely it is not anything of worth but I wanted to see if i could remove the rust and corrosion on it. It was in there a while because there are sea shells in the corrosion.

I read that people use vinegar but I thought I saw on tv there was a solution you could soak this stuff in like baking soda or something. It could just be some random hunk of Iron but I thought it would be fun. If anyone has any tips please let me know.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:18 PM
Elite Member

Electrolysis or vinegar are the two tricks I use

Fisher F70, Fisher F2, 2017 clad: $33.36, Silver coins: 7, Indian heads: 1, Wheaties: 27, Gold rings: 1, Silver rings: 2, Total clad: $267.20, (after paying off the F2), Silver coins: 28, Gold rings: 4

Old 01-09-2017, 03:34 AM
Elite Member

The good thing about using vinegar is, that afterwards you can make a nice salad dressing with it.....